Spark plug problem... (1 Viewer)

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Isuzu Trooper. I was changing the spark plugs out, and couldn't remove two of the boots. So, now I have three new and three old plugs, and the car is running rough. Also, there was oil in one of the plug holes. The one right next to the oil fill hole. Auto Zone says they don't have a puller tool, and my mechanic can't look at it till Tuesday. Any suggestions?

i agree the wires will be cheaper then paying a mechanic, maybe 20-30 bucks for the set. If youre saying oil is getting on one of the plugs, ask autozone for an anti-foul spark plug adaptor thing, its like a spacer that holds the plug farther away from the head

Or u could use a regular socket to get it out. I had one of those spark plug sockets and the boot would keep on coming off. Try a regular socket.

ok, to clear things up:

you have oil in the spark plug tube right? not the electrode of the plug? in that case, you need to change the grommets that seperate the spark plug tube from the valve cover. those grommets come with a valve cover gasket set.

for the spark plug wires, just grab the rubber boot with a pair of needle nose pliers and yank them out. if you break the wires, they should have been changed anyway when you change the plugs so its no big deal. if the metal clip stays attached to the spark plug instead of coming out with the wire, then just use a regular socket instead of a spark plug socket (the kind with the rubber that holds the tip of the plug). the regular socket wont pull the plug out with it, but you can just slip the spark plug boot back in and use it to pull the loose plug out.

Push your Isuzu on to some train tracks, tell the insurance company someone stole it.

Buy a Toyota.

I dont have spark plug wires, just the igition coil packs baby! However when they go out, my wallet wishes I had plug wires.

I have a 2001 Isuzu Trooper. I was changing the spark plugs out, and couldn't remove two of the boots. So, now I have three new and three old plugs, and the car is running rough. Also, there was oil in one of the plug holes. The one right next to the oil fill hole. Auto Zone says they don't have a puller tool, and my mechanic can't look at it till Tuesday. Any suggestions?

See Optimusaint's recommendations for the oil in the plug hole. However, if its right next to the fill hole, it could be where excess spillage is collecting while being filled, if someone else is doing the filling, like when you take it to get changed at a shop.

As far as the plug wires go, use a pair of long needle nose on them, but instead of just yanking them, twist them back and forth a few times, well, maybe more then a few. grip it kinda hard. and try and grip it as deep as posible, so as not to grab just the wire. more then likely, the terminal has corroded to the plug tip. Short of that, you will have to yank then, and get a new set. I wouldn't be shocked though if that set was kinda expensive too. So, you may wanna look that up. Most of the big chain parts stores have parts listings online.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom