Spin-offs That Overshadowed Their Original Shows (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What are some spin-offs that were so successful they actually overshadowed their original shows.
Just to keep things clear, I’m excluding shows are were already planned as part of a cinematic universe.
For me, the ultimate is The Simpsons from The Tracy Ullman Show. I’ve only seen a few episodes of Ullman thanks to YouTube and honestly, I didn’t get the humor. The Simpsons Shorts were the obvious standout. Fun fact, Tracy Ullman ended up suing the show to get a share of the show. I think she ended up with a few bucks.
Beavis and Butthead from Liquid Television. Another show spun off from a anthology series.
Happy Days from Love American Style.
Family Matters from Perfect Strangers
Good Times from Maude. Fun fact, Maude was itself a spin-off from All In The Family.

Happy Days spun off from Love AS? Never knew that, very cool…

My earliest lineup TV memory was Friday nights with The Odd Couple, was it Room 222 (or something else) and Love AS…..yes I’m old…..

Tracy Ulman show was one of the best sketch comedy shows ever

I don’t think Saul is better than breaking bad, but just as good

The Clone Wars is vastly superior to the Prequels

At the time I would have said Mork and mindy was as good as happy days, but MnM did NOT age well

Lou Grant is an interesting apples to oranges comp

Fraiser from Cheer
Jeffersons from All in the Family
Star Trek TNG from original
Colbert Report from The Daily Show

AND

Daria from Bevis and Butthead

Colbert Report from The Daily Show

This is what makes me feel old. I sometimes forget that Colbert had an entire extremely successful long-running show between The Daily Show and his current thing. I miss those shows -- Colbert on late night network tv kinda sucks mostly -- his comedy aged along with the target audience.

This is what makes me feel old. I sometimes forget that Colbert had an entire extremely successful long-running show between The Daily Show and his current thing. I miss those shows -- Colbert on late night network tv kinda sucks mostly -- his comedy aged along with the target audience.
I started TDS with Craig kilborn

Happy Days spun off from Love AS? Never knew that, very cool…

My earliest lineup TV memory was Friday nights with The Odd Couple, was it Room 222 (or something else) and Love AS…..yes I’m old…..
I remember that too. Then there was Carol Burnett and Buddy Ebsen, mom shows

I started TDS with Craig kilborn
Oh, doesn't everyone know The Daily Show really started with Jon Stewart?

I actually had genuinely typed that "The Daily Show really started with 'John Daily'", and then managed to realize that's not right and then have to go look it up to make sure, yeah, it was Jon Stewart NOT John Daily. **** me. But then it was REALLY started by Craig Kilborne, but that's not as much of a "**ck me" as not remembering Jon Stewart's name.

What are some spin-offs that were so successful they actually overshadowed their original shows.
Just to keep things clear, I’m excluding shows are were already planned as part of a cinematic universe.
For me, the ultimate is The Simpsons from The Tracy Ullman Show. I’ve only seen a few episodes of Ullman thanks to YouTube and honestly, I didn’t get the humor. The Simpsons Shorts were the obvious standout. Fun fact, Tracy Ullman ended up suing the show to get a share of the show. I think she ended up with a few bucks.
Beavis and Butthead from Liquid Television. Another show spun off from a anthology series.
Happy Days from Love American Style.
Family Matters from Perfect Strangers
Good Times from Maude. Fun fact, Maude was itself a spin-off from All In The Family.
Happy Days also had Laverne and Shirley as a spin off.

Andy Griffith was a spin-off from the Danny Thomas Show

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom