Source: Trump envisions bill allowing many immigrants to stay in US (1 Viewer)

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
(CNN)President Donald Trump envisions compromise immigration legislation where those who aren't serious or violent criminals could stay in the US legally, hold a job and pay taxes, without having to worry about being deported, a senior administration official told reporters Tuesday.

The President is eager to pass an immigration bill, the official said, and is thinking about adding the topic to his speech tonight before a joint session of Congress. Either way, an immigration bill remains a desire for his first term. The topic of enforcing current immigration laws is already in the speech, the official said.
The President believes that the nation is now in a position where it can pass immigration legislation, the senior administration official said, with the need to have "a softening on both sides. There's got to be a coming together."

A path to citizenship for those in the country illegally would not be part of Trump's vision for this deal, with the possible exception of "Dreamers" -- those brought into the US illegally as children. Trump does not see the bill as something that would necessarily upset his base, since both sides would need to compromise.
Trump may add immigration section to speech - CNNPolitics.com

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Legal status to everyone who is here but not a "serious or violent" criminal? Yeah, I'm sure his base would love that (/sarcasm).

Will be very interesting to see how the Hill reacts. Democrats should cheer this proposal but will they be too blinded to do so? Will it bring about a split with GOP leadership?

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It incredible that he said that. He's been saying the exact opposite for 2 years since he started his campaign.

I agree, this is a step in the right direction if he actually means it. The problem is you never know what Trump means when he says something. He can go right back to calling Mexicans rapist and murders and it wouldn't surprise anybody.

Also, will the Tea Party in congress go along with this? I doubt it.

One caveat, he needs to pull back on the immigration raids if he's serious about this. It's been documented several times that ICE has overstepped it's constitutional authority with some of these immigration raids that have been going on. That needs to stop yesterday.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
There isn't any realistic solution that doesn't allow the vast majority of those here illegally to stay.

I don't think we should deny anyone allowed to live here permanently access to the citizenship process. It essentially creates a caste system.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm.

"You can stay, but you'll never be a citizen." However, the kids will. It's not good, but it's better than "We'll use the Army to round you up and deport you."

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm.

"You can stay, but you'll never be a citizen." However, the kids will. It's not good, but it's better than "We'll use the Army to round you up and deport you."
That's kind of how I see it as well. With the temperature of the country the way it is, a full amnesty program will never pass mustard with the anti-immigration crowd. If we could at least have a path to documentation and legality for these undocumented immigrants that have lived here for years and don't pose a threat to our country, then I think it's a step in the right direction.

While I do see the concern of creating a caste system, legality at least affords this population protections under the law and removes the fears of being separated from their families. Given that their children would be American citizens, I think they'd accept that over no path to legality and the current hostility.

If this can get done now, maybe later once the hysteria over illegal immigration has died down, a path to citizenship for this population can be proposed.

LandoCommmando

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
What people tend to forget or knowingly ignore is that *illegals* are owed nothing. They are *illegally* in the country, therefore they're criminals no matter what. Being an American and being granted citizenship isn't a right, it's a privilege.

WhoDatPhan78

Reaction score
What people tend to forget or knowingly ignore is that *illegals* are owed nothing. They are *illegally* in the country, therefore they're criminals no matter what. Being an American and being granted citizenship isn't a right, it's a privilege.

Do you believe that you are owed something simply because the doctor pulled you out of your mothers vagina on the right side of an imaginary line?

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
So, what it seems they're saying is that the parents of children would be able to obtain greencard status making them premanent legal residents but not allow them to become full citizens while their kids would be full citizens. Am I getting that right?

WhoDatPhan78

Reaction score
So, what it seems they're saying is that the parents of children would be able to obtain greencard status making them premanent legal residents but not allow them to become full citizens while their kids would be full citizens. Am I getting that right?

I doubt they will get actual green cards or be called permanent legal residents, because that's part of the path to citizenship.

It will probably be something more similar to DACA, where they are given employment authorization cards, and allowed to renew them every few years.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I doubt they will get actual green cards or be called permanent legal residents, because that's part of the path to citizenship.

It will probably be something more similar to DACA, where they are given employment authorization cards, and allowed to renew them every few years.
Yeah, I was kinda combining an interview I heard on an NPR podcast last night with the article in the OP. The interview I heard mentioned greencards as being the best someone illegal currently could hope for moving forward.

Your scenario does seem more likely based on the rhetoric Trump has been using since he started his campaign.

I guess it will ultimately come down to what Congress does with his proposals, and we can hope that there can be at least enough bipartisan support for permanent legal status for immigrants who are here illegally but have been contributing to society for their entire time here and haven't done something to land them with the label of "bad hombrés"

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
If you really want to solve the problem you are going to have to do something like this. And it is perfectly reasonable, though not ideal for any side.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom