Sponsors, Politicians Bail From Women's March Over Anti-Semitism (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
I guess it's time to ditch the pink hats? :idee-puis-non:

When the organizers of the Women's March on Washington attended Nation of Islam meetings and praised Louis Farrakhan on social media , the Democratic National Committee and Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla) pulled the plug on participation and sponsorship this week and others are following suit.

Wasserman Schultz, who is Jewish, told USA Today:

Farrakhan has a long history of anti-Semitism. He has said that Hitler was a great man, compared Jews to termites, and tweeted about “the Satanic Jew and the Synagogue of Satan.” What is more, he does not hide his bigotry, regularly maligning women and the LGBTQ community.

It should not be difficult to condemn this hate speech and the person who constantly voices it.

Yet, at almost every turn, Mallory has failed to clearly denounce Farrakhan. Instead, she has attended Farrakhan’s speeches and posted her support for him on social media, referring to him as the “GOAT” — or, the Greatest Of All Time. Just this week, she was repeatedly asked on national television to clearly condemn him, and she instead dodged the question, taking issue with the words he chose and the fact that Minister Farrakhan is male, rather than acknowledging the hurtfulness of his rhetoric toward Jews and the LGBTQ community.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2019/01/18/debbie-wasserman-schultz-linda-sarsour-tamika-mallory-farrakhan-column/2602396002/

Last edited:

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I participated in the first march because Trump happened, but didn't realize today was the third annual until a little while ago. I'm not entirely sure I knew it was held last year, but I had other stuff going on at the time.

Needless to say, haven't kept up with it to know there was infighting, but if all that is true, it highlights the troubles the Left faces with it's Big Tent appeal, with many varied interests that are occasionally in conflict. Not quite as easy as rallying people around a platform of anti-gay, anti-choice, hate-liberals.

Good talking, DD. I didn't edit this post so I hope all of my word usage meets with your approval. ;)

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Women's March Organization needs to put new leadership in place.

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Farrakhan's siren song is seductive and he's extremely charismatic. His popularity and acceptance has risen and fallen but he's never really been dethroned. He seems to be ascending again of late.

If true, Mallory's fawning support (The GOAT? Seriously?) of Farrakhan is not indicative of the sentiments of even a tiny fraction of the Women's March supporters. Other similar organizations are already rising to take its place, as Wasserman Shultz indicated while Mallory suddenly finds herself under attack on national TV.

There's a slim chance the Women's March on Washington folks can purge its leadership and get back on track. In my mind, it's too late already though.

Nice talking with you too, DavidM, as always. Your word usage is far better than most, but we'll have to check with Oye to make certain. He has final approval authority. (y)

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure it ultimately matters all that much what happens with Women's March leadership because I don't know that the group wields much clout outside of giving people the feeling they have a voice of opposition; an outlet that isn't unique to WM. What is their mission and reach in between annual rallies?

I wonder if, in the grander scheme, their influence isn't much different than that wielded by Code Pink. You remember that group don't you, DD?

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the right wants to use this to deflect from the message of the Women's March.

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
As best I can remember, the Woman's March on Washington garnered significant media presence and even wall-to-wall live cable national coverage in high definition oozing with breathlessly adoring commentary.

I've never actually read their mission statement and various interviews I've seen would indicate their priority between annual rallies involves lobbying for women's rights, reproductive choice, equality under the law, enforcement of existing laws, continuance and expansion of those laws and to some degree, support of same for the LGBT community.

Code Pink? They're still around. Let me check Google News.

Ah, seems they're Women's March on Washington sponsor. They've responded by issuing a whatabout statement:

"The forces of white supremacy and militarism are growing more vociferously each day and women and children in Yemen, Palestine, at the U.S. border, black and brown women and trans women of color are on the frontlines; they pay with their freedom, safety, dignity, and lives," Ariel Gold, Code Pink's national co-director.

Also:

"Instead of attacking the leaders of the Women's March, people should be focusing on the dangerous forces inside our government with real power that support white nationalism and white supremacy," Gold declared. "For example, the antisemitic, misogynistic, racist, anti-immigrant dog whistles of Trump and the recent and previous statements by Representative Steve King."

https://pjmedia.com/trending/code-pink-on-womens-march-scandal-look-at-steve-kings-white-supremacy/

Last edited:

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
My wife and I participated in the first march because Trump happened, but didn't realize today was the third annual until a little while ago. I'm not entirely sure I knew it was held last year, but I had other stuff going on at the time.

Needless to say, haven't kept up with it to know there was infighting, but if all that is true, it highlights the troubles the Left faces with it's Big Tent appeal, with many varied interests that are occasionally in conflict. Not quite as easy as rallying people around a platform of anti-gay, anti-choice, hate-liberals.

Good talking, DD. I didn't edit this post so I hope all of my word usage meets with your approval. ;)
Yeah, if you are going to be open minded and tolerant you are bound to attract jew haters - because,tolerance.

Way to spin that one.

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, if you are going to be open minded and tolerant you are bound to attract jew haters - because,tolerance.

Way to spin that one.
Whiff.

I've never made the argument that everybody, every group, on the Left is motivated by tolerance.

I'm also not a NoI sympathizer, and increasingly wary of religious influence in the political arena from anywhere.

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
Whiff.

I've never made the argument that everybody, every group, on the Left is motivated by tolerance.

I'm also not a NoI sympathizer, and increasingly wary of religious influence in the political arena from anywhere.
Whatever, pretty ballsy to take the situation with the Women's Marches and try to pass it off as that just comes with having such a big tent.

Maybe your first post was tounge in cheek.

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Whatever, pretty ballsy to take the situation with the Women's Marches and try to pass it off as that just comes with having such a big tent.

Maybe your first post was tounge in cheek.
Cool. So you disagree with me. {shocking}

So, umm, what's your opinion of this "situation"?

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Your word usage is far better than most, but we'll have to check with Oye to make certain. He has final approval authority. (y)
heh...

my poststructuralist proclivities suggest that the exact opposite might actually be the case

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom