SpaceX Falcon9 with Crew Dragon capsule launch (Update: return splashdown @ 2:48 EDT 8/2/20) (1 Viewer)

Acquisition of signal!

The 4 main chutes have deployed! Yes!

And splashdown is complete!

Where the heck was the Coast Guard or Navy?

I didn't notice the spectator boats until the crane ship was almost to the capsule, but it didn't appear like the spectator boats got in the way any. I wasn't paying attention 100% of the time though.

Where the heck was the Coast Guard or Navy?
This was an mission contracted to Space Ex. the Navy and Coast Guard were likely near by incase of an emergency but Space Ex had full control over the mission. They executed it perfectly as planeed.

I know this mission is contracted, but the personnel are still NASA. What a difference compared to the Apollo missions. Back then the Navy was waiting with helicopters and carriers, today SpaceX trotted out a 30 year old obsolete(by oilfield standards) supply boat.

I know this mission is contracted, but the personnel are still NASA. What a difference compared to the Apollo missions. Back then the Navy was waiting with helicopters and carriers, today SpaceX trotted out a 30 year old obsolete(by oilfield standards) supply boat.

One could argue those are examples of government waste versus capitalist efficiency. It seemed to get the mission accomplished.

Space-ex had everything they needed nearby including speed boats that raced to the capsule within seconds of it landing, attached lines and towed it to ship that pulled it on board. That ship was specially designed for these type of missions and is more modern that anything the Navy or Coast Guard has that can lift the capsule on board. The entire mission from launch to splash down has gone exactly as planned.

No way man, that is an obsolete supply boat contracted to SpaceX. They slapped an A frame on there and a rinkadink helipad. Nothing state of the art about it save for possibly the communication equipment. Same company that uses crewboats with giant nets to catch the Falcon Heavy fairings.

Man, was that a picture perfect test flight or what? Next up will be final certification and then SpaceX can begin regular launches to ISS.

I guess Tom Cruise can go to ISS next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom