Sporting News #3 most overpaid athletes... (1 Viewer)

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
Deuce McAllister 5.8 million and Reggie Bush 3.6 million. Each is among the top 14 highest paid backs but the Saints ranked 28th in rushing yard per game in 2007.

Deuce McAllister 5.8 million and Reggie Bush 3.6 million. Each is among the top 14 highest paid backs but the Saints ranked 28th in rushing yard per game in 2007.

maybe sporting news should do a little research. deuce out week 3. sure reggie was down, 2nd year, give him a break. he was a little injured towards the end also. the oline didnt bring a game to every game either this season.

maybe sporting news should do a little research. deuce out week 3. sure reggie was down, 2nd year, give him a break. he was a little injured towards the end also. the oline didnt bring a game to every game either this season.

Adrian Peterson was not as hyped as Bush and he seemed to do ok in his ROOKIE year.

Adrian Peterson was not as hyped as Bush and he seemed to do ok in his ROOKIE year.

AD is a power back; they contribute right away. Reggie is a smaller scatback type. They sometimes take time to acclimate to the speed of the game. Yes, Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders did alright in their rookie years, but not everyone's like that. Bush will come around, but his first 2 seasons have been a disappointment. Hopefully opposing defenses won't key in on him as much and we can see him reach his potential.

AD also has probably one the best run blocking O-lines, not to mention Tony Richardson. Deuce was injured, Reggie was in Sophomore slump. Besides it's not like we are tight on the SC or anything. They get paid the right amount, but now after injury maybe Deuce will be willing for a little cut.

What is the link to the website with the informative information, and whose opinion is it based off of?

Results are the only things that matter. The Saints' backs didn't produce last year, so you're going to see articles like this. I don't think they're being unfair.

I agree. I see people on here all the time say that Bush is in his second year and needs time to develop but really, how long will you give him before you start to question whether RB is his best position in the NFL? 3 years? 4? 5? That argument would look a lot better if he was a QB but as a RB, especially one taken with the second pick in the draft, he sure does seem to be taking an awful long time to "adjust." There have been a lot of highly drafted busts at RB that started terrible and stayed that way. The only highly drafted RB that I can recall recently that took so long to develop is Thomas Jones. Im sure there have been a few others but they would be a small minority. Most star RBs show a lot more a lot earlier than Reggie has.

Dont dismiss my post as "Reggie bashing" either because its not. I would love nothing more than for him to come out next season and gain 1500-2000 yards rushing, score 15-20 TDs, exceed all the hype and expectations and in the process prove me dead wrong. If he doesnt though and his production at RB is more of the same, will people still be saying "he just needs more time to develop?" If so, Saints fans will be getting dangerously close to sounding like Falcons fans when defending Vicks poor passing skills.

Reggie does have a tremendous amount of talent though, its just that his best position in the NFL may not be RB and the good thing about Reggie unlike the RB busts of the past is that his skills do not limit him to one position. If he were moved to WR for instance, I feel that he could be one of the best in the NFL. Like a faster, shiftier Steve Smith. He definitely has the hands for it. So its not like Im giving up on Reggie or wishing failure upon him so I can say "I told you so." I dont think he will ever be a bust as an NFL player because of the different options for using him. Im just being realistic and considering that his future might not be at the RB position.

I agree they are not unfair, we spend a lot of money on running backs, and our running backs did not produce for us last season...

Of course, AD is running behind a top 10 LT in Brian McKinnie, 4 time Pro Bowler and probably the best guard in football Steve Hutchinson, and 5 time Pro Bowl C Matt Birk. That's his entire left side. Not to mention 3 time Pro Bowl FB Tony Richardson leading the way. Chester Taylor, who I consider an average RB in the NFL, has 2,000 yards in the last two seasons behind that o-line.

As for the premise of the thread, Deuce was out in Week 3 and looked to be hurt even before that, and Reggie was injured for most of the last half of the season. The Saints are also a pass heavy team.

Results are the only things that matter. The Saints' backs didn't produce last year, so you're going to see articles like this. I don't think they're being unfair.

Definitely true. Look at 06', Saints reach the NFCCG and you hear the Saints have one of the best RB tandems in the league.

Does anyone think that maybe Reggie had a down year because Deuce was no longer in there to pound the ball and take the full load off of Reggie? Once Reggie was given full reign of the running game he obviously couldn't handle it, yet everyone wants to call it a "down year."

J. David made more than the minimum wage didn't he?

This is a pass-happy offense - especially when playing from behind. I think that has a lot to do with lacking per-game stats, since the first quarter of the games we played in '07 were nearly pure passing attacks beginning in their respective second quarters.

Not to mention those so-called "extended handoff"s and (oh yeah) Deuce and Bush accounting for only 16 games between them last year (with overlap -- and I could be wrong about that, so feel free to correct me).

So basically what they're telling us is that with all of our injury concerns and backup playing time, we were still better rushing the ball than 4 other teams. Not bad considering we ranked 3rd in the league in passing yards per game - behind only the Pack and the Cheat.

Definitely true. Look at 06', Saints reach the NFCCG and you hear the Saints have one of the best RB tandems in the league.

Definitely not true. Comparing 06 to 07, Bush had similar stats despite missing 3 or 4 games and playing with a torn pcl. Deuce went down after 3 games. I guess if you consider injury a failure to produce then.........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom