Sporting News (6 FA's to hit the market) (1 Viewer)

Just think about this for a second...Briggs, Samuel in FA and then get Dorsey in the first. Our D problems are over and the we can look at the O side with the rest of the draft.

Not quite. We will still need a LB that can hit the hole, shed a block and tackle. That was Ulrachers position in Chicago. Are you ready to give it to Briggs? Not to say he cant do it, just saying he hasnt in his current situation. And our ends (DE) need to get upfield more and pressure the QB. We didnt have that sack total this year, and it put additional strian on a weakened secondary.

I've been looking at alot of mock drafts that have FA predictions and for some reason alot of people have us getting Lance Briggs this offseason. While I would be ecstatic to get any of the players on that link from Sportingnews I don't want to get my hopes up.

Can anyone remember who was our last biggest FA pickup on defense? Although Fujita is awesome and a great player I'm not throwing him in the categaory of big name players.

I just don't see us breaking the bank for Briggs or Samuel although I would love to see a healthy MM and Asante Samuel lining up for us.

I think Corey Williams should be a #1 target as a free agent to bring in.

I agree the Saints are weak up the middle and Williams is the best FA that we will have access to.

Unless the front office is determined to draft a DT then we should sign Briggs.

Corey Williams, Michael Turner, and Lance Briggs.

I know it won't happen, but it would go a LONG LONG LONG way towards making us a SB contender, when combined with a good draft.

Corey Williams & Bryant Johnson would be 2 great pickups. I don't think the FO will go for chumps this offseason, especially not after being burned--pun intended--by JD. The DT position will be instantly better and the #2 WR spot will be taken.

A couple LBs in the Draft and the Saints will be contenders again. It's simple as that.

Can anyone remember who was our last biggest FA pickup on defense? Although Fujita is awesome and a great player I'm not throwing him in the categaory of big name players.

Depends... Norman Hand was franchised by the Chargers... they took the tag off of him, and the Saints signed him a couple of weeks later in 2000.

Grady Jackson was considered a up-and-coming player when he was signed away from the Raiders, and we know how that turned out... same for a certain safety that was franchised by the Patriots and Haslett had to have him, so we made that trade.

The Saints did make a good trade for Mike McKenzie when he wanted out of Green Bay... but I'd have to guess the last player the Saints signed as a free agent and went to a Pro Bowl was Eric Allen -but that could be argued was awarded more on reputation than what he did as a Saint.

That's pretty much why I'm in the "buyer beware" group when it comes to free agency. I feel more teams get burned than not.

Depends... Norman Hand was franchised by the Chargers... they took the tag off of him, and the Saints signed him a couple of weeks later in 2000.

Grady Jackson was considered a up-and-coming player when he was signed away from the Raiders, and we know how that turned out... same for a certain safety that was franchised by the Patriots and Haslett had to have him, so we made that trade.

The Saints did make a good trade for Mike McKenzie when he wanted out of Green Bay... but I'd have to guess the last player the Saints signed as a free agent and went to a Pro Bowl was Eric Allen -but that could be argued was awarded more on reputation than what he did as a Saint.

That's pretty much why I'm in the "buyer beware" group when it comes to free agency. I feel more teams get burned than not.

couldnt have said it better myself

Fellas... as much as alot of you want Samuel... Samuel (and any other CB) would look like crap in our secondary if we can't get a pass rush! Alot of folks here would look like Samuel in NE's secondary... where Belichick blitzes like crazy and gets after the QB.

I'd target Corey Williams and maybe Lance Briggs... but stay away from high-priced CBs...

Fellas... as much as alot of you want Samuel... Samuel (and any other CB) would look like crap in our secondary if we can't get a pass rush! Alot of folks here would look like Samuel in NE's secondary... where Belichick blitzes like crazy and gets after the QB.

I'd target Corey Williams and maybe Lance Briggs... but stay away from high-priced CBs...

I gotta disagree. Corey Williams would be huge and we need to improve the front seven but we ALSO need to improve our corners. Especially considering our best corner went down at the end of the season with a serious injury and he's in the twilight of his career. If we can get one of those three top shelf corners I say go for it. There are more chances to improve the front seven in the draft. Why does it always have to be improve the corners or improve front 7. We need it all.

Corey Williams has to be our #1 priority!

Lets hope!

A good D is made from the inside and then on out. Hopefully we sign Corey then maybe go for a CB like Florence or William James (Eagles), sign a LB'er like Reggie Torbor, and maybe sign a S like Keith Davis (Cowboys) or Eugene Wilson (Pats) who is a FS.

Our D will be upgraded a ton.

I gotta disagree. Corey Williams would be huge and we need to improve the front seven but we ALSO need to improve our corners. Especially considering our best corner went down at the end of the season with a serious injury and he's in the twilight of his career. If we can get one of those three top shelf corners I say go for it. There are more chances to improve the front seven in the draft. Why does it always have to be improve the corners or improve front 7. We need it all.

I'm not saying that we don't need a CB at all... I'm saying we don't need to sign one guy that will eat up most of our cap... I'd rather sure up the front 7 and go into the season with Usama, JD, and 2 rookies at CB then to leave the front 7 stat quo, and sign one high priced FA CB that will get toasted because we didn't do anything with our front 7 to get after the QB.

OK... here's a good one... lets say Champ Bailey and Trufant became available... and we had the money to sign them both... lets say we sign them both, but do nothing about our front 7... how effective do you thinnk those 2 guys would be without any pass rush (ala the 2007 Saints)?

Samuel/Trufant/Asugmuha (sp?) would eat a considerable amount of cap space, and we wouldn't be able to do much else... besides sign more 3rd-tier FAs.

San Francisco broke the bank on Clements last year and look at what they got, even with their hot shot rookie LB.

Williams would be a great addition. Briggs, meh. Solid player, but we'd have to break the bank and we can get some solid LBs in this draft, even in the 2nd and/or 3rd round.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom