SpaceX about to launch Starlink satellites (1 Viewer)

Where in MS are you?
I'm about half way between Jackson and Hattiesburg. And the cells just opened up in my area, I have been watching through the map link below and than I got the email.

1650982892404.png

I'm about half way between Jackson and Hattiesburg. And the cells just opened up in my area, I have been watching through the map link below and than I got the email.

1650982892404.png

Gotcha, my brother in law was on the list east of Columbus, but I think they ended up running fiber through his neighborhood.

Gotcha, my brother in law was on the list east of Columbus, but I think they ended up running fiber through his neighborhood.
I was hoping the Electric Co-Op would run the fiber by me but they had no timeline in the future for our road. They are cheaper by about $20 a month and of course no equipment fees.

I saw a Starlink array last night for the first time. I love looking at sheet in the night sky and have apps to tell me when to look. I usually see the ISS maybe 10 times a year or more. But I have never seen a Starlink flyover.

I'm in the NC mountains right now and last night the sky was crystal clear. I could see the Milky Way and there was an ISS pass around 10:30 that looked like it was going to be straight overhead and not off to the side like they often are. So I set an alarm and then went out to see it. It was an awesome pass, really bright and straight over head. As it faded into the ground clutter to the north, I turned west and saw a weird line above the horizon, faint but getting brighter. As it rose, I didn't know what it was - I checked FlightRadar thinking it might be a weird con trail but there were no planes at all in that area.

Then I realized it was Starlink. It got brighter and brighter and as it got overhead I could see the individual satellites. Really freakin cool - and right after an ISS pass. Rad.

I got a funny story about seeing the star link train.

I was sitting on my deck in the evening and never even knew about these satellites. So when I first saw them I was freaked out thinking I'm seeing some UFO. Then a helicopter showed up spot lighting the area so I was getting all amped up thinking "Well.... I guess this is the night I have to fight the predator!":alien:

But after some quick searches with my phone I found out what it was, also the helicopter was the police looking for someone who was trying to commit suicide.

Good thing for phones because another 5 mins, I would have been covered in mud hiding in a tree.:ROFLMAO:

Interesting. Sixty seems like a lot.

Note that we are now in excess of 5,000 satellites orbiting the Earth according to the UN's space office.

Artist's rendition:
1573483775451.png

Sounds like a lot, but considering the size of the earth is just under 200 million square miles, it's not like there isn't much room for more satellites to put up there. Those satellites have plenty of room to roam. There still does need to be some coordination so that they don't bump into each other, but shouldn't be that hard.

Edit: Just realized this was a bumped thread, so...lol.

Sounds like a lot, but considering the size of the earth is just under 200 million square miles, it's not like there isn't much room for more satellites to put up there. Those satellites have plenty of room to roam. There still does need to be some coordination so that they don't bump into each other, but shouldn't be that hard.

Edit: Just realized this was a bumped thread, so...lol.

Starlink has “collision avoidance” activations like 137 times a day. That’s 25,000 in six months.

Starlink has “collision avoidance” activations like 137 times a day. That’s 25,000 in six months.

Cool. Interesting that a lot of the maneuvering had to do with the Russians deploying anti-sattelite objects/debris in 2021.

And clearly, there are a whole lot more satellites out there than when the article I quoted was written.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom