Speculation: Saints May Chase Freeney... Esp. If They Lose Out On Nnamdi (Merged) (1 Viewer)

I remember listening to Freeny on NFL radio right before free agency- he had made it clear at the time he wanted to stay in Indy, and that if that didn't happen he'd rather be in a 4-3.

So there's that... I mean I guess we could sign him, doesn't seem like a good fit for either side though. Sounds more like a reporter throwing names to big teams to generate news...or an agent leaking bogus info to drive up price on his client.

I love Junior as much as anyone. But he is a 4.77 40 guy. Freeney of course ran a 4.48 at the combine. I have no idea what he runs today, but there is a big gap there. Junior has never had more than 5 sacks in a season. Freeney has had NINE seasons of over 5 sacks. I want Junior to get his chance this season. But you can't ignore what freeney is capable of.

Galette will never get his chance if we keep going for a quick fix vet that's lost a step. Or two

I remember listening to Freeny on NFL radio right before free agency- he had made it clear at the time he wanted to stay in Indy, and that if that didn't happen he'd rather be in a 4-3.

So there's that... I mean I guess we could sign him, doesn't seem like a good fit for either side though. Sounds more like a reporter throwing names to big teams to generate news...or an agent leaking bogus info to drive up price on his client.

A 3-4 and a 4-3 are not that cut and dry different.

Rob Ryan runs a lot of 4 man fronts, especially on passing downs.

A 3-4 and a 4-3 are not that cut and dry different.

Rob Ryan runs a lot of 4 man fronts, especially on passing downs.

It is not necessarily a 4 man front. It is more of the OLB coming up to the line (not traditional 4 man front).

Galette will never get his chance if we keep going for a quick fix vet that's lost a step. Or two
If the vet has truly lost a step and Junior is truly better than him, he will win the job in training camp. Competition is a good thing.

What is this "keep going for"? The Saints are notorious for NOT going for this quick fix vet like other teams. We build through the draft and spend money on guys in their 20's predominantly.

Bunkley was 28, Loften turned 26, Keenan Lewis is 26, Greer was about 27, Hawthorne turned 27, etc

We spent first round picks on Cam Jordan, Will Smith, Patrick Robinson, Malcolm Jenkins, second round pick on Roman Harper, third round pick on Akeem Hicks and Martez Wilson, and a 5th round pick on Corey White. And we traded for Vilma when he was 26.

One of the very few times we brought in a true veteran defender, it was Darren Sharper and he was nearly defensive player of the year and we won a superbowl.

Sometimes I feel like we follow different teams.

So the Steelers are interested as well. :scratch:

I guess some coaches think he has enough left in the tank to be an edge rusher in. 3-4? I guess I'd rather have him instead some of the other guys we've talked about like Harrison or Abraham.

Were not getting freeney. He would rather be in a 4-3 and he struggled when he played in a 3-4. I think this would be a bad signing

It is not necessarily a 4 man front. It is more of the OLB coming up to the line (not traditional 4 man front).

A passrusher with his hand in the dirt is a passrusher with his hand in the dirt. Freeney could play that role.

There's a reason all these 3-4 teams are kicking the tires on Freeney. Because they will have no problem sticking him in a 4 man front on passing downs.

More speculation here, but the either Nnamdi or Dwight premise could mean that the Saints FO is considering a potential trade scenario to pick up a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. If they sign Nnamdi, they could trade Robinson, whose deal is cap friendly to another team. Or, if they sign Freeney, they could trade Smith, whose reworked deal is also trade-worthy. Anyone agree?

If they did pull off something like that, they could snatch Tyrann Mathieu or an offensive lineman.

When you have less production that Will Smith, that means you have almost no production and we should pass. Spend the money on potential as opposed to past stats.

When you have less production that Will Smith, that means you have almost no production and we should pass. Spend the money on potential as opposed to past stats.

So we can look in the past for last year, where Freeney missed a month, played on a bad ankle, and had one less sack. But we can't look at ANYTHING before that including his other 100 sacks? Spend money on potential over production? That's a dangerous game.

So we can look in the past for last year, where Freeney missed a month, played on a bad ankle, and had one less sack. But we can't look at ANYTHING before that including his other 100 sacks? Spend money on potential over production? That's a dangerous game.

Doesnt he always have a bad ankle?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom