Speculation: Richard offered Saint’s DC position (1 Viewer)

The defense also couldn't stop the run late against Carolina and allowed a team whose QB with a rating of 7 to somehow win.

Yeah I get it's on the offense also. But when a team can't stop the easiest and most predictable play in football, the run when you know it's coming. That is alarming. Same against Atlanta, the Saints allowed that game to be very close and thier QB Ritter was bad.
Exactly.

Can't argue with this. Also, how many times have we given up 3rd down penalties on D to help out the opposition and continue the drives that ultimately end with a score.......i.e., the Minnesota game. That's an undisciplined Defense, in my opinion.
In DA's defense on this, 85-90% of the 3rd down penalties that extend drives are phantom calls that you can't do anything about. If you get called for Roughing the passer when you didn't even go near the passer, how can you NOT get a roughing the passer penalty?

The defense also couldn't stop the run late against Carolina and allowed a team whose QB with a rating of 7 to somehow win.

Yeah I get it's on the offense also. But when a team can't stop the easiest and most predictable play in football, the run when you know it's coming. That is alarming. Same against Atlanta, the Saints allowed that game to be very close and thier QB Ritter was bad.
All defenses get worn down if you don't score all game.

If people think there's some extra-special level our D can get to where we can start winning consistently while averaging 15 points a game, they are kidding themselves. Even an average offense would help.

If people think there's some extra-special level our D can get to where we can start winning consistently while averaging 15 points a game, they are kidding themselves. Even an average offense would help.
This is 100% on point. Ask the SF 49ers' vaunted defense how they gave up 31 points when their offense couldn't get out of their own way.

In DA's defense on this, 85-90% of the 3rd down penalties that extend drives are phantom calls that you can't do anything about. If you get called for Roughing the passer when you didn't even go near the passer, how can you NOT get a roughing the passer penalty?
We had a boat load of holding and pass interference penalties on 3rd down.

We had a boat load of holding and pass interference penalties on 3rd down.
Meh... the balance between offense and defense was so inconsistent, it's hard to say how the defense would have really performed if there weren't so many 3 and outs.

Our defense isn’t good because of Allen. It’s player driven only. Take away Latt and we saw what our defense really was. Y’all giving DA too much credit like we didn’t invest into defense for the last few years. And we hit on the draft!

Agreed, DA is a decent DC when he has talent (and the Saints have had probowlers at multiple positions on D pretty consistently since he has been here), I don't think he is great or even that good....

Yup, balance is important....the not scoring and then doubling down by not make any changes is what has me angry with the Saints organization....

Because it isn't awesome. Can someone who thinks that it is awesome tell us why we're so good schemewise on Defense.

Is it our blitz packages?
Do we disguise our zone coverages?
Do we do a lot of stunts, use presnap "misalignments" to confuse the O?

What do we do that's so great that shows Allen is a capable D coordinator?
I will be your huckleberry. He managed to generate sacks at the LBer, and safety position. To make up for the lack of sack production from 1st round misses Davenport and Turner.

If our defensive scheme is so awesome why do we fold at the end of fourth quarters? Why can't we hold a small lead? We give the other team the ball with 90 seconds left and it's long successful pass, long successful pass, easy TD. Game over.
I'd argue that it's not the scheme that's the issue, it's the defensive play calling.

My point is that Allen's defense is good because the players are really good especially at Corner and LB. As long as we have Lattimore, Adebo, Taylor with Werner and DD we'll be fine and that's just because they're going to be better than their man.

Watching the Saints D play was like playing Madden and the only play they the D used was a 4-2-5 2 Man Under every single play.
Dennis Allen is not good and his scheme is not good because the players he had draft input and coached for 6 years whom had success in his scheme is good. OOOOOKKKKKKK. This aint it I agree with some DA takes but this aint it

And your last line is completely false. Yes we play alot of nickel but some of it was scheme we also had alot of injuries at DB last year. you cant play aggressive when every player you named except DD that is amazingly great was injured at some point of the season

Plenty of defenses that use lots of movement and blitzes that are terrible.

Allen's defenses are good.

The truth is, and this is something I pointed out in another thread, if you have an offense that can't score a TD in the 4th quarter, you will lose games late. Every defense, no matter how good, is going to give up 4th quarter points at times. When we do, it's an automatic loss because we can't score.
“At times” is better then all the time.

I will be your huckleberry. He managed to generate sacks at the LBer, and safety position. To make up for the lack of sack production from 1st round misses Davenport and Turner.
Yeah...but imagine how much higher our sack totals would've been if we weren't 26th in blitz percentage. We were too conservative...which is a recurring theme with our Allen led team if you haven't caught on.

Blitzing frees up our DEs by creating confusion on the edge...we barely did that forcing us to rely almost solely on our EDGE guys winning their 1 v 1s. Cam did, but that other guy 😞

Yeah...but imagine how much higher our sack totals would've been if we weren't 26th in blitz percentage. We were too conservative...which is a recurring theme with our Allen led team if you haven't caught on.

Blitzing frees up our DEs by creating confusion on the edge...we barely did that forcing us to rely almost solely on our EDGE guys winning their 1 v 1s. Cam did, but that other guy 😞
Blitzing also results in more explosive plays for the offense. I loved Gregg Williams coaching style more than most, but it is hard to argue with Dennis Allen's results as a leader of this defense. The numbers speak for themselves.

The only real disappointment I had on the defense this season was tackling in the first several weeks. Once that tapered off, the defense played great.

Blitzing also results in more explosive plays for the offense. I loved Gregg Williams coaching style more than most, but it is hard to argue with Dennis Allen's results as a leader of this defense. The numbers speak for themselves.

The only real disappointment I had on the defense this season was tackling in the first several weeks. Once that tapered off, the defense played great.
There's a middle ground between being 26th and whatever GW was. I just think DA gets too much credit for the D...he's excessively conservative IMO. It isn't just blitzing where he's conservative, when was the last time we had a safety underneath with the right coverage at the right time to jump in front a ball and pick it off? Not once this past season I can say that with almosr absolute certainty.

It just feels like we're playing vanilla preseason schemes all season long...if I'm wrong - I'm wrong.

If I were a KC fan I'd say it's more the players than Bienemy if he was considered for HC

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom