Special Teams continues to cost us games (1 Viewer)

reerunn

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
At least 2 wins every year lost to bad kick coverage, horrible field position, bad snaps, kicking carousel. You could argue we're 3-0 with solid special teams play. Someone as cutthroat as Sean Payton knows what the issue is and refuses to address it. I am excited to tank and root against Greg McMahon all season until something happens. I love Coach Payton but he has to go if he can't fire McMahon himself.

At least 2 wins every year lost to bad kick coverage, horrible field position, bad snaps, kicking carousel. You could argue we're 3-0 with solid special teams play. Someone as cutthroat as Sean Payton knows what the issue is and refuses to address it. I am excited to tank and root against Greg McMahon all season until something happens. I love Coach Payton but he has to go if he can't fire McMahon himself.

:worthy:

They've been bad to average at best for years and yet he doesn't do anything so I don't expect him to whack McMahon any time soon.

Harris #21, running into the punt-returner, that was the poorest play I have seen in a long time! He should of been benched, but He was back out on the field in the next special team insertion. Terrible defensive play and even worse coaching.

The last few years special teams like everything other glaring problem on this team Doesn't Get Fixed!!

This group of coaches has been frustratingly unable to fix the problems a blind man could see are wrong. From not being able to develop talent to not drafting well over all to making some horrible FA choices its just been a MAJOR FAIL!

Sadly its hard to see any thing that points to it getting any better anytime soon. SIGH

Harris #21, running into the punt-returner, that was the poorest play I have seen in a long time! He should of been benched, but He was back out on the field in the next special team insertion. Terrible defensive play and even worse coaching.

That would have been historical if it wasn't my team.

I just want to know if the Saints actually know what it is to block an opponent's FG attempt? I mean we give no effort. Anyway Greg McMahon like Joe Vitt must have something on Sean Payton otherwise I cannot fathom why they are still coaching on this team.

The kicking/punt return coverage has been absolutely terrible and you make NO change at that coaching position?

I don't like to blame the ST coach for a kicker missing kicks. I think there should be a kickers coach in the team. If the guy never was a kicker in his life how can he teach a kicker?

That said, the ST coach is responsible for the O line protecting on kicks. He needs to protect the kicker so he can only think about his job. And it's clear the saints are not doing a good job at it. Not only the blocked kick against the giants but there was an almost block on a punt yesterday (on the roughing the punter penalty).

When you add that with the kickoff and punt coverage and block on returns it's clear that McMahon needs to be gone.

In a culture of accountability, it does seem like our ST are never special.

If we didn't have Morstead, who covers for a host of sins, it would be even worse.

Anyway Greg McMahon like Joe Vitt must have something on Sean Payton otherwise I cannot fathom why they are still coaching on this team.

They played at the same college. I think McMahon graduated the year before Payton got there (might have overlapped?), but there is obviously a tight relationship there

We've all been over this before. Vitt & McMahon know where the bodies are buried. They aren't leaving until Payton does.

I called for him to get fired like 3 years ago... how many playoff wins do we have since then?

McMahon absolutely needs to go. If there's a real weakness for Payton, it's that he's completely ignoring the poor performance of the Special Teams. If not for the blocked FG for TD and the fumbled punt which led to a TD, the outcome of the last 2 games would be dramatically different. I'm tired of seeing the same crappy ST unit every season over the last 3-4 years. McMahon might be a great guy, but as coordinator, he's done diddly poo. He has to go.

If it doesn't happen, then the talk about accountability is a farce.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom