Special Teams Discussion (Merged) (1 Viewer)

saints15

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Special teams needsx an overhaul - New coach even.

Defense was on the field a lot. Saints offense either scored quick or short drives. They were tired. JMO

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
No reason to not have Morestead booming touchbacks.

I could care less about hangtime if Morestead is putting them in the endzone.

And yeah, fire the STs coach.

claborde

Veteran
Reaction score
hey lets keep our heads up we played a tough talented team on there home field it was good win for guys yes we have some stuff to clean up but a win is a win in the NFL

Spec

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
The special teams unit was woeful on the returns, but at least Hartley and the rest of the FG kicking unit has apparently gotten their act together.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Special teams needsx an overhaul - New coach even.

Defense was on the field a lot. Saints offense either scored quick or short drives. They were tired. JMO

The defense was on the field a lot because they kept giving up long 3rd down conversions and let Palmer look like a good QB.

Sometimes a D being out there too long is the offense's fault. Today it was the defense's fault.

Innotech

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
yes. I was screaming at the TV all game long about the special teams. Defense didnt play their best, but they cant be blamed if they have to constantly defend only half the field. I mean seriously, the special teams must improve or we will lose a close game.

bradman1965

Redacted
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
hey lets keep our heads up we played a tough talented team on there home field it was good win for guys yes we have some stuff to clean up but a win is a win in the NFL

I agree completely, but if we don't get to talk about this ST performance this week there wouldn't be much to talk about.

FlySaint

Carving up the skies!!!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Payton has been good about playing the best players (e.g. Ivory, Moore,etc). Sames needs to go for the coaches. The ST coach is not performing. Every phase of STs have been poor this year - KO and Punt coverage and returns, FGs.

We're in position to challenge again for the Super Bowl, need to get the STs fixed now!!

saintmdterps

“I don’t need a ride, I need ammunition”
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Special teams is/are a liability, but 11 penalties for 100 yards is inexcusable. That's just plain sloppy

Reaction score
starting every defensive series on our close to our side of the 50 is not going to help the defense at all.

that 12 men on the field penalty was just plain Dumb!

Vermont Saint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Morestead's injury in the preseason (or early in the season) prevents him from performing the kickoffs. Re: This game- I do think the weather had some effect on both special team units.

jackers

Voted Ron Paul - '08
Reaction score
Didn't Gregg Williams always coach special teams for other teams? Maybe he needs to into that position here as well.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Morestead's injury in the preseason (or early in the season) prevents him from performing the kickoffs. I do think the weather had some effect on both special team units.

He's fine now though and boomed a touchback a few weeks ago when Hartley got hurt.

I think it's time to put him back out there.

BreesusSaves

MAAAARK INGRAM
Reaction score
HOW IS GREG MCMAHON STILL EMPLOYED?

My God... its a good thing you can count on the Bengals to screw themselves because against any halfway decent team, letting them start on your side of the field for half the game = blowout loss.

rlmarine

I hate refs
Reaction score
The 12 men on the field is a fireable offense. Under no circumstances outside of the preseason should that ever happen, much less in a playoff push.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest SaintsReport Originals

Utopia Draft: The Saints' Ideal (Realistic) Scenario
By Dan Levy - posted 4/28/2022

Sea Change: Taysom Hill's "New" Role and What it Means for the Saints
By Dan Levy - posted 4/06/2022

Q&A: AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dan Levy
5/8/22 | 4/20/22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines