Explained Spotrac and the Saints salary cap: Check before proposing to trade/cut players (1 Viewer)

2023 looks brutal. A long list of big cap hits paired with large dead cap values.

Thanks for this. I started this thread to elicit just this kind of discussion -- so that I can learn more as well as others.

So according to Over The Cap ... if Davenport is cut at the beginning of the 2023 league year, all that future void year money comes off the 2023 cap? So cleared off the 2024-26 caps, but coming all at once off of 2023?

If that's so ... that's not an enticing prospect for the Saints, either. But those kinds of calls may have to be made.
That’s basically how I understand it. His contract automatically voids after this year if we don’t extend so all remaining money accelerates to next year’s cap for a $7M hit.

And this was a great thread with tons of useful info.

Yep. For sure, you know that Lattimore and Ramczyk will not be playing for $20+ million cap hits in 2023.

In fact, it seems that a large majority of the cap hits over $10 million over the next two seasons are going to have to be dealt with somehow. Maybe a handful can be sustained, like this season.

Probably going to have to redo Michael Thomas which I'm sure will go over really well here :hihi:

That’s basically how I understand it. His contract automatically voids after this year if we don’t extend so all remaining money accelerates to next year’s cap for a $7M hit.
More than a $7 million hit, right? See figures in orange below:

MDavenport contract.jpg

I like sportrac but recently tried Over the Cap and I like that one more. It's even more in depth and detailed and it shows how those cuts/trades affect subsequent years as well.

Yeah, Over the Cap allows you to trade, restructure, cut pre June 1 or post June 1. It's super useful.

I have been thinking for a while that we should be thinking on a 5 year plan. Two years to clean the roster and cap and three years to rebuild.

Now, right now we are facing of Loomising, I understand why the decisions are made, but it took us to a deeper hole.

I wonder if Mickey is the adequate person to lead this rebuild, his impatience may not help us have the discipline to take the adequate decisions at the right time.

More than a $7 million hit, right? See figures in orange below:

MDavenport contract.jpg
If you add up the four orange figures in the “Restructure” column I believe they add up to next year’s cap hit of $7,626,938. So I think that’s our all in cap hit for him and it counts next year. Over the cap doesn’t show a cap hit after 2023. Not sure why Spotrac shows the $7m figure next year plus all the $1+M figures for the following years.

If you add up the four orange figures in the “Restructure” column I believe they add up to next year’s cap hit of $7,626,938. So I think that’s our all in cap hit for him and it counts next year. Over the cap doesn’t show a cap hit after 2023. Not sure why Spotrac shows the $7m figure next year plus all the $1+M figures for the following years.
I those are the hits that will occur each year from his restructure if we extend him, other wise it is the full $7m next year if he walks. If that’s right, it’s not very clear for sure.

Probably going to have to redo Michael Thomas which I'm sure will go over really well here :hihi:

The one player that should be traded/cut this off-season. It’s a what have you done lately and he hasn’t don anything on the field. Bite the bullet on him and let him go otherwise he’ll end up on IR anyway next season wether it’s his fault or the teams.

Rough take,but you just can’t keep restructuring a players contract and keep getting zero production him, let him ride the bench with another team.

I like Over the Cap simply for the Post June 1st cut option to push the cap hit until the following year (2024) which is what we always do anticipating the salary cap raising.

5) Marcus Davenport's $7.6 million in void-year money against the 2023 cap? That's a result of his March 2022 restructure (details in link below) that converted over $8 million in salary to bonuses. Accordingly, Davenport will count against the Saints' cap through the 2026 season whether he's on the team or not (see link below).

The way void year restructures work is that it accelerates that cap hit to 2023 when the void cut happens.

5) Marcus Davenport's $7.6 million in void-year money against the 2023 cap? That's a result of his March 2022 restructure (details in link below) that converted over $8 million in salary to bonuses. Accordingly, Davenport will count against the Saints' cap through the 2026 season whether he's on the team or not (see link below).

I'd bring Davenport back. His sack #'s aren't up but his pressure rate among things is equal to a year ago.

What's not equal to a year ago was the coverage and safety play. The former has improved in recent weeks but missing Lattimore has hurt a lot and I think dline sack #'s have taken a hit because of it.

He'll be cheaper to bring back for a year anyhow.

If you add up the four orange figures in the “Restructure” column I believe they add up to next year’s cap hit of $7,626,938. So I think that’s our all in cap hit for [Davenport] and it counts next year. Over the cap doesn’t show a cap hit after 2023. Not sure why Spotrac shows the $7m figure next year plus all the $1+M figures for the following years.
Have been playing around with the Manage Roster tool on Spotrac, and it's given me a clue as to what would happen if Davenport were cut next spring.

Just as Over The Cap shows, if he's cut going into the 2023 season, his 2023 cap hit is still the same - $7.6 million. Spotrac's Manage Roster tool show that, as well.

The kicker is: Even after being cut in spring 2023 ... Davenport will STILL have void year money counting against the 2024, 2025, and 2026 caps. It's just that his 2023 cap hit will be $0.00 -- but the books beyond 2023 aren't wiped clean. All the salary he restructured this past March will still be on future Saints' books.

EDIT: text in red above edited (originally said '.. cap hit is zero'.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom