Speed kills and they got a speedster in the 4.34 John Brown. He is having a great year so far. (1 Viewer)

“Sheriff John Brown always hated me,
For what, I don't know:
Every time I plant a seed,
He said kill it before it grow -
He said kill them before they grow.
And so.....”

Yeah, he and Willie Snead are my concern. Snead has been doing a good job and those third down catches are more hurtful than big long plays.

Despite this being a matchup against an AFC opponent, we all know the reasons why this game will be so important for the Saints to win. And I don't think anyone (especially the team) thinks this will be a cake-walk.

In the 12 seasons of the Sean Payton Era (including the 2012 suspension season) the Saints have compiled a 7-5 record in the first game played after their Bye week. In these, 8 were home games where the Saints posted a 6-2 record. However, in the 4 post-Bye games that were played on the road, the Saints only managed a 1-3 record.

Additionally one of the two home losses we had following our Bye was when we faced the Baltimore Ravens (in 2006). So there appears to be a lot of bad history stacked against us. However, I'm not one to believe that games and/or teams of the past are always indicative of what we should expect in the present or future. I think each game stands on it's own.

But that said, the Ravens are clearly one of the better AFC teams this year in much the same way as the Saints are also one of the NFC's best teams in 2018. The Ravens spent this past Sunday creaming the Titans in Nashville 21-0! No doubt that game did not go unnoticed by the Saints players and coaches. Thus getting everyone here 'back to business' shouldn't be too hard as they prepare for the trip to Baltimore.

The Saints certainly know all about the strengths the Ravens possess. So this is where great coaching needs to play a vital role in having our players well prepared to prevail over their top-ranked defense (More Info Here) and for us to slow down Mr Brown. If the Saints can do neither of these things after their week off (and being relatively healthy) it won't bode well for the other big games we have coming up in the next few weeks.

If we come out on top this Sunday, we definitely will have earned a HUGE victory!

And he wants a revenge game
Revenge? We didn't put him on the streets after his DWI, he just lost his spot while he was suspended. We kept him the whole year and used him as the #4/5 receiver he'd let others beat him out for. We paid his full salary and just decided to let him walk.

If we'd screwed him over and not helped him through his legal issues and welcomed him back to the team, then I could see "revenge" but not in this case.

Just be prepared for Flacco to go deep - they believe in 3-4 deep shots per game.
This sounds cliche, but this is a game where the Saints will really need to control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball in order to be successful. Hit Flacco often, disrupt the timing between him and the receivers, and make it difficult for them to run the ball.
Look, the Ravens are going to have some success scoring and will probably sack Drew a couple of times; they are also difficult to run on. The Saints just need to stay the course and don’t turn the ball over and be prepared to make in-game and half-time adjustments. I think we’ll be fine.

We've done well with turnovers lately but it bears repeating in boldface.

Can't sleep on Snead and Brown, the latter of which is a younger Ted Ginn Jr. If we see progression and not regression, we can win this one.

I have to say that I like John Brown. He's from my alma mater Pittsburg State University. They actually won the Division II national championship while I was sitting in my graduation ceremony, and he was on that squad. He's got some serious speed. He will definitely test Williams, but I have faith.
The Gorillas! A lot of my relatives (now passed) graduated from Pittsburg State University. Thanks for posting this info!

Marcus William better not underestimate Flacco's deep ball and simply play it safe with protecting the back end at all cost.

Speesters have killed us all season. Callaway, Evans, Jackson, Ridley... So, I feel the secondary has something to prove and that is shutting down the deep ball.

Simple - "hit him in the mouth."

Then do it again!

(That is, no free releases! Followed by love taps when he does touch the ball.)

FWIW Saints are one of the better teams at preventing big plays this year in spite of the first two games.

DpuGevFXgAATFpI.jpg large.jpeg

He's also got 19 catches on 44 targets, so they've wasted a few bullets trying to get him the ball.

Our pass rush is much improved since week 1, in no small part to Davenport being on the field more, having outplayed Okafor, who's been a little disappointing, which I ascribe to him coming off surgery rather than lack of effort or talent.

Marcus William better not underestimate Flacco's deep ball and simply play it safe with protecting the back end at all cost.

Speesters have killed us all season. Callaway, Evans, Jackson, Ridley... So, I feel the secondary has something to prove and that is shutting down the deep ball.
all we need is a good past rush,and that will take care of the of John Brown.

I'd putt Latt on him the whole game n stress being physical with him. Bracket Snead n Crabtree. Run D should still be solid even with Stallworth out. Their O doesn't scare me @ all. Their D will be worn down

Last edited:
Ravens are a really good team this year. They're 2nd in the league at 76 net points, just two behind the leader (Rams). For comparison:
  • LAR 78
  • BAL 76
  • KC 43
  • CHI 43
  • NO 40
  • NE 28
  • PHI 20
  • CAR 7
  • CLE -23
  • ATL -25
  • TB -32
  • OAK -66

Ravens are a really good team this year. They're 2nd in the league at 76 net points, just two behind the leader (Rams). For comparison:
  • LAR 78
  • BAL 76
  • KC 43
  • CHI 43
  • NO 40
  • NE 28
  • PHI 20
  • CAR 7
  • CLE -23
  • ATL -25
  • TB -32
  • OAK -66

Getting to play the Bills in week 1, with Nathan "worst QB in NFL history" Peterman behind center, helped that stat a lot. 44 points worth of help.

They aren't better than KC or NE.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom