SportingNews Team Reports (Saints) (1 Viewer)

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=350330

From what I read in the Article, it doesnt appear that aside from Ellis, Dorsey and Balmer no other position of need is worth the #10 pick, and that aside from Rivers no other Linebacker will be taken in the first round let alone top 15.....I personally like Balmer (6'5 300plus) so if he is the man to take there i'm all for it....I really just want an athletic LB who can provide a pass rush, thats why I was so high on Rivers at #10...but I think all our needs will be met, just cant play favorites.

I never see Dan Conner's name get mentioned. #10 too highfor him? Would he be there in the second round?

The top two tackles in the draft -- LSU's Glenn Dorsey and USC's Sedrick Ellis -- would be very enticing, though both might be long gone before the Saints pick. North Carolina's Kentwan Balmer should be available.

...and at that point, I puked a little in my mouth. Balmer has got BUST written all over him.

The Saints desperately need a CB. They can get the best one of a good group at #10. Thus, the best CB at #10 is worthy. Don't try and overthink it. That's the kind of mindset that calls reverses when simply handing the ball off runs out the clock.

The Saints desperately need a CB. They can get the best one of a good group at #10. Thus, the best CB at #10 is worthy. Don't try and overthink it. That's the kind of mindset that calls reverses when simply handing the ball off runs out the clock.

:plus-un2:

...and at that point, I puked a little in my mouth. Balmer has got BUST written all over him.

What about him are you seeing that the scouts and coaches alike dont see? is it because he is impressing people in his workouts, but until that point you never heard of him? (I could understand that) If the Coaching staff thinks he is worth the #10 pick, i'm all for it cause we need DT help, and if they think Rivers is the best player to take at #10 i'm all for it cause we need help at LB...and if a corner is taken...(and so on and so forth)

If the value for a defensive player is not there and the saints cannot pul a trade, I am all for taking OT Ryan Clady. A team can never have too many stud OL's. This could give the saints an ability to make a trade at a later date.

What about him are you seeing that the scouts and coaches alike dont see? is it because he is impressing people in his workouts, but until that point you never heard of him? (I could understand that) If the Coaching staff thinks he is worth the #10 pick, i'm all for it cause we need DT help, and if they think Rivers is the best player to take at #10 i'm all for it cause we need help at LB...and if a corner is taken...(and so on and so forth)

It's because I follow the draft very closely... I watch college football in large part because I love to watch players and project them into the pros... it's a hobby, albeit anerdy and somewhat gay one.. not that there's anything wrong with that

Balmer is the classic case of the under-achieving, physically impressive guy, who suddenly "puts it all together" for his senior year and tries to cash in. He scares the H-E- double hockey sticks out of me as a prospect.

He could be awesome... but he's boom or bust... and IMO, leaning way more towards the bust side of the fence.

*** If he was there in the 2nd round, I'd jump all over him... but not at # 10.

Last edited:
Lesson #1 about the draft: NEVER assume that someone "won't be there" at wherever one picks.

Dorsey could be taken #1 overall, or he could slide all the way to 10, depending on how teams stack their boards/trades/needs.

Personally, I see the Saints jumping a couple of spots up to take Ellis at #8...

It's possible that one of the 2 top DTs drop. Last year Omobi Okoye dropped to 10. He was a beast at the combine and everywhere else he worked out.

Is is likely? Probably not, but I wouldnt be surprised is one fell into our laps. I think we'd have a way better shot if we could somehow position ourselves in front of the Bengals.

The only way to be sure, is to trade up.

It's because I follow the draft very closely... I watch college football in large part because I love to watch players and project them into the pros... it's a hobby, albeit anerdy and somewhat gay one.. not that there's anything wrong with that

Balmer is the classic case of the under-achieving, physically impressive guy, who suddenly "puts it all together" for his senior year and tries to cash in. He scares the H-E- double hockey sticks out of me as a prospect.

He could be awesome... but he's boom or bust... and IMO, leaning way more towards the bust side of the fence.

*** If he was there in the 2nd round, I'd jump all over him... but not at # 10.

I think everybody on this board does that, it doesnt make us any more or less draft experts, its a hobby of mine also, (I LOVE FOOTBALL) so its not gay (cause I do it) but I see your point, and I figured thats what it was to, cause until his name started getting mentioned at the senior bowl, i had no idea he was that good......but most players earn there draft grades based on there performances in the all star games and combine, so Balmer wont be the first to improve his draft stock.

DT Kentwaln Balmer is starting to grow on me people, like Mike Mayock, are very high on him and he has the size and burst that we need.

The "putting it together" in his senior year might be an overstatement apparently he was doing very well as a Junior and got hurt early in the season.

I am not happy with the 10th pick because their is not a lot of game changing talent in this draft on the defensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
A lot depends who will the Saints sign in FA. If they can sign Briggs......and they have a pretty good chance to sign him, then it would be almost a sure thing the Saints will do everything to bring in an impact DT in the draft, or FA. There is no impact DT in FA, so I predict the Saints will do everything to try to move up for either of the 2 impact DTs. having Briggs as MLB, and no playmaker DT in front of him would serve no purpose, and the Saints would be just as bad against the pass as they are now.

The FA this year should be very interesting.......that will tell us what is the thinking in Saintsville.....

is it too much to ask that the saints get a defensive player of 4 that will make an impact???
i have 8 damn jerseys and not one of them is of an defensive player...

PLEASE BRING BACK THE D!!!
/92saints

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom