Songs that transport you (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Simple minds don't you forget about me came across the radio channel. I'd not heard it in decades, but instantly I was back in highschool watching what might have been the best movie of the decade. There are others out there, such as Elton John's someone saved my life tonight right after a particularly bad first love break up.

What song does it for you and why?

I'll never hear this without seeing Johnny walk of the field and fist pumping.

Last edited:
Simple minds don't you forget about me came across the radio channel. I'd not heard it on decades, but instantly I was back in highschool watching what might have been the best movie off the decade. There are others out there, such as Elton John's someone saved my life tonight right after a particularly bad first love break up.

What song does it for you and why?

I'll never hear this without seeing Johnny walk of the field and first pumping.

Anything from the 80s. Stand outs for me:

Depeche Mode- Blasphemous rumors has me skipping 6th and7th period from Benjamin Franklin ( then on Carrolton ) and hanging out with the "then girlfriend" house who lived blocks away. Inundating me with Depeche Mode and Jean loves Jezebel music.

Metallica- Four Horsemen- working at Xmas tree stand on corner of McArthur and Holiday blaring this while we all tried to stash the best looking trees in our own little area for customers LOL.

Just about every song from around 84-89 i can tell you exactly what i was doing/what it reminds me of.

Other standouts:

The The : This is the day.

Was driving home from hospital as my first daughter was just born and listening to First Wave on Satellite Radio ( When it was a giant BOX on dashboard lol ) and that song came on. Now, anytime i hear it, i am immediately in my Chevy Trailblazer driving down West Metairie.

Brown Eyed Girl- Met my wife to that song. Our first real interaction at a party 20 years ago.

Simple minds don't you forget about me

This is the song I was going to post about as soon as I saw this thread. The album this song is on, Alive and Kicking, and A-ha's The Sun Always Shines On TV were the first two cassettes I ever owned. Simple Minds was also the first concert I ever went to. My babysitter took me to see them at the UNO Lakefront Arena :)

This is the song I was going to post about as soon as I saw this thread. The album this song is on, Alive and Kicking, and A-ha's The Sun Always Shines On TV were the first two cassettes I ever owned. Simple Minds was also the first concert I ever went to. My babysitter took me to see them at the UNO Lakefront Arena :)

ok see...just saw your handle.

Utah Saints- Something good.....was a song that accompanied a bad break up w/ girl. " i just know that something good gonna happen"

crazy.

i can tell you exactly what i was doing/what it reminds me of.

This is how I am with some songs..........even if or when the songs don't have any particularly special meaning to me.

"Call Me Maybe".....duh, 2012. You literally didn't own, or ever turn on, a functioning musical device of any sort in the year 2012 if you somehow never heard that song.

Here's a song that takes me back to being in Texas Stadium in December 2006 for easily one of my top 5 favorite moments in Saints history:

Why would the Pink intro be special if I was in the stadium and not watching at home? Because they did play that song in the stadium shortly before the game started.........and that always stayed with me, for some reason..........along with the loud WHO DAT??? and DEEEEUUUUCCEEE chants coming from our fan base.

It's not like I didn't hear that song at the start of other SNF games during Pink's 1 season doing the intros..........but that game is the memory trigger associated with it.

Anything from this album:
71CNdPdaX0L._SX522_.jpg

It's summer, 1981 and my step brother just snuck me in to see the movie.

somebody started a similar thread in '14 that only had 3 replies
this is what i wrote then

i have lots, but the one(s) that popped into my head was a complicated story
i was starting the 2nd year of what would eventually end as a 7 year relationship
we lived in brooklyn but i was always on tour and she taught in Rotterdam at this time, so we didn't see each other all that much...

so i was in Buenos Aires and there was this girl (she worked in the theatre where we performed so i saw her a lot). she knew i had a girlfriend so she kept her distance, but eventually we wound up at this dance club (it was cool b/c like some of european clubs, it was a family place - all ages were there and just a really random assortment of music
- "i will always love you" by whitney houston came on and that was the first (slow) dance with argentina girl - and that pretty much started the affair
(it didn't help that it is such a crap song and girlfriend and I had made fun of it on numerous occasions)
that was the second week of a 6 week tour, so we spent about month together

flying away i had Tom Waits playing on my walkman and Foreign Affair comes on
when travelling abroad in the continental style
it's my belief one must attempt to be discreet
and subsequently bear in mind your transient position
allows you a perspective that's unique
though you'll find your itinerary's a blessing and a curse
your wanderlust won't let you settle down
and you'll wonder how you ever fathomed that you'd be content
to stay within the city limits of a small midwestern town
most vagabonds i knowed don't ever want to find the culprit
that remains the object of their long relentless quest
the obsession's in the chasing and not the apprehending
the pursuit you see and never the arrest
without fear of contradiction bon voyage is always hollered
in conjunction with a handkerchief from shore
by a girl that drives a rambler and furthermore
is overly concerned that she won't see him anymore
planes and trains and boats and buses
characteristically evoke a common attitude of blue
unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport
and the cargo that they're carrying is you
a foreign affair juxtaposed with a stateside
and domestically approved romantic fancy
is mysteriously attractive due to circumstances knowing
it will only be parlayed into a memory
tl/dr
"i will always love you" whitney houston for the paradox/irony
"Foreign Affair" Tom Waits for the poignancy

Very seldom hear this one, but Taps is particularly poignant to me. I was in basic training and the casualties were flown back to Lackland AFB every night as that played during the Panama invasion.

Hearing those planes as the song played was very powerful.

Beautiful Boy always gets me.

I would dance with my son and sing it too him when he was a baby.

"Life is what happen's to you while your busy making other plans."

For me, there are just so many, for so many different phases of life... whenever i hear one of those old K-Tel songs from the mid 70s (not long before the advent of Yacht Rock), it takes me back to running errands to the post office and TG&Y store with Mom in the green Pinto with vinyl seats.. Songs like Diamond Girl from Seals & Crofts, or Afternoon Delight, or Silly Love Songs from Wings... Then, i can hear songs today like Toto’s Rosanna or Dont You Want Me by Human League, and I’m instantly back in the early 80s at the Greased Lightning waterslide on Clearview Blvd in Metairie, right next to the Crash Landing lounge, begging my mom for Pudding Pops or Frusen Gladje ice cream at the store on the way home.... These days, whenever i hear an old song at the grocery store or in the dentist office, I’m pretty good at IDing what year it came out, within 2 or 3 years, based on where i know i was In life the first few times i heard it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom