Southern Baptist leaders covered up sex abuse (1 Viewer)

We had some issues in my Southern Baptist church growing up. Luckily I wasn't a target, but I think a lot more happened than even what was revealed.

What was publicly revealed never reached the point of abuse, but it was close. And a friend told me a story, which was definitely abuse, then said he was only joking and it didn't really happen when I freaked out about it. I always thought the story was true and probably a few others as well.

The pastor in question was allowed to resign, but was still pastoring at a different church the last time I checked.

We had some issues in my Southern Baptist church growing up. Luckily I wasn't a target, but I think a lot more happened than even what was revealed.

What was publicly revealed never reached the point of abuse, but it was close. And a friend told me a story, which was definitely abuse, then said he was only joking and it didn't really happen when I freaked out about it. I always thought the story was true and probably a few others as well.

The pastor in question was allowed to resign, but was still pastoring at a different church the last time I checked.
In the early and mid-80's my mother worked for Catholic Charities and Social Services. She described the pastor at the local Catholic church as "Liking the little boys" When I asked if he would be stood up against a wall and shot, she said "No, they moved him to a different church" Shortly thereafter, mom resigned.

No wonder people are leaving organized religion.

Yup. The biggest bunch of hypocrites on the planet. Try to deflect to the sins of others to cover up their own atrocities.
The thing is, I see church's do some really amazing things. I see it first hand after disasters and with some really incredible people that wouldn't know what malice looks like.

Problem is, if you aren't speaking out against an organization for systemic sexual abuse to children then you are supporting it. I mean, how do you stand with an organization that routinely and knowingly places child molestors in positions of power and trust over children to protect financial donations? Every group is going to have bad apples but what has been exposed in the Catholic and Baptist churches goes well above random averages. Then covering it up, victim shaming and actively protecting the child molestors?

Even after getting caught red handed, neither the Catholic Church or Baptist Church released the names of the child molestors. I think it took the Catholic church 7 years from the first investigational report and the Baptist are saying what everyone wants to hear but still refusing to release the names of grown men that like to use their position of power to stick their penis in children. It's not ok and they should be held criminally liable right now. It's also really messed up that law enforcement tends to side with these groups and it has prevented large scale raids. If this was any other group it would have been done years ago.

Yeah, unfortunately, this happens far too often. Some churches are good about preventing and nipping stuff in the bud before more damage is done. Others close ranks and end up protecting the predators.

Being a former minister myself, I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. My anecdotal experience was fortunately largely good, but that can't be said for everyone.

The thing is, I see church's do some really amazing things. I see it first hand after disasters and with some really incredible people that wouldn't know what malice looks like.

Problem is, if you aren't speaking out against an organization for systemic sexual abuse to children then you are supporting it. I mean, how do you stand with an organization that routinely and knowingly places child molestors in positions of power and trust over children to protect financial donations? Every group is going to have bad apples but what has been exposed in the Catholic and Baptist churches goes well above random averages. Then covering it up, victim shaming and actively protecting the child molestors?

Even after getting caught red handed, neither the Catholic Church or Baptist Church released the names of the child molestors. I think it took the Catholic church 7 years from the first investigational report and the Baptist are saying what everyone wants to hear but still refusing to release the names of grown men that like to use their position of power to stick their penis in children. It's not ok and they should be held criminally liable right now. It's also really messed up that law enforcement tends to side with these groups and it has prevented large scale raids. If this was any other group it would have been done years ago.
Fwiw, at risk to their own professions, I personally know pastors and ministers who speak out against their church's actions when it comes to accountability. They just rarely are heard, and more rarely are reported in the press.

Ministers and pastors who have been proven guilty of what they're accused of doing in the case of abusing children should be in jail and be banned from possessing credentials. They should also be on the sex offenders registry like everyone else and ineligible to be in a pastoral or ministry role for the rest of their life.

I know pastors who have committed suicide, and in a couple of cases where there was a murder-suicide in the family. It's heartbreaking and affects a lot of people.

I loved being a minister and I don't regret any of it, but it was the hardest and most stressful profession I've ever had. I intentionally avoided working with kids because seeing other ministers get accused of child abuse legitimately scared me. A lot of ministers have gotten accused and most of the time it was a false alarm because they took steps to prevent being put in compromising situations, i.e. never being alone in their office or church with another minor, never allowing child care in the church without 2 adults present, and doing due diligence on anyone volunteering for child care. The pastors are supposed to be liable for what happens in child care or schools, so who they place in positions of authority is critical.

The problem is some pastors don't perform the recommended diligence because they think it won't happen to them...until it does.

I think it's also disheartening that they likely have a good percentage of those Q folks who think there's an underground pedophile plot ruling the country and drinking baby blood under a pizza place who didn't bat an eye at what was going on in their own church.

We have all seen this act multiple times....accuse others of doing what you are doing....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom