Spoiler Spoiler Thread: Avengers Infinity War (3 Viewers)

33964521_412698059199546_626989964504072192_n.jpg

I've been running through several Marvel flicks and watching Guardians and will watch the Black Panther in a couple of days. Then rewatch Infinity War. Just thinking, what were all of the movies that featured one of the stones for the Gauntlet? I'd like to get as much back story as I can on each of the stones.

I've been running through several Marvel flicks and watching Guardians and will watch the Black Panther in a couple of days. Then rewatch Infinity War. Just thinking, what were all of the movies that featured one of the stones for the Gauntlet? I'd like to get as much back story as I can on each of the stones.

Movie
Iron Man 2 (drawing)
Thor (post-credits scene)
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (mid-credits scene)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (mentioned)
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War

Infinity Stones

They showed footage from Avengers 4 at a thing in Europe. No leaked footage but there have been some story leaks.

Apparently A4 follows Antman and Iron Man traveling through the Quantum realm to different realities to make an Infinity Gauntlet of their own. This would actually share some similarities with a Marvel comics story in which Tony Stark made his own Infinity Gauntlet.

They showed footage from Avengers 4 at a thing in Europe. No leaked footage but there have been some story leaks.

Apparently A4 follows Antman and Iron Man traveling through the Quantum realm to different realities to make an Infinity Gauntlet of their own. This would actually share some similarities with a Marvel comics story in which Tony Stark made his own Infinity Gauntlet.

Nuh uh. I mean, maybe true in the end. But it didn't come from the CineEurope presentation.

Here's What Really Went Down At Disney's AVENGERS 4 And CAPTAIN MARVEL CineEurope Presentation Yesterday

Nuh uh. I mean, maybe true in the end. But it didn't come from the CineEurope presentation.

Here's What Really Went Down At Disney's AVENGERS 4 And CAPTAIN MARVEL CineEurope Presentation Yesterday

In the past few weeks I've started to have this sinking feeling they're going to botch Captain Marvel's place in the MCU. All this talk about how she's the most powerful and will be the MCU torchbearer going forward just gives me real...I dunno, Poochie vibes. Just throwing this new character into the mix that suddenly will be the center of everything and is being pitched as the end all, be all and all she'll have between then and now is one movie, which will be an origin story...they're selling her so hard that it almost feels like they're preparing us for how big a Deus Ex Machina she's going to be. I hate the term Mary Sue and believe it's overused, but the way they're talking about her really does have these "Well, she's the best and better than everybody and the strongest and most powerful and she will save everyone and then be the focus of what we do after that," and...that's kinda textbook Mary Sue.

It probably doesn't help that in my two and a half decades of reading comics, I can't think of a single Carol Danvers story that did anything other than bore me to death.

Hopefully I'm wrong. I just find all the upselling on the character really weird and rather un-Feige like.

Last edited:
In the past few weeks I've started to have this sinking feeling they're going to botch Captain Marvel's place in the MCU. All this talk about how she's the most powerful and will be the MCU torchbearer going forward just gives me real...I dunno, Poochie vibes. Just throwing this new character into the mix that suddenly will be the center of everything and is being pitched as the end all, be all and all she'll have between then and now is one movie, which will be an origin story...they're selling her so hard that it almost feels like they're preparing us for how big a Deux Ex Machina she's going to be. I hate the term Mary Sue and believe it's overused, but the way they're talking about her really does have these "Well, she's the best and better than everybody and the strongest and most powerful and she will save everyone and then be the focus of what we do after that," and...that's kinda textbook Mary Sue.

It probably doesn't help that in my two and a half decades of reading comics, I can't think of a single Carol Danvers story that did anything other than bore me to death.

Hopefully I'm wrong. I just find all the upselling on the character really weird and rather un-Feige like.

He's earned enough trust with me to see where it goes. Honestly, they're doing kind of what the DCEU tried to do with Superman, or what Watchmen did. Introducing a fantastically powerful being in a world that had been, for the most part, grounded. And that's taking a lot of leeway saying that in a world that has Hulk and Thor. But for the most part, Thor has been pretty pedestrian as far as power levels go (at least until Infinity War) and the Hulk just punches stuff real hard. They've never seen anything with the power set of Captain Marvel, so they probably would be a bit in awe. Vision would have come the closest, and they just lost him. The intrigue comes, for me, in where she's been since the 90's in the universe. Why Fury didn't think she'd be useful when the Chitauri invaded New York is going to need to be explained. A lot is going to ride on her intro movie. If her power levels are what they should be, she's definitely going to be a big part of Avengers 4, but I think that movie is still going to give the requisite moments to the core cast from the last decade, probably requiring a lot of sacrifice on their parts as characters. She's not going to show up and single-handedly solve their problems and defeat Thanos, and that keeps her out of Mary Sue territory in my opinion.

All that said, she's not a well-known character to the general audience, so yeah, Feige is selling her pretty hard because she's the next movie after Ant Man and most of the general audience have no clue who she is. And as far as her being the focus of the MCU post-Avengers 4, that doesn't bother me. While a lot of it has been Iron Man's story, it's a tossup between he and Cap as to who was at the heart of these first 10 years, and I don't feel like too much focus was put on any particular character. She may be one of the driving forces over the next decade, but I don't fear her being shoehorned into importance in a world that will (likely) have Cumberbatch as Strange, Spider-Man, Guardians, and the cultural phenomenon of Black Panther. All those franchises will carry weight, and that doesn't even factor in what may happen with the "big three" and their stories, PLUS possible additions of the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and their rogues depending on the outcome of the Fox/Disney/Comcast ménage à trois of pain. Her importance could be felt in inspiring Kamala Khan to become Ms. Marvel; that's someone else the Feige has mentioned. Being the force behind another hero makes her important, but not overshadowing the other pillars of whatever they're going to build in the next phase.

I'll tell you what does scare me, though. There are rumors that Kathleen Kennedy may be leaving Lucasfilm in September after the disappointing returns on Solo. The MCU is his baby, but Kevin Feige is a self-professed huge Star Wars fan. It wouldn't shock me if they offered him the keys to the Star Wars universe and have Louis D'Esposito or someone who's been high in the MCU production ranks for a while take over, especially since whatever Avengers 4 ends up being is supposed to bring an ending to the overall story they've been telling since Iron Man.

I'll tell you what does scare me, though. There are rumors that Kathleen Kennedy may be leaving Lucasfilm in September after the disappointing returns on Solo. The MCU is his baby, but Kevin Feige is a self-professed huge Star Wars fan. It wouldn't shock me if they offered him the keys to the Star Wars universe and have Louis D'Esposito or someone who's been high in the MCU production ranks for a while take over, especially since whatever Avengers 4 ends up being is supposed to bring an ending to the overall story they've been telling since Iron Man.

I very distinctly remember rumors during the time Feige's contract was coming up with Marvel/Disney and he was constantly butting heads with Perlmutter and people were talking about how he might leave entirely, that one of the reasons people thought he would feel compelled to stay in the Disney stable and sign a new Marvel contract was that he had made no secret of the fact that he wanted Star Wars after Kennedy stepped down.

Of course, that was before the Marvel restructuring that Iger did and now that Perlmutter is out of the studio picture and Feige has relative free reign, who knows whether or not that's still the case.

I honestly haven’t heard that much about Ms marvel, but admittedly I’m not as plugged into the marvelverse as I used to be

That said, I wonder if marvel had done dark Phoenix would that have softened the Ms marvel intro

Fyi, I rewatched Age of Ultron and forgot how much the Infinity Stones were featured in the movie, and the glimpse of Thanos getting a hold of the Gauntlet at the end was great. I completely forgot that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom