Speculation:Saints could Move MJ back to CB (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The New Orleans have considered moving FS Jenkins back to cornerback after selecting S Kenny Vaccaro in the NFL Draft.

<IFRAME style="DISPLAY: none" id=exjun-frame title=empty height=0 src="about<b></b>:blank" width=0></IFRAME>

<STYLE></STYLE><STYLE></STYLE><STYLE id=pxzstyle type=text/css>#pxzcont{position:absolute;top:0px;left:0px;width:0px;height:0px;overflow:visible}#pxzcont *{font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-weight:normal;background:transparent}#pxzcont * b{font-weight:bold}#pxzcont * i{font-style:italic}#pxzcont * u{font-decoration:underline}#pxzcont div,#pxzcont span,#pxzcont img,#pxzcont td,#pxzcont p{border:0px none;margin:0px;padding:0px;line-height:normal;text-align:left;font-size:1em}#pxzcont input,#pxzcont textarea{box-sizing:content-box;-moz-box-sizing:content-box;-webkit-box-sizing:content-box;-o-box-sizing:content-box}#pxzcont div,#pxzcont img{display:block;box-sizing:content-box;-moz-box-sizing:content-box;-webkit-box-sizing:content-box;-o-box-sizing:content-box;margin:0;padding:0}#pxzcont span{display:inline}#pxzcont div{text-align:left;position:relative;overflow:visible;z-index:1}#pxzcont a,#pxzcont a:link,#pxzcont a:hover,#pxzcont a:visited,#pxzcont a:active{font-weight:normal;background:none;font-size:12px;line-height:normal}#pxzcont .pxz-clear{clear:both}#pxzcont .pxz-noselect{-webkit-user-select:none;-khtml-user-select:none;-moz-user-select:none;-o-user-select:none;user-select:none}</STYLE>

Saints | Malcolm Jenkins could change to CB Saints | Malcolm Jenkins could change to CB

Considering we tried to Sign Nnamdi getting Bigger@ corner was still a priority. Insert Vacarro @ Safety and the fact that we didn't draft a Corner means that this could now become a possibilty. I for one wouldn't mind seeing MJ play boundary corner. He has basically the same measurables as Richard Sherman and unlike 3G's scheme (which preferred Smaller corners) RR's scheme leans towards bigger corners like Keenan Lewis.

What this means for Harper im not sure but he can still be used as a Blitzer and package player but as I've mentioned plenty of times b4..Harpers contract is a bit expensive for a package player.

IAQ is the best centerfielder we have IMHO.

Thoughts on the move and would it be logical. Considering the scheme we want to run we may have just upgraded our whole defense very quietly.

RDE-Hicks
NT-Bunkley/Jenkins
LDE- Jordan
ROLB-Galette/Johnson
WILB-Vilma/Hawthorne
SILB-Lofton
CB- Keenan Lewis
CB-Malcolm Jenkins
Nickel - Jabari Greer/Robinson
FS- IAQ
SS-Kenny Vacarro

IF Jenkins beats out bunkley then our Front 3 is as Beefy as they get and our run stopping should be rediculous. Vilma and Lofton should be kept clean for the most part and allowed to shoot gaps and make plays. If this happens and we win on early downs Galette/Butler/Tez/Johnson should have a field day getting to the QB.

I don't see how Jenkins beats out Greer as a starting CB. I would think Jenkins would be our Nickel in that scenario.

Its just my opinion, but I see our starting safeties as Vacarro and Jenkins. I think Vacarro's versatility benefits Jenkins at the safety position.

<IFRAME style="DISPLAY: none" id=exjun-frame title=empty height=0 src="about<b></b>:blank" width=0></IFRAME>

<STYLE></STYLE><STYLE></STYLE><STYLE id=pxzstyle type=text/css>#pxzcont{position:absolute;top:0px;left:0px;width:0px;height:0px;overflow:visible}#pxzcont *{font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-weight:normal;background:transparent}#pxzcont * b{font-weight:bold}#pxzcont * i{font-style:italic}#pxzcont * u{font-decoration:underline}#pxzcont div,#pxzcont span,#pxzcont img,#pxzcont td,#pxzcont p{border:0px none;margin:0px;padding:0px;line-height:normal;text-align:left;font-size:1em}#pxzcont input,#pxzcont textarea{box-sizing:content-box;-moz-box-sizing:content-box;-webkit-box-sizing:content-box;-o-box-sizing:content-box}#pxzcont div,#pxzcont img{display:block;box-sizing:content-box;-moz-box-sizing:content-box;-webkit-box-sizing:content-box;-o-box-sizing:content-box;margin:0;padding:0}#pxzcont span{display:inline}#pxzcont div{text-align:left;position:relative;overflow:visible;z-index:1}#pxzcont a,#pxzcont a:link,#pxzcont a:hover,#pxzcont a:visited,#pxzcont a:active{font-weight:normal;background:none;font-size:12px;line-height:normal}#pxzcont .pxz-clear{clear:both}#pxzcont .pxz-noselect{-webkit-user-select:none;-khtml-user-select:none;-moz-user-select:none;-o-user-select:none;user-select:none}</STYLE>

Saints | Malcolm Jenkins could change to CB Saints | Malcolm Jenkins could change to CB

Considering we tried to Sign Nnamdi getting Bigger@ corner was still a priority. Insert Vacarro @ Safety and the fact that we didn't draft a Corner means that this could now become a possibilty. I for one wouldn't mind seeing MJ play boundary corner. He has basically the same measurables as Richard Sherman and unlike 3G's scheme (which preferred Smaller corners) RR's scheme leans towards bigger corners like Keenan Lewis.

What this means for Harper im not sure but he can still be used as a Blitzer and package player but as I've mentioned plenty of times b4..Harpers contract is a bit expensive for a package player.

IAQ is the best centerfielder we have IMHO.

Thoughts on the move and would it be logical. Considering the scheme we want to run we may have just upgraded our whole defense very quietly.

RDE-Hicks
NT-Bunkley/Jenkins
LDE- Jordan
ROLB-Galette/Johnson
WILB-Vilma/Hawthorne
SILB-Lofton
CB- Keenan Lewis
CB-Malcolm Jenkins
Nickel - Jabari Greer/Robinson
FS- IAQ
SS-Kenny Vacarro

IF Jenkins beats out bunkley then our Front 3 is as Beefy as they get and our run stopping should be rediculous. Vilma and Lofton should be kept clean for the most part and allowed to shoot gaps and make plays. If this happens and we win on early downs Galette/Butler/Tez/Johnson should have a field day getting to the QB.

If eWallstreeter says so, it must be true. Plus, I think Jenkins has the sublimated* hips to move back to corner.

*Credit to buzd504 for use of this word.

I thought Jenkins looked good at CB when he filled in for a couple of games during the 2010 season. I think he would make a better CB than Robinson. It will be interesting to see what direction they decide to go in.

We are in trouble if Greer can't beat out Jenkins for the other starting CB.

I don't see how Jenkins beats out Greer as a starting CB. I would think Jenkins would be our Nickel in that scenario.

Its just my opinion, but I see our starting safeties as Vacarro and Jenkins. I think Vacarro's versatility benefits Jenkins at the safety position.

I can go with the above as well.

I'm just considering the fact that we still had a need to get bigger@ corner and that was proven by our interest in Nnamdi. We didn't get him and we also didn't get bigger@ corner in the draft. I don't see how you can put Greer/Robinson back on the outside when they haven't been good @ jump balls. Even though Greer is still a good corner he doesn't fit the protype for this scheme...but have no fear you need at least 4-5 good corners to survive in this league so even though he may not start on the outside...knowing he can shutdown a smaller player in the nickel offers some comfort.

With that being said I'm just thinking outside the box. We have a lot of safeties going into camp right now and there aren't enough positions for them all. Vacarro provides us with some nice flexibility. Yet having Jim Leonard tells me we need someone to teach the scheme. Could he be teaching it to 2 new starters in IAQ and Vacarro?

Another thingi mentioned is you can't have the 82nd and 83rd ranked safeties and not make a change there. I've always leaned on the fact that Harper/Jenkins could maybe produce with an improved passrush but Harper doesn't fit this scheme that much and Jenkins has shown better Coverage ability/versatility than ballhawking ability from the FS position.

IAQ ended up with more INT's in half a season than Jenkins has in his career and Vacarro ends up being the Safety that Roman Harper would never be.
Jenkins goes back to being a corner (which he is still fond of) and we end up getting bigger@ Corner. We basically remade our secondary thru FA and the Draft.

All things aside Training camp should be VERY VERY VERY interesting this year.

Remember, it's not a given that Greer would start since we have Lewis now. Greer's size and speed would probably make him the nickel back.

Give me this instead:

RDE: Hicks
NT: Jenkins
LDE: Jordan
SOLB: Galette
SILB: Lofton
WILB: Hawthorne
WOLB: Butler
LCB: Lewis
RCB: Greer
SS: Vaccaro
FS: Abdul-Quddus

I don't see Jenkins being better at corner than Greer or Robinson. I don't see IAQ as a better safety option than Jenkins. And to be honest would Jenkins be better at press-man than Robinson who excels at it, despite whatever happened last year in zone heavy.

That'd be nice if we did. We know he can't play safety but he could still prove himself worthy as a CB. He's a great teammate and truly loves the organization.

Through our moves this offseason and what we already have on the roster we are capable of fielding a good safety duo with having Jenkins or Harper back there.

Give me this instead:

RDE: Hicks
NT: Jenkins
LDE: Jordan
SOLB: Galette
SILB: Lofton
WILB: Hawthorne
WOLB: Butler
LCB: Lewis
RCB: Greer
SS: Vaccaro
FS: Abdul-Quddus

I think Butler has already been mentioned as a SOLB over the TE by RR and Galette will most likely be the ROLB.

Lewis played RCB with the steelers and hes getting payed Jabari Greer type money. I think he takes over that position and becomes our lockdown guy on that side.

Greer is already overmatched on the outside..u move him to LCB and hes going to be facing the bigger receivers. Not that he couldn't do it but id rather have a bigger guy that can tackle on the outside. So thats why I have him holding down the Nickel spot and Jenkins getting the LCB spot...if hes moved. I still like Vilma over Hawthorne. With the exception of his tape when he played with the seahawks Hawthorne if u look@ last year did nothing to show he should start over Vilma(who finished the season on a high note)

Either way though...........im excited about this draft class.

No matter which way you look at it, I'd say our defense is pretty friggin loaded with talent right now. Competition at every position. I am happy.

All I can say is put on the tape. At corner MJ look like Fred Thomas part 2. Mann yall need to wake up and go head and watch his clips on youtube. his first season was horrible at cornerback. That dude is better off, well you decide. I was stoked when they didn't pick Vontae Davis. hell they might as well put Drew Brees at CB he'll be better

All I can say is put on the tape. At corner MJ look like Fred Thomas part 2. Mann yall need to wake up and go head and watch his clips on youtube. his first season was horrible at cornerback. That dude is better off, well you decide. I was stoked when they didn't pick Vontae Davis. hell they might as well put Drew Brees at CB he'll be better

Like coaches have said for years, YouTube clips don't lie.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom