Speculation: Saints May Chase Freeney... Esp. If They Lose Out On Nnamdi (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Instead of just saying "the Saints need new blood"...how about actually making a suggestion who the Saints should get. Good players that are just hitting their prime are usually expensive. The Saints were lucky to get a bargain in Lewis...but that was still at around $5 million per year. Are you all suggesting that the Saints avoid all veterans and instead replace their roster spot with UDFAs?

I don't want my team turning into a graveyard for peaked players coming in for their last shot at glory and taking away from our up and comers. I know we struck gold with Sharper in '09 but at some point people will have to realize that that kind of a signing isn't going to happen every year!

Tell the Patriots that. Good established Super Bowl contenders are the perfect teams for aging veterans who can play a role and not have to do everything or play every down.

Having said that, I am not sure Freeney fits a new 3-4. To me Harrison might be a better fit (or Phillips).

Just for those that don't know and quickly just ran to check his stats.

Dwight Freeney sprained his ankle in the first quarter of the opening game last season. He missed all of that game and the rest of September. He still came back and gave them 5 sacks, including a sack in each of the last three games as the Colts were battling for the playoffs.

Does no one remember just how impossible he was for Bushrod to stop in the superbowl before the pain meds wore off? This is one of the league's premier pash rushers over the last decade, he's got over 100 career sacks.

I have major concerns about injuries with him. Though he's played in most of the games over the years, he's been nicked up a lot. But as a fair priced addition as a pash rusher, for a team completely devoid of a pass rush. A guy who has proven to be one of the league's best, and we're going to almost unaminously laugh it off. Mind blown.

This is a very small example from just last year. When was the last time you remember any Saint getting to a QB this fast?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NnPyKuELh-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Really? The guy had 5 sacks last season as a full time starter. He had less than Junior and only a couple more than Martez despite playing more than both combined. He is 33 years old and will cost a couple million a year to be less productive than both Junior and Martez for a high price. He had less production that Will Smith.

If you are only going to get a small amount of production why not put a young player out there that costs less who has potential get better instead of an old guy who peaked and has been on decline for 4 years now?
I agree. i always thought of Freeney as an undersized 4-3 defensive end, not a 3-4 rush linebacker. With that being said, this team does not need to overload itself with 32year old plus players, who can retire at any time. If the team starts to do this, we could end up in a hole when they quickly and suddenly have to be replaced. Freeney was great a player, but we would not be getting the same Freeney everyone remembers from years ago.

He is a 4-3 end who wants to play in a 4-3. Not really a fit.

This is a very small example from just last year. When was the last time you remember any Saint getting to a QB this fast?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NnPyKuELh-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Junior Gallette

Really? The guy had 5 sacks last season as a full time starter. He had less than Junior and only a couple more than Martez despite playing more than both combined. He is 33 years old and will cost a couple million a year to be less productive than both Junior and Martez for a high price. He had less production that Will Smith.

If you are only going to get a small amount of production why not put a young player out there that costs less who has potential get better instead of an old guy who peaked and has been on decline for 4 years now?

We are almost certainly fishing to add veteran depth and not just go with a bunch of young guys no matter how much sense it makes in a forum post.

Galette can not play every snap. Martez, assuming he even plays the other OLB, can not play every snap. It may not be Freeney, but I'd be surprised if we don't add someone with some serious experience between now and opening day.

We are almost certainly fishing to add veteran depth and not just go with a bunch of young guys no matter how much sense it makes in a forum post.

Galette can not play every snap. Martez, assuming he even plays the other OLB, can not play every snap. It may not be Freeney, but I'd be surprised if we don't add someone with some serious experience between now and opening day.

I like Abraham. I have no idea if he can stand up and play as effectively, but I have always liked him as a player. If we are going to go older vet with minimal 3-4 experience, he would be my first pick.

Defensive back Nnamdi Asomugha has visited both the San Francisco 49ers and New Orleans Saints. Both offer him a chance to win this season, but New Orleans offers the possibility of reuniting with his old defensive coordinator, Rob Ryan.
Ryan coached Asomugha when he was with the Oakland Raiders. Asomugha enjoyed his best seasons in Oakland and coach Ryan could help rejuvenate his career after two dismal season with the Eagles.
I'm sure we sign Asomugha......No Worries

Junior Gallette

I love Junior as much as anyone. But he is a 4.77 40 guy. Freeney of course ran a 4.48 at the combine. I have no idea what he runs today, but there is a big gap there. Junior has never had more than 5 sacks in a season. Freeney has had NINE seasons of over 5 sacks. I want Junior to get his chance this season. But you can't ignore what freeney is capable of.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom