Sony looking into putting serial numbers on PS3 games. (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I played it. It was a really crappy RTS.

It was pretty groundbreaking for its time, and evolved directly into the Command & Conquer universe.

I agree though, that in retrospect, the game doesn't hold up well.

It was pretty groundbreaking for its time, and evolved directly into the Command & Conquer universe.

I agree though, that in retrospect, the game doesn't hold up well.

Yeah, I guess for it's time it was a good RTS. It's just that because it was a RTS it really couldn't get deep into the story line and it couldn't do any character development.

Yeah, I guess for it's time it was a good RTS. It's just that because it was a RTS it really couldn't get deep into the story line and it couldn't do any character development.

Don't forget that it was also an RTS which means it has a 98.7% chance that it's gonna suck before that even slap plastic on it.

Interesting though the issue of piracy protection is (and I wonder how you might square an anarcho capitalist view point with Ms. Rand's penchant for private property) I think the above issue is also interesting. Specifically, I think the console makers and game developers have lost their way to some extent. They keep pushing the technical envelope which drives the costs up ever higher for game development, but in the end, all that gets us is unfinished games that are broken or have numerous glitches. It seems to me if the settled the graphics and physics arms race, and settled on using the currently very hight level of technology with some new and interesting story ideas, we would all be better off. Bring me new ideas for games, not new tech. Don't make me play the same game over and over again with only the addition of better graphics and physics.

If they took that appraoch, game development would be much cheaper and they would make more profits.

A true anarcho capitalist doesn't believe in Intellectual Property.

I agree that the content needs to improve through more dramatic storytelling and character depth. It wouldn't even be that expensive comparatively.

But it won't happen. The cost of the technology expected by even mediocre titles these days demands that they go for mass appeal. And most people, especially gamers, are morans. They won't appreciate well-crafted, deep, new story stiles. Look at movies - which ones make the most money? The cool indie flick, or Terminator VII?

The thing is, there should be slam dunks sneaking through every now and then. The Pulp Fictions of gaming, if you will. But there's not. From a gameplay perspective, Mirror's Edge is sorta like that - it's an interesting new (yet similar) twist on game mechanics with a cool style. But the story and characters are still weak.

There's just no profitability in that. And it's a shame, cause all this cool tech would be a lot more compelling and fun if we were more invested in the story and the characters.

These guys are stuck in a pattern of making similar games because they can't spend 50 million on a lark of any kind.

The thing is, there should be slam dunks sneaking through every now and then. The Pulp Fictions of gaming, if you will. But there's not.

there actually are but you don't care for those types of games...the Red Dead Redemptions and Assassin's Creeds of the gaming world

there actually are but you don't care for those types of games...the Red Dead Redemptions and Assassin's Creeds of the gaming world

Meh.

Regarding your earlier question about the psn, isn't it the case that hackerz have the run of the place, and the entire joint is up for grabs?

Meh.

Regarding your earlier question about the psn, isn't it the case that hackerz have the run of the place, and the entire joint is up for grabs?

i have no idea about that and the PSN works fine on my machine :shrug:

i can't seem to find much on the web about it either

They're about 3/4 of the way through the relay race and 360 has about a 5 yard lead. But the anchor runner for PS3 is from Kenya, and the last runner for 360 is...me.

2011 PS3 has a cadre of kick *** exclusives (which is the primary measure of success). Does 360 even have one big one coming out in 2011?

The console war isn't over. It's just about to go all Africa on 360.

I mean this with all due respect, Jonesy....that post is an epic failure.

A true anarcho capitalist doesn't believe in Intellectual Property.

I know. That's why I wonder how you square it with Rand.

I agree that the content needs to improve through more dramatic storytelling and character depth. It wouldn't even be that expensive comparatively.

But it won't happen. The cost of the technology expected by even mediocre titles these days demands that they go for mass appeal. And most people, especially gamers, are morans. They won't appreciate well-crafted, deep, new story stiles. Look at movies - which ones make the most money? The cool indie flick, or Terminator VII?

The thing is, there should be slam dunks sneaking through every now and then. The Pulp Fictions of gaming, if you will. But there's not. From a gameplay perspective, Mirror's Edge is sorta like that - it's an interesting new (yet similar) twist on game mechanics with a cool style. But the story and characters are still weak.

There's just no profitability in that. And it's a shame, cause all this cool tech would be a lot more compelling and fun if we were more invested in the story and the characters.

These guys are stuck in a pattern of making similar games because they can't spend 50 million on a lark of any kind.

I guess what I'm saying is that the technology already exists that is beyond great, so if they stopped that arms race, they could concentrate on better stories and interesting ideas since they wouldn't have to spend lots of money on new tech. That would result in games being cheaper to make and larger profits for the developers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom