Explained Spotrac and the Saints salary cap: Check before proposing to trade/cut players (1 Viewer)

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctorum
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fairly often, it's proposed in this space that the Saints should summarily move on from one player or another. Often, it's proposed that the team move on from one of the team's stars that carries a large cap hit.

The way NFL contracts are structured these days, there usually is a sweet spot in time where a player can be cut to reclaim some cap space. Before that sweet spot, though, most modern contracts make cutting or trading a player untenable due to the cap hit.

For the purposes of online discussion, there is a handy way to check online the fallout from a given roster move. That way is the website Spotrac.com.

Just to get the lay of the land a bit ... let's look at the top 15 or so cap hits (not salaries) on the 2022 Saints, followed by a summary of the 2022 Saints overall cap situation:

2022 NOS Cap - players.jpg

2022 NOS Cap - cap totals.jpg

OK, so a couple of things to note:

1) To determine the cap hit of cutting or trading a player, take the amount in the Cap Hit column and deduct the Dead Cap amount (all figures in parentheses are negative numbers). So for example, if the Saints had cut Cameron Jordan during the summer, we'd deduct his 2022 Dead Cap of $34.3 million from his 2022 Cap Hit of $12.4 million to yield a $21.9 million 2022 cap hit -- IOW, it would have cost the Saints almost $22 million in 2022 cap space to move on from Jordan before this season.

2) Current players on IR and past players' Dead Money count against the current cap. Against 2022's cap, Terron Armstead, Drew Brees, and Malcom Jenkins account for about 70% of that $42.6 million in Dead Money. And the reason you don't see Michael Thomas' $13 million cap hit on the player list above is because he tops the the next section, Injured Reserve Cap.

3) Combining the Active Player list above, and Injured Reserve players, the 2022 Saints only have two 2022 opening-day players with a cap hit over $10 million. Check out the looming 2023 situation in the next post.

I like sportrac but recently tried Over the Cap and I like that one more. It's even more in depth and detailed and it shows how those cuts/trades affect subsequent years as well.

Last edited:
The top 15 or so cap hits (not salaries) on the 2023 Saints, and a summary of the 2023 Saints overall cap situation:

2023 NOS Cap - players.jpg

2023 NOS Cap - cap totals.jpg

4) See at the bottom where it shows that the 2023 Saints are right now $62 million over the estimated 2023 cap? That overage has to be resolved at the beginning of the 2023 league year in March (think it's still in March). After that, tools like designated June 1st cuts (pushing 1/2 a cap hit to the following season) can be used to reclaim some space to sign draft picks and such ... but post-June 1st cuts CANNOT be used to get a team's cap down at the beginning of a league year. A team must straighten their cap out first, and THEN later take advantage of June 1st cuts.

5) Marcus Davenport's $7.6 million in void-year money against the 2023 cap? That's a result of his March 2022 restructure (details in link below) that converted over $8 million in salary to bonuses. Accordingly, Davenport will count against the Saints' cap through the 2026 season whether he's on the team or not (see link below).

I like sportrac but recently tried Over the Cap and I like that one more. It's even more in depth and detailed and it shows how those cuts/trades affect subsequent years as well.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-orleans-saints
All good. Spotrac is great for rough-and-ready "can we trade/cut 'em?" analysis.

I hadn't tried out Over The Cap, so I'll have to check it out. It does look like Spotrac is trying to compete with Over The Cap, because Spotrac added a Manage Roster tool (you can see the button in the images above) to let people play around with roster movements and such.

6) How about the 2024 cap? How much play room do the Saints have? Good news! The team is $5.2 million under the 2024 cap right now, with no dead money! Bad news -- the team only has 31 players (out of 51 + IR + Practice Squad) under contract for 2024.

7) Dang -- OK, what about 2025? Finally some breathing room: $93 million in cap space with 24 players under contract.

Except that released, retired, and traded players will rebuild the dead cap. Ugh.

8) The perniciousness of void year money. See all those orange amounts below on the Saints' 2025 cap list? Those are restructuring void years: money pushed out into the future to make 2022 and 2023 cap space. At some point, these amounts have to be paid for -- they CANNOT be cleared by moving a player. Void year money can only be pushed back some more.

So right now, against the 2025 (or later) cap, the Saints have to reckon about $31 million. 2024 is not so bad with the void year money -- about $15 million or so right now -- but all that void year money is money that can't be spent on players in the now.

2025 NOS Cap - players.jpg

Last edited:
All good. Spotrac is great for rough-and-ready "can we trade/cut 'em?" analysis.

I hadn't tried out Over The Cap, so I'll have to check it out. It does look like Spotrac is trying to compete with Over The Cap, because Spotrac added a Manage Roster tool (you can see the button in the images above) to let people play around with roster movements and such.

It's a pretty neat site. I like that it let's you see how the cuts affect the future year cap and they do the Pre/Post June 1st cut/trade math for you which makes things a lot easier to play around with.

1670434304631.png

5) Marcus Davenport's $7.6 million in void-year money against the 2023 cap? That's a result of his March 2022 restructure (details in link below) that converted over $8 million in salary to bonuses. Accordingly, Davenport will count against the Saints' cap through the 2026 season whether he's on the team or not (see link below).

I don’t think this is quite accurate. Over the cap shows $0 cap hits after next year. If he’s not extended then his contract voids at the start of next year and he’s cleared from our cap to start 2024.

4) See at the bottom where it shows that the 2023 Saints are right now $62 million over the estimated 2023 cap? That overage has to be resolved at the beginning of the 2023 league year in March (think it's still in March). After that, tools like designated June 1st cuts (pushing 1/2 a cap hit to the following season) can be used to reclaim some space to sign draft picks and such ... but post-June 1st cuts CANNOT be used to get a team's cap down at the beginning of a league year. A team must straighten their cap out first, and THEN later take advantage of June 1st cuts.

This is what's gonna hurt us. The league year starts March 15th we could literally cut every player that doesn't negatively affect the 2023 cap be left with 17 total players on our roster and STILL be over the cap by 17.7 million. That's going to mean another round of redoing contracts and shoving money into the future again.

1670434597648.png

I don’t think this is quite accurate. Over the cap shows $0 cap hits after next year. If [Davenport]’s not extended then his contract voids at the start of next year and he’s cleared from our cap to start 2024.

Thanks for this. I started this thread to elicit just this kind of discussion -- so that I can learn more as well as others.

So according to Over The Cap ... if Davenport is cut at the beginning of the 2023 league year, all that future void year money comes off the 2023 cap? So cleared off the 2024-26 caps, but coming all at once off of 2023?

If that's so ... that's not an enticing prospect for the Saints, either. But those kinds of calls may have to be made.

This is what's gonna hurt us. The league year starts March 15th we could literally cut every player that doesn't negatively affect the 2023 cap be left with 17 total players on our roster and STILL be over the cap by 17.7 million. That's going to mean another round of redoing contracts and shoving money into the future again.
Yep. For sure, you know that Lattimore and Ramczyk will not be playing for $20+ million cap hits in 2023.

In fact, it seems that a large majority of the cap hits over $10 million over the next two seasons are going to have to be dealt with somehow. Maybe a handful can be sustained, like this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom