Spagnola Defense (1 Viewer)

The backend of KC defense is terrible.

Why everywhere he goes does that teams defenses play lights out but he comes to New Orleans and our players can’t execute the scheme/defense?

I don't think anybody in the secondary or at LB starts on this Saints defense.

I think there's two ways to be a successful coach. One, you adjust your scheme to fit your players like Payton. The other is pick your scheme, assuming it's a good one, and get the players to fit it. But, that takes longer to be successful.

I think it's just that he didn't have the players to execute his scheme. From what I recall Payton didn't initially want to fire him. But, in the year-end review, he threw others under the bus rather than owning up. Otherwise, I think Payton would have given him another shot.

Why everywhere he goes does that teams defenses play lights out but he comes to New Orleans and our players can’t execute the scheme/defense?
Here are his defensive DVOA ranks as a DC since leaving the Saints:

Giants
2015 - 27th
2016 - 3rd
2017 - 25th

Chiefs
2019 - 14th
2020 - 22nd
2021 - 24th
2022 - 17th

Hardly lights out, his defense was bottom third in 4 out of 7 years, only top 10 once. He gets away with it in KC with Mahomes and Reid crushing it on offense. Great game for them tonight, but he doesn’t put consistently great defenses on the field.

KC isn’t in the NFC South. They play great teams all year

It’s been a long time now but I seem to remember players not liking him. Was that the issue too? I can remember Shanle making a few comments here and there. it felt like there was a mutiny on that side of the ball.

It’s been a long time now but I seem to remember players not liking him. Was that the issue too? I can remember Shanle making a few comments here and there. it felt like there was a mutiny on that side of the ball.
I forgot about that, but one anonymous Saints defender felt strongly about moving on from him at DC:

I forgot about that, but one anonymous Saints defender felt strongly about moving on from him at DC:

Did the writer of that article seriously not understand why a player would hold on to that information until after the season was over?

Give him a good line and his defense can play. We didn't have that in 2012.

According to Tony Romo it's because he saves his best plays for the playoffs, and we never made the playoffs. So clearly it's that /s

Didn't have the right personnel.

I think the players have a lot to do with it. When you have a front like KC, it’s a lot easier for the whole defense to shine IMO
This right here. It’s all about his Dline. Find those kinds of guys like Justin Tuck. Move him all along the Dline. Stop investing in raw guys like Davenport who has failed to learn any pass rushing techniques

Except for the terrible defensive play, I really enjoyed the Rob Ryan DC years. It was fun seeing him pop into various local establishments after games.
The third down siren at the Dome to warn you Ryan’s defense would blow this call. Thankfully we gave that noise thing to Atlanta .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom