SR musicians and bands (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I see lots of threads on this forum discussing favorite bands, songs, genres, guitar solos, etc... And I see threads about guitars, playing styles, and other instruments. And I've seen some random posts in threads where folks post music samples of performances. I especially remember a guy posting an isolated track of him playing rhythm guitar to Ratt's Round & Round. Didn't play it note for note like the original, but added his own twist on the take and it blew me away. (I think I remember who it was, but it's been awhile...hoping he'll contribute to the thread and I'll know for sure.)

So, I've been thinking....I KNOW we have lots of musicians on here. Some are beginners asking for "how to" tips, and some are more advanced. And some of the clips/samples posted were really good....I really enjoyed them! Wishing someone would start a thread with musical projects of SR members. Maybe my search skills need work, but I couldn't find anything that resembles that here, and didn't want to hijack someone else's thread, so figured "what the heck, I'll start that thread." If there's something similar already and this needs to be merged, please do that and I apologize in advance. Otherwise, how about some of you musically-inclined folks post some samples, or links, to something....to your musical creations?! I'd love to hear others' musical projects! In a best-case scenario, I'm hoping this will blow up like some sort of a "best boob" or "best butt" thread....in a worst-case scenario, we can all hear new music that we might not have discovered on our own?

Here's my contribution to the thread....Hedon Machine....a studio project in my basement over the past few years. A collection of friends who randomly show up to write and record original music, just to "scratch an itch" and see how it turns out. Very influenced by 70s & 80s hard rock genres.

Enjoy, and please post your own links to your stuff you wanna share. Instead of swapping cassettes, let's share URLs and MP3s. Looking forward to hearing YOURS! :cool:

That's cool. The only stuff I really have is just me and my son jamming in the garage.

That's cool. The only stuff I really have is just me and my son jamming in the garage.

post something! even if it's just a phone video...i don't want to hear how "not very good" it is, as we were ALL beginners at some point. This thread isn't a "contest", it's about sharing something we all think is pretty damn cool...MUSIC! In that spirit, I encourage you to share something! :giggle:

Many moons ago when I was able to go out and enjoy live music, I tried to catch a band called Six Pack Deep anytime they came to town. I am pretty sure the horn players are, or at least were, members here back 15 or so years ago. No clue if they are still around, but they never did a bad show. Super high energy that just put you in a good mood. And if the 6PD guys are still around and jamming, ROCK ON!

I've written various types of music including a symphony, jazz pieces, choral music, hymns, acoustic guitar, string quartets, marching band, and drum and bugle corps.

However, my latest venture happened sort of out of the blue. A friend gave me a book of poems she'd written and asked if I might try to set some of them as hymns.

Well, after reading through all of them, ten of them inspired music in my head. The language that she used and the rhythm suggested a bluegrass feel, so I ended up making ten bluegrass gospel songs out of them instead of the requested hymns. She's very happy with how they turned out, though, so all is well.

Now I'm starting to hunt around for musicians who'd be interested in forming a band with me to record them. I can play the bass or the guitar parts, but I need a fiddle, banjo, mandolin, accordion/piano, and drums, none of which I can play.
Below is a computer-rendered demo version of one of the slow tunes. I have all of them rendered as computerized demos, but my voice doesn't work on any of the fast ones because the sound needs a reedy tenor voice, which is not me. This one works fairly well except for what should be a "waily" steel guitar sounds like a tinny bell.

Since I finished them , I got on kind of a bluegrass kick, and for the last couple of weeks, I've been making bluegrass versions of several famous songs from various genres including funk, heavy metal, acid rock, punk rock, new wave, jazz, and disco. It's pretty fun, actually. Of course, I'd have to get permissions for all of those songs, but if the initial ten offerings turned into something, that might be doable.

Last edited:
I'll have to see if I can find some recordings.

Nice. I started playing bass about 6 months ago, but I'm nowhere near that level.
that upright he's playing was almost $10k... that helps too lol
hope you enjoy learning the bass - everything i've heard him do with the electric as well as upright have made me appreciate bass more than ever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom