Sports card collecting (2 Viewers)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I recently had a football card box break video pop up in my Youtube recommendations, which has led me to having an itch for ripping open some packs. I used to collect when I was younger, but it's probably been about 20 years since I've bought anything. I already collect enough stuff, so I know I probably shouldn't jump into this, but it's way too much to have a stack of packs waiting to open in hopes that you pull an amazing auto or memorabilia card.

Anybody here do any sports card collecting?

not anymore....

I've got thousands and thousands. And if you want to collect to rip open packs, go for it. But the 'value' otherwise isn't really worth it, imo.

Jack of all Trades is on Netflix and it centers on a guy who tries to find his dad, who pioneered sports card shops here in Toronto and then just sort of disappeared with an employee of his, leaving his family alone.

But, the film is *also* about the market of sports cards. I really, really enjoyed it. And seeing this guy open up packs - including unopened ones - from the 80s and 90s was pretty wild.

It wasn't the sharpest made documentary, but for a sports card collector, it definitely held interest and a ton of nostalgia.

I have faith in your taste Oye; I’ll give it a look

I have a collection of about 2 shoe boxes full dating from probably about 78 or 79 to around 85 or so. I’ve recently laid eyes on the boxes and maybe this will inspire me to break it out and photo doc them. I remember tons of Steelers cards and a couple of Archie Manning’s including at least one of his rookie cards.

could you explain this please?

There are videos on Youtube where people will open up sealed boxes of football cards. They open the packs inside to show what cards are pulled, looking for the high value autos and memorabilia cards.

At one point I had an extremely large collection of Saints memorabilia which included several binders of carefully cataloged Saints player cards. Not having any place to display the collection I sold it all off several years ago. Seems like we had a thread on Saints collectibles.

I collected as a kid. Baseball and football cards.

The market really bottomed out in the eighties when collecting got popular and mint cards weren't rare anymore.

My son has my collection and I haven't kept up with it since.

Does anyone want to open a pack of 87 topps? I can oblige but you must chew and swallow the gum inside.

87t-griffey-and-contest-card.jpg

I used to collect as well. Still have some of the more valuable (albeit not much) cards that I'd collected to that point. The market became saturated with ultra high end varieties IMO. I'm not going to pay upwards of $10, $20 or $100 a pack for a *chance* at an auto or memorabilia card and 3 or 4 other potentially worthless cards. I'd rather cherry pick cards that I'm interested in via eBay, etc. But I did pass the card aisle at Walmart the other day and *almost* bought some on clearance.

Its all about these "breaks" now. A relative of my wife works in a card shop and I was in town so I stopped by one day a few months back to visit with him. They were actually doing one of these breaks while I was there. He explained it to me and I'm sure there are different ways of doing it. I this shop's case if I understand it correctly you pay a certain amount up front and you get to pick a certain team. You get all the cards from that set for that particular team. I guess the object is trying to get a card that is worth a ton of money. Its basically just gambling. In this particular break a person got a Zion Williamson card that was valued at over $1000. I don't know, this "breaking" thing doesn't appeal to me. I collected when I was a kid and I have boxes full of cards but like the owner of this shop told be if they are from the mid 80's to the 90's they are basically worthless because the market got over saturated.

Its all about these "breaks" now. A relative of my wife works in a card shop and I was in town so I stopped by one day a few months back to visit with him. They were actually doing one of these breaks while I was there. He explained it to me and I'm sure there are different ways of doing it. I this shop's case if I understand it correctly you pay a certain amount up front and you get to pick a certain team. You get all the cards from that set for that particular team. I guess the object is trying to get a card that is worth a ton of money. Its basically just gambling. In this particular break a person got a Zion Williamson card that was valued at over $1000. I don't know, this "breaking" thing doesn't appeal to me. I collected when I was a kid and I have boxes full of cards but like the owner of this shop told be if they are from the mid 80's to the 90's they are basically worthless because the market got over saturated.
Yep, that's what it seems to be about now. I think I'm going to look at collecting rookie cards for various players, maybe try getting some graded, hold on to them as the players progress. I don't plan on retiring off of them, but it's a fun hobby.

In the past I've wondered if cards will ever make a comeback? I'm betting they will at some point.....probably generations from now. The problem with cards is how saturated the market got in the late 80's and early 90's. That's what started the downfall IMO. I have a couple of binders stored somewhere that the kids will end up with when I'm dead and gone. Hopefully someone gets some money out of it someday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom