Song of Ice & Fire: GoT Spoilers Within (1 Viewer)

I don't think he knows how to finish it. I think he's got so much going on and didn't know how to tie it up.

I believe this, too. I believe that the story and characters expanded so far beyond his original scope that he's been looking at the end game and can't figure out how to do it. He's spoken of being afraid of "pulling a Lost" (delivering a crappy ending) in the past, and I'm starting to believe that he's just frozen. He doesn't know how to wrap it all up because of how much of it there is.

I believe this, too. I believe that the story and characters expanded so far beyond his original scope that he's been looking at the end game and can't figure out how to do it. He's spoken of being afraid of "pulling a Lost" (delivering a crappy ending) in the past, and I'm starting to believe that he's just frozen. He doesn't know how to wrap it all up because of how much of it there is.

Ha. as i started reading this I jumped to a reply starting, "well, don't call Cuse and Lindle.._ oh nevermind"

i say just settle on Azor Ahai and work back from there

I didn't complain because it's his story and he deserves to complete how and whenever he wants, but that statement is total bs. He's worked on a million things besides completing the books. Don't say today that you've been trying to finish it. Own it.

I didn't read the last book because I know that he will never finish this series. I've just decided to follow the HBO series instead.

I didn't read the last book because I know that he will never finish this series. I've just decided to follow the HBO series instead.

This may have been asked earlier in this thread but do we think HBO has a plan/contract in place to finish the series with other writers when he doesn't finish?

This may have been asked earlier in this thread but do we think HBO has a plan/contract in place to finish the series with other writers when he doesn't finish?

They have the planned conclusion to the saga. Martin shared that with them at the beginning of the series. The only issues now would be in the paths taken to the ending being different.

I don't think he wants to finish either. Once the story is done, everyone will drop him like a hot potato, and the grand ride he's been on the last 5 years will come to an end.

Personally, i can't blame the man for loving the limelight, but i wish he'd just get another writer to collaborate with to do the heavy lifting and Martin can just edit and do rewrites.

You can't expect your audience to wait forever. When the HBO show wraps, if the books aren't done or close to it, sales of the books will suffer.

They have the planned conclusion to the saga. Martin shared that with them at the beginning of the series. The only issues now would be in the paths taken to the ending being different.

You would have to think there's starting to be some serious deviation at this point. He spoke about re-writes and tinkering and changes, as well as how the show and books have increasingly been diverging into their own stories, in that blog post. I read some speculation that he may use all of that to make some significant changes in the books to further separate them from the show and, in some sense, validate his failure to get them out before their respective seasons.

And, to be fair, the differences are pretty stark (no pun intended) now. Characters from the books, with relatively significant plotlines, that never even got adapted into the show. Characters alive in the books that are dead in the show and vice versa. And he's said that some of those differences will never be accounted for. So I guess it makes some degree of sense to take the books down their own creative path if keeping up with the show is no longer an option.

Assuming they ever come out, of course.

I don't think he wants to finish either. Once the story is done, everyone will drop him like a hot potato, and the grand ride he's been on the last 5 years will come to an end.

Personally, i can't blame the man for loving the limelight, but i wish he'd just get another writer to collaborate with to do the heavy lifting and Martin can just edit and do rewrites.

You can't expect your audience to wait forever. When the HBO show wraps, if the books aren't done or close to it, sales of the books will suffer.

You seem to suggest that Martin is enjoying 15 minutes of fame. Far from it. He is a very accomplished and prolific writer with an incredibly loyal following. The book sales won't suffer and will be on par with the other books in the series. His "audience" isn't the tv show watchers and they are accustomed to waiting on him. His readers will read it no matter what. Heck, most expected it.

My only problem with his announcement is that it's basically a lie. He's been writing for all sorts of projects and has released several different things in the past couples years alone. Don't tell me you were really trying when you just released a new book a few months ago! Just admit you're working on GOT when you feel like it and you're really not concerned with finishing it before the show. The not-a-blog message he left felt disingenuous to me, and yet the comments sections has grown countless pages of fans saying they're happy waiting.

You seem to suggest that Martin is enjoying 15 minutes of fame. Far from it. He is a very accomplished and prolific writer with an incredibly loyal following. The book sales won't suffer and will be on par with the other books in the series. His "audience" isn't the tv show watchers and they are accustomed to waiting on him. His readers will read it no matter what. Heck, most expected it.

My only problem with his announcement is that it's basically a lie. He's been writing for all sorts of projects and has released several different things in the past couples years alone. Don't tell me you were really trying when you just released a new book a few months ago! Just admit you're working on GOT when you feel like it and you're really not concerned with finishing it before the show. The not-a-blog message he left felt disingenuous to me, and yet the comments sections has grown countless pages of fans saying they're happy waiting.

doesn't he also have a deal with HBO for other series?
i've heard a lot of writers talk about different tricks/tactics they use to coax stories out
it sounds like GRRM's other stories are entertaining little trollops who'll give it up with little effort - ASoIaF might be a longtime lover who has seen all the tricks and is not going to give it up so easily

I'm waiting to see how long HBO is going to try to mine the information it has while trying to give Martin time to catch up. I really don't think he will ever get it done though. It's going to take a heck of a lot to combine all the different characters, areas, subplots into a good ending. I don't see how he's going to do it to tell you the truth. He's certainly not a concise writer to begin with and to tie it up in 2000 pages is going to be a challenge.

"Blood and ashes!" Rand sat up in his tent, the always-healing, never-healed wound in his side throbbed as he dabbed the stubble on his chin with a scrap of fine Tairen lace, redolent still with the perfume of the woman who'd originally owned it. "What a dream! And I thought the Seanchan were bad!"

Jesus, talk about taking the show down a different path.

Prince Doran dead! Aegon, is faegon I guess. I can't say i'm surprised. Trystane dead in the books to Dragons and they needed to clean him up, plus Tyrion never meets Aegon on his way to Dany. I kinda figured they would write out Doran of the show, just disappointed they filled it with Sand Snakes. But I have grown to trust the writers of this show, all will be explained, and probably make for good T.V. when all is said and done.

Lats night I realized just how many storylines they have running on this show, and its probably a good thing to eliminate most of the stuff they did if it doesn't tie into the end game. Which I still thing ends up Tyrion/Jon Snow/Dany in some form or fashion. Dorne is simply there to strike up a war with the Lannisters, and I think the GreyJoys will only be a big enough factor to come invade the reach and stir up the reach.

Right now despite their private worlds falling apart (Cersei, Margery, Loras, Jamie) The houses are on stable ground. Well entrenched in their respective cities. I doubt we get anymore in depth characters I.E. Euron, Victarion, Darkstar, The gravedigger, Lady Stoneheart. We are going to have to unfortunately wait for GRRM to get off his lazy *** and write conclusions to these characters himself. But getting back to it, the show has a ton of open plots and they all moved very slow because we pretty much got one scene of each.

I felt only Sansa made any good ground, was happy to see her meet up and accept Brienne. If only because it now ties their storyline together, and I didn't particularly like either so we get both out of the way now in one dose.

The red woman, scene started so good... way to kill a boner HBO!

The Sand snakes are comical to me, not in a good way either. I am disappointed in the story turn, I thought Prince Doran was playing his position perfectly.

I have always liked Tyrion and Varys, enjoy seeing them together in Mereen, Tyrion is my favorite character on the show. He continues to play the part perfectly. Was disappointed to see the ships burning in the bay. Stuck in Mereen still, this plot is going nowhere. Its pretty clear Dany is never sailing across the narrow sea. We are basically killing time for Drogon to grow as large as Balerion, and she is going to ride in there scorched earth. Never knew why I felt it would end any other way.

Poor Arya, can't see, girl from temple comes over, beats her ***, "see you tomorrow".....

Incase you've forgotten, Bran is alive still.

I didn't think it was a particularly good episode, kinda forgettable, but the writers have earned a ton of leeway. Will be greatly anticipating next week.

I think that Syrio Forel is the faceless man still teaching Arya.

In the books it's Quentyn that gets killed by Dragons. I think Trystane is still alive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom