SP needs to retake over playcalling (1 Viewer)

jarrod74

I may be canadian but my heart is in the Big Easy
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think ! Need some one up stairs

Doesn't Carmichael coach from the sidelines regardless of who is calling the plays? They've got plenty people upstairs regardless of who is calling the plays.

I'm gonna let Payton do his thing in silence as far as this is concerned. He's earned the latitude with the offensive production over the past decade to do whatever the hell he wants with the offense.

Payton has called plenty of duds of a game over the years as well.

Doesn't Carmichael coach from the sidelines regardless of who is calling the plays?

Yeah, the OP doesn't make a lot of sense. When Payton calls plays, he's on the sidelines (except when he had that knee injury). But Carmichael has been on the sidelines too when calling plays.

I do wonder, though, if there's any benefit from calling plays from the box.

Honestly, despite the fact that we should have tried to run more in the 2nd half after the tie game, the play calling wasn't terrible. I know I have been critical of it, but after sitting with it, it was a good game plan to target the TE.

The personnel should have gotten a look, I would have liked to see Manhertz in on at least one of those targets to the TE.

If he's active, why can't he see the field?
Seeing if Lewis had any juice would have been a good idea as well.

We sub a lot and a lot of OCs prefer to be on the sideline for various reasons (direct contact with players, helping with assignments, etc.).

Many of the best offenses in the league have play-callers who do it from the sideline. There's just nothing to back up the idea that putting someone in the booth changes anything.

Yeah, the OP doesn't make a lot of sense. When Payton calls plays, he's on the sidelines (except when he had that knee injury). But Carmichael has been on the sidelines too when calling plays.

I do wonder, though, if there's any benefit from calling plays from the box.

I don't want to equate the two because one is archaic and probably the worst in all of college football and the other is trend setting in the NFL, but according to Cam Cameron, there is a huge difference in calling plays from upstairs vs. on the sidelines - in his opinion at least. He's one of the guys who thinks that seeing all 22 from the sky helps diagnose things mid-game and helps his playcalling (though they still cannot make an in game adjustment to save their jobs).

Payton's got guys in the booth upstairs relaying info down to he and Carmichael, so I guess they think that they've got the "eye in the sky" view covered as far as calling plays is concerned since they're getting the video feed to the sidelines right after a series is over - as can be seen with Drew and his iPad sitting on the bench going over things with Carmichael/Payton.

When it comes to the offense though, I am not qualified to criticize what we're doing. If we looked like crap on defense this past week, I'd say we should consider changing who calls the defense and maybe have them move upstairs, but the defense did more than well enough for the Saints to win that game.

ive said it once and i'll say it again, there is no chance that payton is standing by idly if someone else is making those kind of mistakes. we saw him get up in rob's business and that's not even sean's side of the ball. lotta folks here seem to think that carmichael all of a sudden got the keys to the offense. sorry but sean was on the sideline with a headset and a playsheet too, and we still saw the same cutesy playcalling in crunch time that we've grown accustomed to. so either sean was making the calls, he's vetoing carmichael, or pete's really just making the same mistakes we've seen over the last few seasons, in which case as HC sean should be seeing this pattern and correcting it.

There's not much point in having Payton, who is supposed to be a masterful offensive mind and play caller, as our head coach if he's not calling the plays. He hasn't shown to be particularly good at any other aspect of head coaching.

With that being said, I'm on board with Carmichael as our next head coach if that's what they decided. It would clear up a lot of aspects of the organization to be honest.

ive said it once and i'll say it again, there is no chance that payton is standing by idly if someone else is making those kind of mistakes. we saw him get up in rob's business and that's not even sean's side of the ball. lotta folks here seem to think that carmichael all of a sudden got the keys to the offense. sorry but sean was on the sideline with a headset and a playsheet too, and we still saw the same cutesy playcalling in crunch time that we've grown accustomed to. so either sean was making the calls, he's vetoing carmichael, or pete's really just making the same mistakes we've seen over the last few seasons, in which case as HC sean should be seeing this pattern and correcting it.

We saw Pete call for an entire season in 2012. It looked a whole lot like what we saw yesterday.

Pete does not like to force the run anymore then Payton does. There's no conspiracy with Payton overriding him. That's just who Pete is.

We saw Pete call for an entire season in 2012. It looked a whole lot like what we saw yesterday.

Pete does not like to force the run anymore then Payton does. There's no conspiracy with Payton overriding him. That's just who Pete is.

yeah the same dumb decisions we've been seeing for the past few years. again, it really doesn't matter. if someone else is responsible for putting the ball in coleman and cadet's hands when the game is on the line, it's just as much payton's fault for letting it happen. a smart coach would have stopped them before they got lined up and sent out, i dunno, our best receivers to convert crucial first downs to win the game. no excuse for going to our worst receivers in that position.

This thread is funny.

I'm almost certain I've seen several posts over the last few years saying "Payton needs to check his ego and let Carmichael call the plays".

Now this.

Ok I didn't realize Carmichael was always on the side line I though he was up in the booth

There's not much point in having Payton, who is supposed to be a masterful offensive mind and play caller, as our head coach if he's not calling the plays. He hasn't shown to be particularly good at any other aspect of head coaching.

Uh . . . ambush? Ever heard of it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom