Special Teams Needs Work (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Great win today for every unit except ST. Now we know why JT Gray is needed. After he left the game, ST became garbage. Will Lutz was very unlike Will Lutz, letting a huge run back go all the way, onside kicks being missed. Then the final mins of the game looking bad and getting Apple hurt, that was on them. What the heck? Payton needs to chew out the new coach for all this today. Thought he was doing a good job but today was just atrocious. Again, it could be b/c Gray got hurt but can’t just rely on one guy. Especially if Gray can’t go for awhile. They need to do better for sure.

Coach got someone to chew into all week.

That new special team coach is a disaster. I was worried when they hired him. Last two season our special team was doing pretty good except for finding a true punt returner. But gees man, there seems to be a hole somewhere in coverage. I hated this hire then and I hate this hire now. 2 onside kicks recovered, and a run back for a touchdown. That is all in one game.

Great win today for every unit except ST. Now we know why JT Gray is needed. After he left the game, ST became garbage. Will Lutz was very unlike Will Lutz, letting a huge run back go all the way, onside kicks being missed. Then the final mins of the game looking bad and getting Apple hurt, that was on them. What the heck? Payton needs to chew out the new coach for all this today. Thought he was doing a good job but today was just atrocious. Again, it could be b/c Gray got hurt but can’t just rely on one guy. Especially if Gray can’t go for awhile. They need to do better for sure.

I dont agree

They have been the best ST unit all year

Yes they made some mistakes, but they also made plays as well.

2 punt blocks
Great return yardage
One td return called back on a bogus call.

Players can have bad games, and that's all it was for Lutz was a bad game.

He had 40 good ones, I'll take a bad one every once in a while

Special Team ok. They just dont know how to get an inside kick. They need some work.

That new special team coach is a disaster. I was worried when they hired him. Last two season our special team was doing pretty good except for finding a true punt returner. But gees man, there seems to be a hole somewhere in coverage. I hated this hire then and I hate this hire now. 2 onside kicks recovered, and a run back for a touchdown. That is all in one game.

They weren’t doing bad, it’s just this game was very glaring. Sure they did a couple of almost good things. The first block was great and kicked off the team dominating but after Gray left the ST unit looked bad. Need to work out the kinks.

Two things may happen. They may bring back that old coach we had for two years prior to this coach for an advisory role and if injuries are severe to Gray and PRob, we may see Banjo back. That could help us here.

Last edited:
Special teams will be fine.
Film review for them this week won't be.
It will be firmly addressed I'm sure.

I don’t know what game you were watching, but we had two blocked punts & IMO should of had a punt return for a TD. Our special teams coach, who someone says is terrible, must of saw something on film to see they were susceptible to the punt block.

We lost our best special teams player and they got a big return due to that IMO. We got two of the best kickers/punters in the game. Will Lutz usually kicks it out the back of the endzone so they can’t return it, but had trouble outside today. Morestead is a beast pinning them deep. We got a beast return man that can take it to the house at any time.

We will fix the onside issue by focusing on it this week since we probably haven’t focused on it since the 2009 Super Bowl ??

We aight!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom