Sponsors, Politicians Bail From Women's March Over Anti-Semitism (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I guess it's time to ditch the pink hats? :idee-puis-non:

When the organizers of the Women's March on Washington attended Nation of Islam meetings and praised Louis Farrakhan on social media , the Democratic National Committee and Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla) pulled the plug on participation and sponsorship this week and others are following suit.

Wasserman Schultz, who is Jewish, told USA Today:

Farrakhan has a long history of anti-Semitism. He has said that Hitler was a great man, compared Jews to termites, and tweeted about “the Satanic Jew and the Synagogue of Satan.” What is more, he does not hide his bigotry, regularly maligning women and the LGBTQ community.

It should not be difficult to condemn this hate speech and the person who constantly voices it.

Yet, at almost every turn, Mallory has failed to clearly denounce Farrakhan. Instead, she has attended Farrakhan’s speeches and posted her support for him on social media, referring to him as the “GOAT” — or, the Greatest Of All Time. Just this week, she was repeatedly asked on national television to clearly condemn him, and she instead dodged the question, taking issue with the words he chose and the fact that Minister Farrakhan is male, rather than acknowledging the hurtfulness of his rhetoric toward Jews and the LGBTQ community.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2019/01/18/debbie-wasserman-schultz-linda-sarsour-tamika-mallory-farrakhan-column/2602396002/

Last edited:

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’m sure it’s been pointed out in the past, but it bears repeating. There really isn’t a single Women’s March organization. Pretty much each location has its own grass roots organization. So, the difficulty with leadership at one march doesn’t really signify anything about other marches. So I find the “time to ditch the pink hats” remark a bit of sensationalism; glad DD clarified it in a later post.

Yes, every social movement has it’s wing nuts. This will work itself out.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If true, Mallory's fawning support (The GOAT? Seriously?) of Farrakhan is not indicative of the sentiments of even a tiny fraction of the Women's March supporters.
DD are these your words or are you quoting?

either way, i'm not sure why this isn't your lede?
since it's not it sure seems like a 'gotcha' and more agenda driven than anything
you got good mileage out of the 'dumb anchor accuses black man of being white' thread (for good reason, that was incredibly dumb of her and/or her producer and deserves to be called out)

BUT your tut-tutting of the women's movement (and as soon as Flip got here) all the Left bc a supporter of an anti-semite is part of the leadership actually seems to be a meta trap you've set for yourself and others
the actual takeaway is that this group, like BLM and other groups on the left - and actually most of the Left itself do self-police
compare this to, say, Steve King - dude has said that same nonesense since he came into office but it's only now that the dems are back in control of the house that some idea of a rebuke comes up
there is no self-policing on the right - it continually allows itself to sink down to the lowest common denominator bc power in solidarity is the only value it seems to have

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Hi Guido.

Those are my words. It's not my lede because that's not the headline in the USA Today piece (and dozens of others on the Google News feed) and it's nothing new or controversial.

The news angle is that the DNC and a prominent Jewish female congresswoman who was formerly one of their biggest supporters have pulled their support because the head of the organization has expressed praise for Farrakhan, an outspoken anti-Semite for decades. Oh, she posted her picture with his arm around her too and got belligerent toward her critics.

The marches are not new or controversial. This is.

1547944569360.png

The Daily B
Jackie Kucinich
01.19.19 6:29 PM ET
east

At a Smaller Women's March, Leaders Preach Unity After Farrakhan Controversy

For their part, embattled leaders of the Women’s March used remarks to address allegations of anti-semitism and make it clear they weren’t going anywhere

“To my Jewish sisters, do not let anyone tell you who I am, I see all of you,” she said, before launching into a full-throated defense of herself. “No matter what they say, no matter what they write, I will not bend. My back is up straight, I will not bow, I will not break. I am who I am for over 20 years and no media outlet and no one else will tell you, I’m telling you, I love all people and no one will define for me who I am. Only I can do that.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/at-a-smaller-womens-march-leaders-preach-unity-after-farrakhan-controversy

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Now that our attention has been directed to this, it was interesting to see that calls for change go back at least to November. (Looks like we were asleep at the wheel on this one.)

Even odds that the group cannibalizes itself, and energy and participation flows elsewhere.

Somewhat reminds me of the Coffee Party movement that eventually unraveled because of infighting and leadership troubles, and not many people seemed to take much notice of that, either.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guido.

Those are my words. It's not my lede because that's not the headline in the USA Today piece (and dozens of others on the Google News feed) and it's nothing new or controversial.

The news angle is that the DNC and a prominent Jewish female congresswoman who was formerly one of their biggest supporters have pulled their support because the head of the organization has expressed praise for Farrakhan, an outspoken anti-Semite for decades. Oh, she posted her picture with his arm around her too and got belligerent toward her critics.

The marches are not new or controversial. This is.

1547944569360.png

The Daily B
Jackie Kucinich
01.19.19 6:29 PM ET
east

At a Smaller Women's March, Leaders Preach Unity After Farrakhan Controversy

For their part, embattled leaders of the Women’s March used remarks to address allegations of anti-semitism and make it clear they weren’t going anywhere

“To my Jewish sisters, do not let anyone tell you who I am, I see all of you,” she said, before launching into a full-throated defense of herself. “No matter what they say, no matter what they write, I will not bend. My back is up straight, I will not bow, I will not break. I am who I am for over 20 years and no media outlet and no one else will tell you, I’m telling you, I love all people and no one will define for me who I am. Only I can do that.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/at-a-smaller-womens-march-leaders-preach-unity-after-farrakhan-controversy
so this is a praise of democracy in all its messy forms?

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
so this is a praise of democracy in all its messy forms?
Of course! Let the marchers march, let the leaders lead and if somebody reels it out and steps on it, let the media be there to report it.

This isn't the end of the women's rights movement, it's just another phase.

You know, after being introduced to adult issues like abortion in Missionary Baptist Bible study, I made the mistake of making a comment about it in front of my mother. I said it was evil.

My mother's icy blue eyes cut deep. "If you had buried the number of dear friends that I have due to botched back ally abortions by quack doctors, you'd sing a different tune, young man. That's evil!"

My mom had seven children. Gulp! :oops:

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting anything more. (y)

Well yeah, now we get to see people so gullible that could look up at a platform, see Linda Sarsour, a pronent of Shariah law, conclude they were supporting women's rights, now try to figure how anti semitism might have sneaked in. And of course, try to convince themselves that they were not duped, because it was just a case of too much love and compassion in one place.

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well yeah, now we get to see people so gullible that could look up at a platform, see Linda Sarsour, a pronent of Shariah law, conclude they were supporting women's rights, now try to figure how anti semitism might have sneaked in. And of course, try to convince themselves that they were not duped, because it was just a case of too much love and compassion in one place.
Then what happens?

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
BUT your tut-tutting of the women's movement (and as soon as Flip got here) all the Left bc a supporter of an anti-semite is part of the leadership actually seems to be a meta trap you've set for yourself and others
the actual takeaway is that this group, like BLM and other groups on the left - and actually most of the Left itself do self-police
compare this to, say, Steve King - dude has said that same nonesense since he came into office but it's only now that the dems are back in control of the house that some idea of a rebuke comes up
there is no self-policing on the right - it continually allows itself to sink down to the lowest common denominator bc power in solidarity is the only value it seems to have
Very fine people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom