Spousal Spat: Cindy McCain responds to Michelle Obama “proud” comments (1 Viewer)

This was a considered, not a dumb comment. She reflects the thinking of her vaunted educational background, which regards America less as a continuing experiment in popular democracy and more a systematic capitalist exploitation of indigenous peoples and people of color. An article in USA Today three weeks ago asked for the most familiar Americans taught in our schools. Washington was the only founding father to make the top ten cut. Martin Luther King was #1, Rosa Parks #2, and Sojourner Truth was #3. For the Sojouner Truth-impaired among you, she was an abolitionist and a feminist. This is as good as it gets in the history of America as filtered through a Howard Zinn prism.

The SR.comers are outraged, but for those versed in the higher reaches of academe, knowing glances are exchanged. Remember her words the next time an "immigrant pre-citizen guest" mows your lawn, or a "indigenous womyn" sews your shirt in an offshore sweatshop. They built this country.

Michelle scares me in a general election. Strong, intelligent woman, but she's got a hard edge to her. In her defense, I will say this is the first time I've felt proud of my country in seven years.

Dittos to SoonerJim.

This was a considered, not a dumb comment. She reflects the thinking of her vaunted educational background, which regards America less as a continuing experiment in popular democracy and more a systematic capitalist exploitation of indigenous peoples and people of color. An article in USA Today three weeks ago asked for the most familiar Americans taught in our schools. Washington was the only founding father to make the top ten cut. Martin Luther King was #1, Rosa Parks #2, and Sojourner Truth was #3. For the Sojouner Truth-impaired among you, she was an abolitionist and a feminist. This is as good as it gets in the history of America as filtered through a Howard Zinn prism.

The SR.comers are outraged, but for those versed in the higher reaches of academe, knowing glances are exchanged. Remember her words the next time an "immigrant pre-citizen guest" mows your lawn, or a "indigenous womyn" sews your shirt in an offshore sweatshop. They built this country.

:dunno:

SJ,

Do you really expect us to believe that YOU read USA Today? :mwink:

Here's the link. It wasn't Sojourner Truth; it was rather Harriett Tubman, who invented the Tubway.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2008-02-03-most-famous-americans_n.htm

After you posted that, I polled the 5 teenagers that were at my house. The results were:

#1 Washington; #2 - #4 Franklin, JFK and Lincoln; #5 - #7MLK, Jefferson and Madison; #8 - #11 FDR, Einstein, Rockefeller and Robert E. Lee.

After removing the US presidents, it's Franklin, then MLK, with Einstein, Rockefeller and Lee bringing up the rear.

One black man, no females whatsoever. That sounds about right.

Dumb thing for her to say, but unless Hillary decides to use it in an attack I don't see how big of a deal this will be. In six months when the general election campaign is heating up, no one will remember this. Americans can't even remember what they ate for breakfast.

The strategy to defuse this will be for her to declare her love for America over and over again in high profile interviews and talk about how proud she has been to be an American during her adult life. I doubt the Obama campaign wants to have a retraction of sorts, which would give the story legs. There will be a Larry King interview, or a 60 Minutes interview where she will go on and on about her love for America.

Still, I can't get over how dumb a statement that was. Apparently this was a written speech and she said the line twice, so apparently someone thought it was a great message. Michelle doesn't have the silver tongue that her husband does, she's had a few gaffes.

Dumb thing for her to say, but unless Hillary decides to use it in an attack I don't see how big of a deal this will be. In six months when the general election campaign is heating up, no one will remember this. Americans can't even remember what they ate for breakfast.

The strategy to defuse this will be for her to declare her love for America over and over again in high profile interviews and talk about how proud she has been to be an American during her adult life. I doubt the Obama campaign wants to have a retraction of sorts, which would give the story legs. There will be a Larry King interview, or a 60 Minutes interview where she will go on and on about her love for America.

Still, I can't get over how dumb a statement that was. Apparently this was a written speech and she said the line twice, so apparently someone thought it was a great message. Michelle doesn't have the silver tongue that her husband does, she's had a few gaffes.

Obama could just pass this off as his wife being so overwhelmd with pride that her emotions overrode her better judgment. The majority of his supporters will file that away under: That's just what women do and why we don't let them run the country. McCain supporters will buy it too, but that won't keep them from using it against Obama.

I disagree, its going to be part of a whole pattern that the Republicans exploit, among other things. She has never been proud of her country till now, he doesn't put his hand on his heart during the anthem, he thinks wearing a flag lapel is wrong, etc.
This election is going to be too easy for the GOP.

I disagree, its going to be part of a whole pattern that the Republicans exploit, among other things. She has never been proud of her country till now, he doesn't put his hand on his heart during the anthem, he thinks wearing a flag lapel is wrong, etc.
This election is going to be too easy for the GOP.

I wonder. Republican talk radio has been too busy trying to tear McCain down until recently. It'll be interesting to see what happens when they finally train their guns on Obama. I also wonder if that'll actually help McCain or maybe even hurt him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom