Sport's Illustrated: Scouting New Orleans (1 Viewer)

BlackandGoldXLIV

Lurkules (since 2001)
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Why, despite dwindling arm strength, the veteran quarterback still thrives in a system predicated on the vertical passing game. Plus, the defense’s biggest problem remains, why Delvin Breaux is better than you think, and the next Marques Colston?

Scouting New Orleans Saints: Why Brees Still Shines | The MMQB with Peter King

Nothing earth shattering reported. Just an average Saints read.

If people think the Saints have a "ho-hum receiving corps". With the 2nd ranked offense, top ten in scoring and #1 in passing, doesn't that make Brees even more incredible?

Good Lord. You'd think Drews arm is hanging off his body by a thread. Can't wait for him to throw for another 5,000

Has the embargo been lifted? Are we cleared to give Mr. King click traffic or he still carrying the water for Goodell and should be avoided.
PK is garbage.

I avoid him like the plague.
Is there anyway he can break any news on the Saints before we read it here?

PK is garbage.

I avoid him like the plague.
Is there anyway he can break any news on the Saints before we read it here?

That goes against his style. Much like Roger Goodell, King has an opinion and likes to troll SR for the nuggets that fit the narrative, ignoring the rest.

Sorry, that was way more narrative than you asked for. My bad. The answer to the question is simply:

"NO"

Good Lord. You'd think Drews arm is hanging off his body by a thread. Can't wait for him to throw for another 5,000

Brees' arm strength has been declining since 2004, when he "couldn't get the ball deep" to Eric Parker and Keenan McCardell. It was weak when he was intentionally underthrowing deep passes to give his receivers a better shot at catching them. It was "in decline" in 2014. It was also in a "noticeable decline" last year during camp.

Truthfully, he has to have some degradation in his arm strength. He's 37 years old and has thrown over 6000 passing attempts since his arm was zip tied back onto his shoulder. You're gonna see some wear and tear in that scenario.

But will it be enough to dramatically affect his performance in this offense this season? Highly doubtful in my opinion.

Brees' arm strength has been declining since 2004, when he "couldn't get the ball deep" to Eric Parker and Keenan McCardell. It was weak when he was intentionally underthrowing deep passes to give his receivers a better shot at catching them. It was "in decline" in 2014. It was also in a "noticeable decline" last year during camp.

Truthfully, he has to have some degradation in his arm strength. He's 37 years old and has thrown over 6000 passing attempts since his arm was zip tied back onto his shoulder. You're gonna see some wear and tear in that scenario.

But will it be enough to dramatically affect his performance in this offense this season? Highly doubtful in my opinion.

I'll be honest, at the beginning of the season last year I said Brees' had lost some strength on the deep ball because receivers seemed to be stopping to come back for it. However...by the end of the season last year, the zip on Brees' passes was as good as I had ever seen.

has the embargo been lifted? Are we cleared to give mr. King click traffic or he still carrying the water for goodell and should be avoided.

embargo...lifted!!!!

Attachments

• masterblaster.jpg
    masterblaster.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 15
This is literally a write up of the SI reporter's camp notes someone posted a day or two ago. King has merrily taken his colleague's work and passed it off as his...

This is literally a write up of the SI reporter's camp notes someone posted a day or two ago. King has merrily taken his colleague's work and passed it off as his...

Yep. Recycling the same "camp observations" like it's fresh material. They are wrong about the D line.

6. An inept four-man pass rush limited the Saints’ defense last season, and I’m not sure much will be different this season. Presumably, first-round selection Sheldon Rankins might help once he gets healthy, but a penetrating tackle can only mean so much. The pass rush meter is most moved by speedy edge-benders. The Saints don’t have one. Cameron Jordan is productive, but it comes more from energy and technique. Offenses don’t feel obliged to regularly slide protections his way.

No mention of Nick Fairley, who says he's feeling the best he ever has. PFF had him ranked 3rd I think for D Tackles so far this preseason. He lost weight and he's chasing plays downfield. I didn't see all of Brees interceptions in camp but one appeared to be because of Fairley's rush up the middle. No one ever questioned his talent, just his weight and desire. This is a contract year. They missed by not mentioning him.

No mention of Tyeler Davison. He may be this year's most improved player. According to CSP he's having a great camp.

Davison is pushing Jenkins. Contract year for Jenkins too.

Edebali is underrated, more experienced, and will help out Jordan.

And Rankins will be back for the 2nd half of the year.

Seems like national reporters are selling low on this defense because of last year and not because of something they are observing.

Ouch at the 0:48 second mark. Lelito appears for one still frame and he is beat and holding the Atlanta defender. smh

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom