**SR.com "Official" Mock Draft Saints Poll - Round 2 (1 Viewer)

Who Dat!

• Menelik Watson OT Florida State

Votes: 52 35.6%
  • Sam Montgomery DE LSU

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Baccari Rambo S Georgia

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Barrett Jones C/G Alabama

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • David Amerson CB North Carolina State

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Jamar Taylor CB Boise State

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB Florida State

Votes: 28 19.2%
  • Robert Alford CB Southeastern Louisiana

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
I think Williams is by far the highest rated guy. He played hurt last year. Some say he is on Floyd's level when he's 100%. Would be a steal at this point and maybe make up for that silly first round trade. We'd have two first round talents.

Went with Sly Williams. But I think guys like Jamie Collins, Phill Thomas, KikoAlanzo, Eric Reid, maybe even Matt Elam and John Cyprien will still be there in the 2nd. All guys I'd much rather see us have.

Went with Sly Williams. But I think guys like Jamie Collins, Phill Thomas, KikoAlanzo, Eric Reid, maybe even Matt Elam and John Cyprien will still be there in the 2nd. All guys I'd much rather see us have.
Whoa!!!! Cyprien is still on the board? Wow. Dude is a first rounder and may end up being the best safety in this draft. He can play strong or free. Good hitter with Incredible range and seems to be extremely intelligent.

Whoa!!!! Cyprien is still on the board? Wow. Dude is a first rounder and may end up being the best safety in this draft. He can play strong or free. Good hitter with Incredible range and seems to be extremely intelligent.

No, he's not. Nor are Jamie Collins, Eric Reid, Matt Elam, or Phillip Thomas still available. That's why they aren't on the poll.

Sylvester Williams, however, is still available. Which is why he was in the poll.

No, I agree. But stranger things have happened. The back end of rd 1, teams jumping up to get QBs, RBs, WRs. Guys like Cyprien, Jess Williams, Sly Williams(who's on the poll) are easily 1st rounders. Sometimes guys slip through the cracks, due to teams moving up to fill needs. I mean look at guys like James Laurinaitis, Courtney Upshaw, and Brandon Spikes. They all fell to round 2.

Pretty simple...I have Sylvester higher on my board than Watson.

Of the 5 boards I monitor, Sylvester is higher than Watson on 3 of them.

But the great part of a mock is that each person has a different board.

Also if I was building a board for the Saints I would have Barret Jones higher on that board than I would on a board for a different team.

I understand that way of thinking if all you're going by is BPA. But as of now we have no FA left tackle. I agree sly is rated higher. But is he so much higher than Watson that he overrides the need

Why is everyone so in love with Watson? He's a 25 year old right tackle who has played 20 games of football in his life. What am I missing?

I voted for Watson. I would have preferred Armstead or Kyle Long - but two savvy GM's already picked them up in the second round.

I like Watson but I'm not sure I really love him. When you watch him he does some really nice things from time to time and has characteristics you like:

- powerful
- good overall athleticism
- good hustle

And sometimes he looks like a bona fide top guy. Other times though he doesn't. I guess that inconsistent word pops up and that's probably fair as he's still learning the game.

There are some technique issues and the one that worries me most is his tendency to turn his hips to soon when pass blocking - I think he needs to stay square for longer. Also, he's not massively disciplined with his hands. Both of those things are things you can practice and work your way through.

I would question whether or not he could make the switch to left tackle. His feet aren't left tackle feet maybe and seem a little bit too slow. I think his feet are better than say Marcel Jones (though what I like about Jones is that while Jones' feet may be a bit slow, they seem to be placed well in his sets - i.e. always seems to be in the right place with the right body position); but he's a ways off others who've already been drafted.

So throw the positives and negatives together you get a mix which would indicate boom/bust - very talented guy with a nice ceiling but may not really develop...and may not develop into a left tackle which is what we would ideally be looking to draft here.

But hey, it's all fun and games in this mock so I'm willing to roll the virtual dice.

No, he's not. Nor are Jamie Collins, Eric Reid, Matt Elam, or Phillip Thomas still available. That's why they aren't on the poll.

Sylvester Williams, however, is still available. Which is why he was in the poll.

If all these guys are drafted in the 1st, like you think, then someone even better will fall. Theres 32 spots, and with all the trades, up and down, Im pretty sure that they arent all going in the first. Curious to see where you have them being drafted in round 1, and who you would drop. "Other" should be on that poll.

I went with Amerson because of his size and versatility, and I think he's a really good value here. My second choice would be Sylvester Williams. I know that we're in need of a tackle, but I don't like Watson here. I've seen Sylvester in the top 20 on some boards, so the value there is pretty stellar also.

menilik is too raw for a team that needs a more fundamentally sound tackle.

/its between williams and brandon jenkins. I like brandon jenkins better than williams based off hiss incredible performance 2years ago, sucks he was injured. However, arguably without the injury we probably wouldnt sniff jenkins at this spot. My problem wkth williams is consistency. its like flipping a coin.

I decided brandon jenkins.

If all these guys are drafted in the 1st, like you think, then someone even better will fall. Theres 32 spots, and with all the trades, up and down, Im pretty sure that they arent all going in the first. Curious to see where you have them being drafted in round 1, and who you would drop. "Other" should be on that poll.
This by the way is pick #53 so 52 players are off the board already.

Go to the mock links and see for yourself.....
http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/6...draft-1st-round-complete-290943/#.UVci-sq2Wnp

R1 -27. Minnesote (from Houston) Eric Reid, S, LSU
R1- 28. Denver Matt Elam, S, Florida
R1- 32. Baltimore Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/6...-round-new-orleans-clock-290946/#.UVcjmsq2Wno

R2-3 (35) Buffalo (from Philadelphia) Jamie Collins, LB, Southern Miss
R2-16 (46) St. Louis Phillip Thomas ,S, Fresno St.

I understand that way of thinking if all you're going by is BPA. But as of now we have no FA left tackle. I agree sly is rated higher. But is he so much higher than Watson that he overrides the need

You may have him higher on your board, but the disparity on my board and my belief that we have good NTs but no HoF NTs allows me to be comfortable voting for Sly...but I am cool if the vote goes in a different direction.

I just wanted to share my thought process on my vote and why it may be different than yours.

This by the way is pick #53 so 52 players are off the board already.

Go to the mock links and see for yourself.....
http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/6...draft-1st-round-complete-290943/#.UVci-sq2Wnp

R1 -27. Minnesote (from Houston) Eric Reid, S, LSU
R1- 28. Denver Matt Elam, S, Florida
R1- 32. Baltimore Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/6...-round-new-orleans-clock-290946/#.UVcjmsq2Wno

R2-3 (35) Buffalo (from Philadelphia) Jamie Collins, LB, Southern Miss
R2-16 (46) St. Louis Phillip Thomas ,S, Fresno St.

So according to that, Thomas and Collins are NOT drafted in the 1st round. So this supports my comment that not ALL will be 1st day picks. Thanks!

So according to that, Thomas and Collins are NOT drafted in the 1st round. So this supports my comment that not ALL will be 1st day picks. Thanks!

True but the purpose of this poll is to determine who the Saints pick in this particular Mock draft at #53 where as all of the players mentioned are no longer available.

"Other" is not helpful and does not follow any of the ground rules for this Mock nor does it make sense to provide options that have already been picked.

Maybe im baised because Watson is from the UK, but i still believe he would be a great pickup for us if we trade down to the 2nd round. Even Walterfootball has him at pick 33 in his latest mock.

But saying that you cant really go wrong with a load of these guys, Rambo would be a stud S in our team and probably allow us to cut Harper and save cap room. Amerson is a big rangy corner who has speed, he could be our Sherman or Browner! Williams and Jenkins would both greatly improve our options and depth on the front 7, and could turn into stud players with some experience and nfl conditioning.

Ultimatly my decision came down to the fact that i rate all of these players similarly high, but im scared of going into the full season with only Brown and some cheap FA OT vet as our LT options. Lets get this straight if Brees goes down from poor blocking at LT our season is as good as over. Watson may not be the finished article, but i thought the Hicks analagy was perfect. He's a raw high potential pick that could turn into one of the steals of the draft, plus he has the versatility to play left and right tackle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom