Sound options for TV (1 Viewer)

CerealKiller

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I am adding a room onto my house and will be adding a large TV to it. Probably 75" to 85".

On my current TV, the sound goes back to a Blu-Ray player which has 5 speakers and a woofer connected to it. Even if I choose an app on the smart TV, it's smart enough to send the sound to the Blu-Ray (which would otherwise be HDMI input, rather than output).

With my new TV. I'm looking to set up the sound for it. I would prefer to have more than just one sound-bar speaker.

How do you guys have your system set up? Do you have recommendations?

So your bluray player is actually an AV receiver with a player built in. So it's processing the sound and sending it to the speakers. You can do the same with your new TV using the ARC HDMI port, which sends and receivers. That is how you were sending sound from the TV to the receiver.

Basically, you need to get another receiver and speaker set if you want surround sound.

(if) money is no object, I'd go with the Sony HT-A9 cost is $1999 and that is w/o a sub.
base unit consists of wireless speakers - that can be placed anywhere, that connect to a central "hub", and does self-calibration based on the size and shape of your room for optimal audio performance.

Are you looking for 5.1, 7.1, 5.2, 7.2, 9.x, etc?

You definitely want a HDMI 2.1 Receiver.

Don't buy speaker wire. Buy lamp cord. It's better, and less expensive. Go to home Depot and buy it in any length that you want. Run the wire before the drywall goes up, if you can

Are you looking for 5.1, 7.1, 5.2, 7.2, 9.x, etc?

You definitely want a HDMI 2.1 Receiver.

Don't buy speaker wire. Buy lamp cord. It's better, and less expensive. Go to home Depot and buy it in any length that you want. Run the wire before the drywall goes up, if you can
I do not recommend running lamp cord inside walls as it is not fire rated. 14 gauge CL2 fire-rated speaker wire is not that expensive and you have the peace of mind that it is fire rated. It would suck to have your insurance company deny a claim because you violated code by using non-fire rated wire.

https://www.parts-express.com/Audtek-14A2C250-In-Wall-CL2-14-2-Speaker-Wire-250-ft.-100-1008 - 250 ft of 14 gauge CL2 fire rated wire is $52 for 21 cents per foot
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-18-2-White-Lamp-Cord-By-the-Foot/4294343 - per foot 18 gauge lamp cord for 46 cents per foot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwi...tranded-CU-SPT-1-Lamp-Wire-49909544/202316302 - 250 ft of 18 gauge lamp cord is $58 for 23 cents per foot

As for what components to purchase, that is all about budget. I would look into a decent AV receiver, Sony or Yamaha both have great bang for buck, and pair that with a decent 5.1 speaker system to start out. The Klipsch Reference Theater pack would be a good place to look, it is retail for $1k, but you can find it on sale frequently for $400ish. You could easily get a really nice set-up for under $1k.

I personally have a Denon Flagship AV Receiver, Infinity towers and surrounds, and an 18" Ultimax sub with 3k watt amp providing the low-end. I am overkill, but I enjoy explosions!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom