Special Teams need to improve (1 Viewer)

chrisandersen

The new section 152
Reaction score
Returners = D
KO returns: Roby, 22.8 yd/ret , 23rd in NFL
Punt Returns: Bush, 4.7 yd/ret, 25th in NFL

Punting = C+
Morestead is 19th in punting average, but has only allowed 7 of his 15 to be returned and has not had a TB yet. Return yardage is 8.4 yds/ret.

Kicking B-
Carney is 6-7 in FG, 18-18 in XP, but has no range.

Kickoffs B-
Morestead has 9 TB's out of 29, but the 19 returns avg 26.0 yds

the closer we are to mid field, the less likely it is that we get to let morstead show how strong is leg actually is.....he looks like he was well worth the pick not only punting but learnin how to kick off as well and doing a fantastic job at that

hartley has range as a kicker.....they both are pretty accurate....getting hartley back will help

reggie is doing terrible as a punt returner this season but roby is doing fine returning kicks.....if he gets out past the 20 yard line then he did his job

Your grade on punting is WAAAAAY off. Morestead deserves a B+ at worst.

The reason 7 of Morsteads 15 punts haven't been returned, thereby hurting his average, are because he's constantly punting inside the 20 inciting Fair Catches.

Morstead has been great. Your stats are skewed.

Your kickoff stats are skewed also. 9 TB's in 29 kicks is great. The average also doesn't take into effect where the ball as received (in the endzone? at the 1? at the 5?) which ultimately plays into where the kick is likely to be covered.

There's also the fact that the first game skewed things greatly also. We've since added three players to ST's (Roby, Young, and Jenkins) who've all made a huge difference.

This is not on Morestead, it's on the coverage team. Gosh, if he didn't make the two tackles, that's 14 points. But, our ST coverage is the worst part of the team.
Today, the Giants were:
Punt returns= 2 for 12.5 yard average
KO Returns = 7 for 32 yard average

saw morstead had a 58 yarder today that got returned for nearly 35 yards......thats rough when the punter can plant a team back in their own 20 and they return it back to midfield

Agreed, this is the most problematic portion of the Saints, fix this area & we're hitting on all cylinders.

Returners = D
KO returns: Roby, 22.8 yd/ret , 23rd in NFL
Punt Returns: Bush, 4.7 yd/ret, 25th in NFL

Punting = C+
Morestead is 19th in punting average, but has only allowed 7 of his 15 to be returned and has not had a TB yet. Return yardage is 8.4 yds/ret.

Kicking B-
Carney is 6-7 in FG, 18-18 in XP, but has no range.

Kickoffs B-
Morestead has 9 TB's out of 29, but the 19 returns avg 26.0 yds

I just wonder if it's a case of the kicker out-kicking the coverage or what? At any rate, I'm confidant that Payton & Co. will address this.

Your grade on punting is WAAAAAY off. Morestead deserves a B+ at worst.

I agree on the punting grade too.

And I think Morstead still deserves some huge props as a kicker overall.

But our kickoff and punt coverage left much to be desired.

D+ on kickoff coverage (take away the two big returns and they didn't look so bad)

C on punt coverage

I expect there will be some major arse-chewing this coming week for the coverage teams.

I just wonder if it's a case of the kicker out-kicking the coverage or what? At any rate, I'm confidant that Payton & Co. will address this.

No, his punts have great hangtime. It's the coverage getting blocked/falling down/whiffing.

We have been without Dunbar on specials teams, I wonder how big of an impact he has?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom