(Speculation)Houston Texans Could Trade D. Watson (1 Viewer)

This is something I've been thinking about ever since they traded Hopkins because they might just be dumb enough to do it or they might further bungle the situation with other questionable decisions that prevents him from even wanting to re-sign there. We might not even have to give up any player if we play our cards right. Here's my line of thinking...
  • Watson is under contract through the 2021 season with his 5th year option
  • Brees is under contract through the 2021 season as well
  • If the Texans' situation doesn't improve drastically by then, he may refuse to sign a long term deal
  • If no teams are giving up anything enticing enough to trade him during or before his 5th year in 2021, he'll likely be franchise tagged at the conclusion of the season and entering the 2022 offseason; now at that point we could go one of two ways:
    • Either we could sign him to an offer sheet and pony up the two 1st rounders for him (which would definitely be worth it as a proven franchise QB that's only 27 going into the 2022 season and additionally hoping they are late 1st rounders anyway)
    • Or we could risk waiting it out, roll a year with Taysom (provided he's signed through then), and try to woo Watson as an UFA in 2023 where we don't have to give up anything to give him, hoping that the allure of playing in a Sean Payton offense will be the most desirable destination to cement his legacy by taking possession of the torch passed from Brees who he greatly admires
Going from Brees to Watson would keep us in that upper echelon we've fought our way into over the last decade and a half since Payton and Brees took over the reigns.

Depends on what that "more" is. As long as it didn't include Thomas or Ramczyk, I'd likely do it.

Exactly what I was going to say, he's not only the head coach but at the end of January they made him the general manager. :hihi:

We could only do that if the Texans tag on Watson was non-exclusive. Which would be very stupid of them when they could use the exclusive tag.

We could only do that if the Texans tag on Watson was non-exclusive. Which would be very stupid of them when they could use the exclusive tag.
It would be very stupid of them to place the exclusive tag on him if he’s made it clear he will not sign a long term deal there under any circumstances.

If they place the exclusive tag on him, it can really only go two ways:

a.) he can sit out the 2022 season and dare them to tag him again​
b.) he could sign the tag, play out the 2022 season and dare them to tag him again​
Both of those scenarios result in the face of your franchise even more disgruntled than before and trying to tag him multiple times will only worsen the situation.

So why not take the two 1st rounders for him instead of repeatedly trying to tag him (that second franchise tag is where it really starts getting cost prohibitive, as we saw with Brees when we tagged him)?

It would be very stupid of them to place the exclusive tag on him if he’s made it clear he will not sign a long term deal there under any circumstances.

If they place the exclusive tag on him, it can really only go two ways:

a.) he can sit out the 2022 season and dare them to tag him again​
b.) he could sign the tag, play out the 2022 season and dare them to tag him again​
Both of those scenarios result in the face of your franchise even more disgruntled than before and trying to tag him multiple times will only worsen the situation.

So why not take the two 1st rounders for him instead of repeatedly trying to tag him (that second franchise tag is where it really starts getting cost prohibitive, as we saw with Brees when we tagged him)?

Because they may be able to get more than that, and/or players in lieu of picks. If they N/E tag him, another team can sign him to an offer sheet and the compensation is set to two first round picks. Only thing the Texans could do is match the contract, and they maybe force a trade for higher/alternative value. And they could end up being low first rounders if the team is good. With an exclusive tag, they can work out a trade with any team withoug having worry about someone coming in with an offer sheet.

Most QBs are N/E tagged, such as Brees, Cousins, and Prescott.

Of course, the Texans could be stupid and let him go for nothing, like the Redskins did with Cousins. But I don't think theyr'e that stupid - they did build a playoff team after all.

Because they may be able to get more than that, and/or players in lieu of picks. If they N/E tag him, another team can sign him to an offer sheet and the compensation is set to two first round picks. Only thing the Texans could do is match the contract, and they maybe force a trade for higher/alternative value. And they could end up being low first rounders if the team is good. With an exclusive tag, they can work out a trade with any team withoug having worry about someone coming in with an offer sheet.

Most QBs are N/E tagged, such as Brees, Cousins, and Prescott.

Of course, the Texans could be stupid and let him go for nothing, like the Redskins did with Cousins. But I don't think theyr'e that stupid - they did build a playoff team after all.
I don’t think Houston really has any leverage in deciding where he goes, they can put whatever tag on him they want and work out the parameters of a trade with any team, but Watson still has to sign the tag in order to be traded.

If they want more than the allotted two first rounders (even if they were late 1sts), Watson could cabosh the whole thing and refuse to sign the tag, especially if it’s to some trash team.

And they did build a playoff team, however they’re doing an equally impressive job (if not more impressive) of blowing it up in only one off season, so I wouldn’t put anything past that circus.

If the Texans want to lose Watson for nearly nothing, then they’ll put that exclusive tag on him (like the Redskins did on Cousins), because that will ensure he won’t re-sign there after the 2022 season.

Honestly, the longer they wait to trade him, the less compensation they’ll probably receive. They could move him now (while he’s still on his rookie deal) and net more in return than trying to trade him when he’s looking for QB market resetting money because teams interested aren’t going to give up a ransom AND pay him.

Last edited:
You can of course believe whatever you choose.

But Watson isn't currently available for trade.

Nor is there a scenario in which Houston wouldn't be able to leverage either kind of franchise tag to get what they wanted, either to keep his rights or let him go at a price they choose to agree to.

A prior example of a quarterback refusing to sign their tag and then being traded for a lower amount is lacking as far as I can recall.

Also, Washington weren't in a position where Cousins refused to re-sign. The team chose not to sign him to a 'franchise QB' multi year contract and instead retained him for a couple of tagged seasons, before moving on. The team made that choice, not the player, because they didn't believe in him long term. Pretty much the opposite view of what Houston no doubt thinks of Watson.

Last edited:
no way I would not be interested in Watson.... great person and all but football wise I dont see the reward for what it would take to trade for him.... To me he is in the Dak category he needs a team around him to make an offense like a Hopkins, thinks its better to have a QB that makes others better not the other way around
This has to be the most ignorant post I have seen on the internet in quite some time.

Absolutely. 2 #1s and a #3 would be a bargain. He's a prime time stud and everything SP is looking for in his next QB. Watson would be by far the 2nd best option behind the impossible dream, Joe Burrow
I'd take Watson over Burrow any day of the week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom