Sportingnews Team Reports (Saints) (1 Viewer)

We have a huge need at DT. Without a DT to keep blockers off the LB's or provide pressure on the QB a LB or DB won't make a difference.

Your point makes no sense. 2 of those 3 DL picks are probowlers and the base of our defense. One didn't work out. So we shouldn't take a DT just for the sake of doing something different?

I would definitly take DT if either Glenn Dorsey or Sederick Ellis is there at #10 (both are highly unlikely). I wouldn't mind trading down and taking a differnt DT, I just don't like reaching for one and as Bonchie stated, DT is definitly a need.

im not opposed to getting a DT but man, i really want Brandon Flowers CB-VT. I really think the guy will give us some attitude on D and he is a damn good corner as well...

Your point makes no sense. 2 of those 3 DL picks are probowlers and the base of our defense. One didn't work out. So we shouldn't take a DT just for the sake of doing something different?

No sir to you it makes no sense. To me it does make sense. A difference of opinion is what that is called.

Eric Stienbach signed a 7 year deal for 49.5 million with 17 million gauranteed
Derrick Dockery signed a 7 year deal for 49 million with 18.5 million gauranteed
Leonard Davis signed a 7 year deal for 49.6 million with 16 million gauranteed

The price of OG's went way up this past offseason. Expect Evans to get 40+ million and 15+ million gauranteed.
You are correct - I wasn't thinking about that. I believe Hutchinson killed the OG market a couple of years ago.

At any rate, I am a huge, huge Evans fan - but how much of a drop off between him and one of our two new guys? Would it be worth it to get Briggs or Trufant?

I'm thinking we need to go DL in the 1st round. Ellis if he's there, if not go with Groves from Auburn. Probably don't need to give up #10 so maybe we can slide to #15 and still get him. Groves runs a 4.4 +, that's crazy speed for a DE. Exactly what we need to complement our big and slow DEs.

You are correct - I wasn't thinking about that. I believe Hutchinson killed the OG market a couple of years ago.

At any rate, I am a huge, huge Evans fan - but how much of a drop off between him and one of our two new guys? Would it be worth it to get Briggs or Trufant?

Even if we re-sign all three, giving them similar deals to the ones I listed. Re-sign Aaron Stecker, Jeff Faine, Brian Young (bascially every FA we have minus Devery Henderson and a couple backups) you still are not talking about more than 15-18 million in usuable cap space. Still leaving us plently of money to make a splash in the free agent market.

In the next month or so you will see some of our UFA's start to be re-signed. I think you will see guys like Jeff Faine, Jamar Nesbit, David Patten and Brian Young be made priorities to keep. I also expect a strong push to be made to keep Eric Johnson, Billy Miller and Aaron Stecker. I also would not be surprised to see Jamie Martin come back with about a 2 year deal.

Guys like Colston, Evans and Will Smith are priorities but I think those negotiations are put on hold until some of the UFA's are locked up. We have a lot of guys that have the potential to leave, several are starters. I think deals with Colston and Evans will get done, but I would expect those deals to happen sometime before training camp, not in the next couple of months.

I am sure Colston, Evans and Smith's agents have had talks with the team. I am sure they pretty much know they will get taken care of. The agents are not stupid though. They know there is a time for that to happen. During the start of the free agency period usually isn't that time. They will get locked up, but there are more pressing issues right now.

Like I said, you give all those players listed new contracts and you still have 12-15 million in cap space to work with. We have enough cap space to get it all done, the real issue is if Benson feels like putting out close to 100 million in signing bonuses over the next two years, or if this team has the revenue to do that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom