Squatters (1 Viewer)

GeauxWhoDats

Insert Clever Title Here
Reaction score
You hear horror stories like the one WWLTV just shared all the time. It seems like the Property Owners have a hard time dealing with this sort of thing regardless of the State. How did the balance of power shift so drastically in favor of the squatters over the actual property owners? I can understand the protection for Tenants but shouldn't Property Owners also be offered the same protection that allows them to remove people like this and prevent property damage? Isn't that one of the main reasons that rental and lease agreements are present? The agreements defines the responsibility of each member of the contract. Without a contract or an initial contract shouldn't squatters be removed immediately? Why is the system hand-cuffed so bad that it cannot react in a timely manner?

Squatters take over Portland home, owner says he was beat up after asking them to leave

PORTLAND, Ore. — The owner of a home in Southeast Portland is trying to sell the property but says that he can’t — ever since some strangers moved in and refused to leave.

It started back in January when the homeowner left town and the property was empty.

“Some guys, they just basically walked into the property, took it over,” said Nathan Jones, a realtor with Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices.

if im not mistaken, squatters "rights" only happen after a lengthy period of time AND they would have to have paid property taxes during that time as well.

This case, i dont see how they dont get evicted. Unfortunately have to go thru the legal channels to do so, but they will eventually be evicted.

But i dont know about Oregon statutes regarding squatters.

why "evicted"?

they're not tenants, so why not "arrested" for criminal trespass?

because, portland?

This happened to my cousin at a home she owns in Los Angeles. It started as a normal tenant and they just stopped paying rent. Took almost a year to get them out of there. Lost out on 10's of thousands in missed rent payments. The process they had to go through was insane because you can't just go in there and make them leave. Then its not like they were taking care of the property while they were freeloading. The whole situation was a mess!

You hear horror stories like the one WWLTV just shared
i see your problem here

only sort of kidding - to answer your rhetorical question - obviously laws like these were put in place bc landlords forced the issue
and do you really imagine that most of these cases get dceided in favor of squatters/late payers?
landlords still maintain most of the power

If i have a key to the house the tenants refuse to pay for, can i just help myself to just move in. If i can't kick them out, they can't kick me out either, right?

I think this all depends on the County/Parish. St Tammany is pretty cut and dry, over 2 weeks and you have to evict. That's what happened to me. Fortunately, you can request an emergency eviction, which gives the "resident" 72 hours to vacate. You have to go to a justice of the peace, but it's worth it if you need someone out in a hurry.

edit: This was 12 years ago, so the law may be different now.

Ever seen this movie? Keaton at his finest. The movie made my blood boil, I could not imagine actually going thru it. Takes place in San Fran...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom