Spleen removed? (2 Viewers)

cylinder

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I'm having my spleen removed Wednesday, anyone with out there's? My spleen is making anti bodies that are attacking my platelets and other cells. I have been on a high dose of steroids for a few weeks now and there not helping. All started after bone marrow transplant to fight off lymphoma.

Sorry to hear that dude. You don't need your spleen, but you will have to be more cognizant of infections. Should be an easy recovery. I still have my spleen, but recently had my gallbladder removed. I'm assuming you are have laparoscopy.

I remember Chris Simms (who played for Tampa Bay) took a hit and had to have his removed. I remember hearing when the spleen is removed, the liver picks up a lot of the slack to filter the blood also.

My mom had hers out 1.5 years ago. Similar issue white blood cell counts all over the place for years. They tried all kinds of things nothing helped. Spleen removed and bingo all fixed! Mom had ovarian cancer in early 90s they suspect the chemo jacked it up. She has been great ever since. She just turned 70.

Make sure you keep on top of your vaccinations afterwards, especially the flu vaccine since the bug that causes is is 'encapsulated' which the spleen is good at removing from the body...

Make sure you keep on top of your vaccinations afterwards, especially the flu vaccine since the bug that causes is is 'encapsulated' which the spleen is good at removing from the body...

Can't have flu shot because of past history with geonberaye sydrome. I don't think I spelled that correctly

I'm having my spleen removed Wednesday, anyone with out there's? My spleen is making anti bodies that are attacking my platelets and other cells. I have been on a high dose of steroids for a few weeks now and there not helping. All started after bone marrow transplant to fight off lymphoma.

Yes. I had mine removed several years ago, (2004) during GERD Surgery. I started bleeding and it wouldn't stop. Doctor removed my Spleen. He made sure that I got a Pneumonia shot and other preventative measures. I have had no problems since then.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom