Spiller inactive..... (1 Viewer)

Man last year everyone was dogging him now everyone acts like he's Sproles circa 2011. Must be nice to coach from the couch.

Rotoworld seems to think the Saints played him up this preseason to possibly get trade value

I have thought this as well.

Spiller just isn't a 3rd down back. He is a feature back. He breaks huge plays by being in the game and not allowing the D to key on him. One LB/S misses their run fit, and he's gone. Coming in for a play here or there doesn't allow that.

Ingram is the feature back here, and he is now developed enough to handle 3rd down duties. We also have his inexpensive, 1 or 2 drives/games, direct replacement in Hightower. We also have a 3rd down guy in Murphy and the *possible future feature back in Lasco. Murphy, Lasco, and Cadet all also offer ST skills as well (not that Spiller doesn't).

Basically, Spiller, while still a gamebreaker, just isn't the type of piece that Payton can use most effectively. Now that he has shown his old "pop" in the preseason, there is *perhaps more perceived value in using the other RB's and seeing what they can get for Spiller. To do that, he has to be healthy and they are going to make darn sure of that.

Maybe a trade for a draft pick, maybe an OG, who knows? Either way, they have an asset and they plan on using it to help make their plan a reality.

Or I could be way off and he mouthed off to a coach, lol!

Man last year everyone was dogging him now everyone acts like he's Sproles circa 2011. Must be nice to coach from the couch.
But he isn't injured now and looked really good in Preseason. Had high expectations. Whats up?

Spiller looked great this preseason. There is something to this move that is not public. I don't know what, but this is a garbage decision.

RB Murphy better have a punt return TD to justify this. And no turnovers.

I don't understand this move.
exactly why i wanted tommlylee to win the returns job. we have too many damn rb's on this team now, and the result is you got a back who makes as much $ as ingram inactive due to a numbers game with our crappy special teams unit. i could understand if murph was one of the most dangerous return men in the league, but that isn't the case at all.

of course if spiller was doing returns himself or was better in pass protection, this probably wouldn't be happening either, but it still sucks we have an offensive weapon in street clothes on Sundays.

What tweet?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sometimes we don&#39;t fully understand Gods plans for our life but what I do know is I must always trust his plans.</p>&mdash; Cj Spiller (@CJSPILLER) <a href="https://twitter.com/CJSPILLER/status/773696781334917120">September 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But then it looks like he cleared this up?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I was having a conversation with one my homies that was going through something. So that&#39;s what I told him <a href="https://t.co/2v20y9c8DK">https://t.co/2v20y9c8DK</a></p>&mdash; Cj Spiller (@CJSPILLER) <a href="https://twitter.com/CJSPILLER/status/773723397721174016">September 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Healthy inactive week 1 after hearing and seeing him look really good all preseason. SMH
These decisions are mind boggling.

I'm hanging by a thread. Staff better come out and prove how smart they are because this stuff, the kicker thing, the OL, 6 RBs...really a lot of questions and strange choices and priorities...

Makes it hard to feel good about prospects until shown something.

Please everybody, try to read too much into this.
The self fan self delusion on some of these decisions is something else.

At this point Payton could trade for Colin Kaepernick and most of the fan base would be rationalizing how reasonable a move it was because Payton did it.

Your team is pretty much healthy, there were going to be healthy scratches. Spiller is a backup that is not featured prominently on special teams. The situation will sort itself out.

That's it. Trade your best threat.

He is a threat, but not our best threat. Drew Brees is our greatest threat and we need to protect him. If there is a trade being worked out or any offensive lineman, then I am all for it.

Not about Spiller so much as the whole "I want to position myself comfortably so that when the season tanks and we fire Payton, I can be all like 'I knew this would happen, check my post history. I was subtly implying it all along.' But I don't have the testicular fortitude to come out and say I want Payton fired because then I'll get a lot of flak."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom