Sports card collecting (1 Viewer)

My Panini Prizm draft picks box of 6 packs came in today. Pulled these rookie cards: I'm loving the Justin Herbert one and getting it graded since those are already selling for over $200 on ebay. I think Ruggs, Lamb, Delpit, Akers, and Hurts have potential as well.
125968023_1492409857623870_8218857871726985286_n.jpg

Also is anyone on any of the card group pages on Facebook that does box breaks and people can buy in. Also you can buy/sell/trade cards with people 230CBB27-4091-4F5F-BECA-EB2D862973B4.jpeg

After a few years I finally went through a box of older cards that was given to me. Looks like a few had in person signatures on them.

59E61C2C-154E-4477-9F03-0859AFF557B7.jpeg

When I was a kid, I bought the entire Topps 1981 and 1985 NFL sets at a boat show in the Dome of all places. One was $14 and one was $17. Of course the 1981 set has Joe Montana's "rookie" card in it, but I handled it a bunch as a kid so it's not mint. Kids are idiots.

When I was a kid, I bought the entire Topps 1981 and 1985 NFL sets at a boat show in the Dome of all places. One was $14 and one was $17. Of course the 1981 set has Joe Montana's "rookie" card in it, but I handled it a bunch as a kid so it's not mint. Kids are idiots.
Dang I know the feeling. I use to play with, throw, make paper planes out of base set and 1st edition base set Pokemon cards as a kid. Literally tossed around hundreds of thousands of dollars. Is this a bigger fail than 28-3?

Cool thread. Glad it got bumped.

I was a major collector of football cards between 1989-1994. Which if you are a collector know that this was when cards were over saturated and not worth anything.

But I can’t wait to show my kids those cards. In about 5-6 years they will be old enough to appreciate them. What’s crazy is by that time those cards will be 35 years old. Insane.

Cool thread. Glad it got bumped.

I was a major collector of football cards between 1989-1994. Which if you are a collector know that this was when cards were over saturated and not worth anything.

But I can’t wait to show my kids those cards. In about 5-6 years they will be old enough to appreciate them. What’s crazy is by that time those cards will be 35 years old. Insane.
It is insane. Time flies by in ways we just don't pay attention to. I've got cards and comics in my possession that I've had since I was in the single digits of age. That's more than 30 years. I'm glad to have them with me for so long.

I used to collect as well. Still have some of the more valuable (albeit not much) cards that I'd collected to that point. The market became saturated with ultra high end varieties IMO. I'm not going to pay upwards of $10, $20 or $100 a pack for a *chance* at an auto or memorabilia card and 3 or 4 other potentially worthless cards. I'd rather cherry pick cards that I'm interested in via eBay, etc. But I did pass the card aisle at Walmart the other day and *almost* bought some on clearance.
The name of the game now (Jersey/ auto )sn't what it was 20 or 30 years ago. The price per pack isn't either. I have a saints jersey quad from 06 and a talman Gardner auto just because but that's it for saints stuff. Some reg base set saints cards but I toss the rest of the base set non jersey auto stuff. I'm a sucker for Allen and ginter baseball and gypsy queen finally kissed up this year. Goodwin champions gets way much of my money as well. A couple packs a week when they are available but that is about it.

Anyone want to add a rare 2020 Panini Pink Cracked Ice Julio Jones mini card to their collection? $30 with shipping included. It's a 10/10 #'d card, so it's last edition of it's kind.

126412906_565294911009764_5078405734261883392_n.jpg
126848944_652173782120434_8870730139683802148_n.jpg

Love these two Facebook group pages where you can buy/sell/trade cards. People often run fire sales and you can get nice looking cards for $1-$5 and even higher end cards that have patches and autos on them for $15-$40. Obviously the more rare stuff will still be $300 and up but always fun to see what's available. The admins and approved people will also run live rip and ships, breaks, staxx, auctions, and other games where you get cards. My favorite is the rip and ships. I'll buy a box of packs or a few packs here and there and watch it opened live and then it's shipped the next day to me and the cards are sleeved and top loaded already. Great deals and its fun talking with people in the comments and watching what others buy and get with the higher end packs and boxes that are $200-$500+

i have a fleer dennis rodman rookie card

more importantly, i have both topps lord of the rings autographs of lady galadriel, aka cate "the godess" blanchett. she is most definitely an athlete as she competes in hottest woman alive. i feel sorry for her competition.

4C6019D5-768E-4769-BF25-AE1748F65A8F.jpeg
Was in upstate NY at a mall and they had a card store. I spoke 30 minutes with the guy talking Saints and how in his area it’s mostly Bills, Giants, and Patriot collectors.

Anyhow he said he sell me these cards for a buck a piece. Was thrilled. Especially for the older cards. $9 total cash for this mini haul.

Edit: It was Arnot Mall outside of Elmira/Corning for those interested. Plenty more there

In the past I've wondered if cards will ever make a comeback? I'm betting they will at some point.....probably generations from now. The problem with cards is how saturated the market got in the late 80's and early 90's. That's what started the downfall IMO. I have a couple of binders stored somewhere that the kids will end up with when I'm dead and gone. Hopefully someone gets some money out of it someday.
I have probably 5000 football cards from this era that will likely remain worthless.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom