Speculation (Winston will probably leave) (1 Viewer)

I like Winston as a backup. I don’t think any team will take a chance on him as a starter. Best case would be for him to do what Dalton did, take a one year deal somewhere to back up a weak qb. If given a chance he could shine. I hope he stays and accepts the backup position, unless there is a young talent that needs time to grow.
Matt Ryan is only in Indy for 2 years or 1 year, can't remember, but Indy could easily give him a shot.

Dalton isn't better....he just got more opportunities to fail.

It's messed up but Dude is going to have to play in Canada to get a fair shake at it.
Winston was a starter for years. Teams are desperate for qbs if he was good enough to start teams would’ve been pursuing him the last couple of offseans. His role going forward is as a backup.

How is it that no one on the forum realizes that Winston CAN NOT read a defence! He can not Audible out of a play after coming to the line of scrimmage- these are basic’s for an NFL calibre starter. He is so much more athletically gifted than Dalton, we all know that, but his QB iq is simply NOT adequate. When we ask, why does Dalton play, because he makes the correct decision WAY more often than Winston.

No defending Allen, because he’s horrible, but there’s a lot more going on than we all see. Jameis has put himself in this position with not only his play but his presence in the locker room. You can’t act like a teenager and expect to lead men. Allen has done a lot of things wrong, I don’t believe this is one of them. Jameis is done as an NFL starter. He’s definitely done here and there’s little chance, bearing injury he takes significant snaps again.
Hate to bust your bubble, but Allen has done this before, by refusing to play Pyror after injury and recovery in Oakland, one of the reason his arse got fired. He started and UDFA play name McCloin or something. Winston has been here 3 years in two of those years he was injured by Tampa Bay. The guy really hasn't had a chance. And where to get the act like a teenager from, look don't equate what someone did has a young man with how he will react now. Stop it!!

I hope JW stays with Saints and we bring in a solid starter. Winston has been a good teammate.

I think it has to go the other way. Unless we figure out a way to get a franchise QB this offseason, his spot needs to be for someone who may have a future as our starter. A rookie or a different reclamation project. Or a backup from another team who has shown promise. I don't think we want to keep three QBs plus Taysom on the active roster.

Last edited:
I think it has to go the other way. Unless we figure out a way to get a franchise QB this offseason, his spot needs to be for someone who may have a future as our starter. A rookie or a different reclamation project. Or a backup from another team who has shown promise. I don't think we want to keep three QBs plus Taysom on the active roster.
Yeah and if Dennis Allen is back next year, Winston is not getting his shot. It sucks, but we are just wasting talent no matter which way you look at it. At this point, I'd rather see what we can get for Winston so he can get the playing time he deserves. I just don't see the Saints really giving him the opportunity especially with Taysom on the sidelines. You don't get rhythm as a QB getting pulled every 5 or 6 down to let Taysom get his touches.

It's just inevitable that Winston goes elsewhere when that time comes albeit by trade, cut, or he signs with another team.

Yeah and if Dennis Allen is back next year, Winston is not getting his shot. It sucks, but we are just wasting talent no matter which way you look at it. At this point, I'd rather see what we can get for Winston so he can get the playing time he deserves. I just don't see the Saints really giving him the opportunity especially with Taysom on the sidelines. You don't get rhythm as a QB getting pulled every 5 or 6 down to let Taysom get his touches.

It's just inevitable that Winston goes elsewhere when that time comes albeit by trade, cut, or he signs with another team.
No one would trade for Winston, he was available twice and had no suitors other than the Saints. I hope he gets a shot as a long term backup for some team. Kinda like Chase Daniels.

No one would trade for Winston, he was available twice and had no suitors other than the Saints. I hope he gets a shot as a long term backup for some team. Kinda like Chase Daniels.
Chase Daniels is probably one of THE BEST paid backup QBs.

I think Dan went over what JW is doing wrong this year in his AMA thread today. I'm not sure anyone is going to give JW a chance to be QB1 anymore.
The Saints easily have one of the worst QB situations in the NFL. I mean, who’s worse?

The Panthers are bad without much hope, the Texans are bad and Mills is unlikely to stick as a starter, the Falcons are bad but Riddler at least gives them hope, the Lions’ situation is pretty bad but I’m not sure they take Winston over Goff, perhaps the Jets? So there may be a few teams where Winston could compete for a starting spot, but most of them will likely have new rookie QBs next year. This is his best option and he’s sitting on the bench behind Dalton, who pretty much nobody is excited about having at starting QB.

Kind of feel for him, but Dennis Allen has no clue what he is doing. I'm sure this will probably burn the bridge with the Saints and Winston. As bad as we are playing, Winston should be at QB. Probably too late at this point, but it is what it is.

Seriously. Is it really that bad if Winston leaves as opposed to getting a big contract? If we turn him loose who will want him or Dalton for that matter?
Do you have an inside info or insights that prove this? Or are you just speculating to support your narrative….I see no evidence to support that JW is acting like a “teenager”, I see him on the sidelines cheerleading and supporting the team….if anything DA is acting like a sullen withdrawn rudderless coach that has alienated certain players and has no idea how to lead….

Little chance of him ever succeeding? Wow….the hate is strong here….
I agree with you about Winston being a solid teammate who is very encouraging but based upon past results there is, in fact, little chance of success. He has simply never shown himself to be anything but a journeyman.

Seriously. Is it really that bad if Winston leaves as opposed to getting a big contract? If we turn him loose who will want him or Dalton for that matter?

I agree with you about Winston being a solid teammate who is very encouraging but based upon past results there is, in fact, little chance of success. He has simply never shown himself to be anything but a journeyman.
Chase Daniels has signed BIG contracts after basically doing very little here. Teams WILL take a chance on him. Over half the league is at or below .500 for the season and it's week 12. That's a big factor as SEVERAL teams are hurting at QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom