SR Non-Offiical Mock Draft First Round Thread! (1 Viewer)

With the 29th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft the New England Patriots select:
MARGUS HUNT defensive end out of Southern Methodist University.

OVERVIEW
Estonia has not been a fertile scouting ground for the NFL in the past, but teams might consider going abroad more consistently if they can find talents like Hunt. His name first appeared on the international athletic scene after he won gold medals in both the shot put and discus events at the 2006 World Junior Track and Field Championships in Beijing. Hunt, who also won the 2005 European Junior discus title, was the first junior ever to pull off that double.

Hunt arrived at SMU in 2007, working with track and field coach Dave Wollman with the hopes they would revive the previously cut men’s program. That didn’t come through, so he decided to turn his attention to the football field. He made his name on special teams in his first year with the Mustangs, blocking seven kicks (one short of the NCAA record). Hunt had eight tackles in 13 games, including a sack against Nevada in the team’s Hawaii Bowl victory. He started all 13 games as a sophomore, registering 6.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, and three blocked kicks. And though he started just two of the 13 games in which he played in 2011, his three-sack effort in the BBVA Compass Bowl win over Pittsburgh made scouts take notice. He also blocked four more kicks, giving him 14 in his career -– including an NCAA career record nine field goals.

Following his breakout bowl performance, Hunt earned the number one spot in Bruce Feldman’s Annual “Freak List,” noting Hunt’s incredible combination of size, length, and speed. He took over a starting role at defensive end for SMU his senior year. His knack for blocking kicks continued, ending his career with 17 total, two short of the NCAA record. He accumulated 31 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 8 sacks, and 1 interception on his way to earning first team All-Conference USA honors. He has displayed impressive progression through his career and figures to be heavily coveted by 3-4 teams to play defensive end.
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Tall, thick but athletic lineman with loads of potential. Much quicker than you’d expect off the snap given his size, and his long first step helps him pressure the outside shoulder of tackles when outside and win the gap at three-technique. Shows the ability to anchor from both the 3-tech and 5-tech spots. Has the speed to run the arm and beat tackles off the edge. Fast and strong hands stun his man, extends his arms to keep leverage. Uses his length very well to keep blockers off his body. Plays contain well on the edge, pops off his block and swallows backs with his strong upper body. Long strides eat a lot of grass when closing to the quarterback. Good closing speed. Will chase plays downfield. Height and length allow him to affect quarterbacks’ vision when unable to reach him; they also make him an ideal interior player on the field goal block team. Flashes the ability to come off the ball hard and low in short-yardage situations despite his height. Good natural strength – can anchor and shed even when he loses the leverage battle. Varies the tempo of his pass rush well once the offensive line overplays his speed rush.
WEAKNESSES Must be cognizant to play with bend due to his height, pops up off the snap and will stand upright during the play if tired, losing leverage. Agile for his size, but is still a linear athlete with questionable change of direction and flexibility. More mobile quarterbacks and quick running backs will elude him in the backfield. Turning the corner on his initial pass rush is a chore due to his bulk. Still learning the game, must find the ball consistently. Older than most prospects (will be 25). Doesn't bring his body when he tackles and subsequently misses a lot. Ineffective bull rush due to not playing with leverage and lacks counters when his initial move fails.
NFL COMPARISON Calais Campbell
BOTTOM LINE Hunt initially moved to the United States from his native Estonia to further his amateur track career (he won gold medals in the shot put and discus at the 2006 World Junior Championships). Now the 25 year-old uses his elite size/athleticism combination to make an impact on defense (three sacks in the BVAA Compass Bowl against Pittsburgh to finish off 2011, a sack and two forced fumbles against Fresno in the Hawaii Bowl) and special teams (17 blocked kicks in four years). Fulfilling his potential as a starting NFL five-technique defensive end as a senior could land him in the top half of the first round in April.

With the 30th pick the Atlanta Falcons select:

Datone Jones, DE/DT, UCLA 6'4" 283 4.8/40

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O8IB-0TktD8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<article id="yui_3_5_0_5_1363933183816_26"> Bottom Line

Jones looks the part, and his production matched up to his talent in his senior season. He is very long, has good initial quickness/power, and plays with good pad level. He is versatile enough to play anywhere along the defensive line. Going forward, Jones needs to do a better job of anchoring, or disengaging once his intial surge is halted. However, his immense physical talent and extremely productive senior season should make him an early selection. </article>

With the 30th pick the Atlanta Falcons select:

Datone Jones, DE/DT, UCLA 6'4" 283 4.8/40

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O8IB-0TktD8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Solid pick!

It's suddenly a DE pick festival.

Solid pick!

It's suddenly a DE pick festival.

That's where I've seen the value lately (apart from the og/c-position). With all the top WRs as well as Eifert gone Jones seems like a solid pick as he can play with Babs on the interior on rush downs as well as a DE in the hybrid.

The question is how often the Falcons will run the 3-4, Nolan wouldn't mind running the 3-4, the cons got rid of of a couple of their 3-4 guys and I wouldn't say that it would be odd seeing how they never really found anyone to be a consistent pass rusher next to Abraham.

As a saints fan, I do however hope that D. Moore and Werner won't drop this far, I definitely don't want to see them play for the Falcons and I do think it probably would have been worth a 3rd round pick to get one of those players instead.

Oh, and I'm very happy to see how quickly we're moving on. It doesn't seem like we'll have to wait for months to finish it this time.

That's where I've seen the value lately (apart from the og/c-position). With all the top WRs as well as Eifert gone Jones seems like a solid pick as he can play with Babs on the interior on rush downs as well as a DE in the hybrid.

The question is how often the Falcons will run the 3-4, Nolan wouldn't mind running the 3-4, the cons got rid of of a couple of their 3-4 guys and I wouldn't say that it would be odd seeing how they never really found anyone to be a consistent pass rusher next to Abraham.

As a saints fan, I do however hope that D. Moore and Werner won't drop this far, I definitely don't want to see them play for the Falcons and I do think it probably would have been worth a 3rd round pick to get one of those players instead.

Oh, and I'm very happy to see how quickly we're moving on. It doesn't seem like we'll have to wait for months to finish it this time.

:grin:

I think last time we were a little bit too close to the real draft as well and once it started everyone lost interest. But yeah everyone seems to be focused and committed this year.

I agree about not wanting Moore or Werner to drop to the Clowns, it's possible I suppose, but I think they'll probably go a little earlier, in the 20's or higher.

With the 31st pick the 49ers select....
LSU_logo.gif
Eric Reid*, S, LSU
Height: 6-2. Weight: 212.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53.

Overview
LSU has been especially strong in producing defensive backs to the NFL, with Reid entering his junior season every bit as highly regarded as former top six picks Patrick Peterson, Morris Claiborne and LaRon Landry.

Reid, the son of a former three-time All-American (1984-87) sprinter for LSU with the same name, signed with the Tigers as a highly regarded prep prospect and immediately made an impact, playing in all 13 games and earning starts in the final three regular season contests. He posted 32 tackles, including a tackle for loss and demonstrated the ability to make big plays in big games immediately, snaring his two interceptions against the likes of Ryan Mallett (Arkansas) and Ryan Tannehill (Texas A&M) in the Cotton Bowl.

Reid was even more dynamic in his second season as LSU's starting free safety, tying Tyrann Mathieu with the team lead in tackles (76), including 53 solo stops. He also registered two tackles for loss, two forced fumbles (one recovered) and two interceptions (Tennessee, Alabama). Reid's interception against Alabama came at the 1-yard line in the fourth quarter, preserving the 6-6 tie that eventually led to LSU's overtime victory.

The play was characterized by ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit as the top defensive play of the 2011 regular season and Reid was recognized as the SEC's and Bronko Nagurski Trophy's Defensive Player of the Week for his effort against the Tide (six tackles, one for loss, forced fumble, INT).

Though he was named a member of the First Team All-SEC team in 2012, Reid wasn't as flashy in what turned out to be his final season in Baton Rouge. He collected 91 tackles, seven pass breakups and two interceptions on the season.
While his talent and tools scream top 32 pick, Reid displayed some maddening inconsistency in 2012. He has a tendency to be too aggressive, biting on misdirection when playing in the box, and that intensity has also led to an alarming amount of penalties for late hits and pass interference.

Workout Results
<TABLE class="vitalTable four"><TBODY><TR><TH>40</TH><TH>20</TH><TH>10</TH><TH>Bench</TH></TR><TR><TD>4.53</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>17</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="vitalTable four"><TBODY><TR><TH>Vertical</TH><TH>Broad</TH><TH>Shuttle</TH><TH>Cone</TH></TR><TR><TD>40.50</TD><TD>11'2"</TD><TD>4.22</TD><TD>6.99</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- vitalsTables -->Vitals
Height
6-1
Arm Length
33 5/8
Weight
213 lbs.
Hand Length

<!-- vitalsPlayer -->
<!-- vitalsDiv -->
<!-- leftSide -->Latest News
01/04/2013 - LSU safety Eric Reid will forgo his final season of eligibility and will make himself available for the 2013 NFL Draft, the junior announced on Friday. Reid, a first-team All-America selection in 2012, joins linebacker Kevin Minter as LSU's early NFL entries thus far. In three years with the Tigers, Reid played on teams that won 10 or more games all three years, including last year's 13-1 squad that captured the Southeastern Conference title and reached the BCS National Championship Game. Reid's three-year record at LSU was 34-6.
"I've been very fortunate and blessed to have been able to play football at LSU," Reid said. "It was always my dream to go to LSU and play football. "I want to thank Coach (Les) Miles and all of the people that played a role to get me to this point in my life. This was a very difficult decision because I always wanted to be a Tiger and I love LSU. But, after careful consideration and talking with my family, I feel like this is the right time to make this decision. I will always be a LSU Tiger."
In his final season with the Tigers in 2012, Reid started all 13 games and finished third on the team in tackles with 91. He had seven pass breakups, two pass interceptions, one tackle for loss and recovered a fumble for an LSU defense that ranked among the best in the nation. - LSU football
More Eric Reid News

<!--
Latest News

-->
Overview
LSU has been especially strong in producing defensive backs to the NFL, with Reid entering his junior season every bit as highly regarded as former top six picks Patrick Peterson, Morris Claiborne and LaRon Landry.

Reid, the son of a former three-time All-American (1984-87) sprinter for LSU with the same name, signed with the Tigers as a highly regarded prep prospect and immediately made an impact, playing in all 13 games and earning starts in the final three regular season contests. He posted 32 tackles, including a tackle for loss and demonstrated the ability to make big plays in big games immediately, snaring his two interceptions against the likes of Ryan Mallett (Arkansas) and Ryan Tannehill (Texas A&M) in the Cotton Bowl.

Reid was even more dynamic in his second season as LSU's starting free safety, tying Tyrann Mathieu with the team lead in tackles (76), including 53 solo stops. He also registered two tackles for loss, two forced fumbles (one recovered) and two interceptions (Tennessee, Alabama). Reid's interception against Alabama came at the 1-yard line in the fourth quarter, preserving the 6-6 tie that eventually led to LSU's overtime victory.

The play was characterized by ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit as the top defensive play of the 2011 regular season and Reid was recognized as the SEC's and Bronko Nagurski Trophy's Defensive Player of the Week for his effort against the Tide (six tackles, one for loss, forced fumble, INT).

Though he was named a member of the First Team All-SEC team in 2012, Reid wasn't as flashy in what turned out to be his final season in Baton Rouge. He collected 91 tackles, seven pass breakups and two interceptions on the season.
While his talent and tools scream top 32 pick, Reid displayed some maddening inconsistency in 2012. He has a tendency to be too aggressive, biting on misdirection when playing in the box, and that intensity has also led to an alarming amount of penalties for late hits and pass interference.

Analysis
Strengths: Possesses the prototypical frame for the position, boasting wide shoulders, long arms and a tapered frame. Reid is a fantastic downhill athlete with quick read-and-react ability to attack the play with steam spurting from his ears. He might be the explosive hitter from the safety position in the 2013 draft, closing with the speed and physicality of a linebacker rather than a defensive back.

Possesses the size and athleticism combination teams are desperate to find to counter the hybrid receiver/tight ends taking over the seams. Doesn't possess top flexibility but accelerates surprisingly well for his length and has good straight-line speed, overall. Physical with receivers downfield and plays 50-50 balls well, using his size and strength to his advantage.

Weaknesses: Reid's biggest strength is also his greatest weakness. He plays with nonstop aggressiveness and intensity, but he doesn't always control that hostility in a smart way on the football field. He throws his body around and might be the most violent striker in the SEC, but if Reid doesn't learn how to play smarter and harness his fierce playing style then he'll have a tough time making a living in the NFL.

He is a bit stiff in coverage and can be beaten by quicker slot receivers. Has been protected by some awfully talented cornerbacks throughout his career and wasn't the playmaker in 2012 he had been the past two seasons with Claiborne and Mathieu no longer on the roster.
Compares To: LaRon Landry, FS, New York Jets -- Reid signed with LSU patterning his game after the former Tigers' standout and it shows in his physique and bone-jarring hits. Of concern to scouts is the fact that Reid, like Landry, is a bit stiff and not as fast on the field in deep coverage as he may test during workouts.
ER.jpg

eric-reid-vs-vandy.jpg

We lose Gholston and replace him with a NFL ready FS who will be able to create turnovers with his teeth jarring hits and ball skills. We feel he will step right in and start next to Dontae Whitner and our top 5 defense will not miss a beat.

With the 31st pick the 49ers select....
LSU_logo.gif
Eric Reid*, S, LSU
Height: 6-2. Weight: 212.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53.

Overview

Workout Results
<TABLE class="vitalTable four"><TBODY><TR><TH>40</TH><TH>20</TH><TH>10</TH><TH>Bench</TH></TR><TR><TD>4.53</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>17</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="vitalTable four"><TBODY><TR><TH>Vertical</TH><TH>Broad</TH><TH>Shuttle</TH><TH>Cone</TH></TR><TR><TD>40.50</TD><TD>11'2"</TD><TD>4.22</TD><TD>6.99</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- vitalsTables -->Vitals
Height
6-1
Arm Length
33 5/8
Weight
213 lbs.
Hand Length

<!-- vitalsPlayer -->
<!-- vitalsDiv -->
<!-- leftSide -->Latest News
01/04/2013 - LSU safety Eric Reid will forgo his final season of eligibility and will make himself available for the 2013 NFL Draft, the junior announced on Friday. Reid, a first-team All-America selection in 2012, joins linebacker Kevin Minter as LSU's early NFL entries thus far. In three years with the Tigers, Reid played on teams that won 10 or more games all three years, including last year's 13-1 squad that captured the Southeastern Conference title and reached the BCS National Championship Game. Reid's three-year record at LSU was 34-6.
"I've been very fortunate and blessed to have been able to play football at LSU," Reid said. "It was always my dream to go to LSU and play football. "I want to thank Coach (Les) Miles and all of the people that played a role to get me to this point in my life. This was a very difficult decision because I always wanted to be a Tiger and I love LSU. But, after careful consideration and talking with my family, I feel like this is the right time to make this decision. I will always be a LSU Tiger."
In his final season with the Tigers in 2012, Reid started all 13 games and finished third on the team in tackles with 91. He had seven pass breakups, two pass interceptions, one tackle for loss and recovered a fumble for an LSU defense that ranked among the best in the nation. - LSU football
More Eric Reid News

<!--
Latest News

-->
Overview

Analysis
Strengths: Possesses the prototypical frame for the position, boasting wide shoulders, long arms and a tapered frame. Reid is a fantastic downhill athlete with quick read-and-react ability to attack the play with steam spurting from his ears. He might be the explosive hitter from the safety position in the 2013 draft, closing with the speed and physicality of a linebacker rather than a defensive back.

Possesses the size and athleticism combination teams are desperate to find to counter the hybrid receiver/tight ends taking over the seams. Doesn't possess top flexibility but accelerates surprisingly well for his length and has good straight-line speed, overall. Physical with receivers downfield and plays 50-50 balls well, using his size and strength to his advantage.

Weaknesses: Reid's biggest strength is also his greatest weakness. He plays with nonstop aggressiveness and intensity, but he doesn't always control that hostility in a smart way on the football field. He throws his body around and might be the most violent striker in the SEC, but if Reid doesn't learn how to play smarter and harness his fierce playing style then he'll have a tough time making a living in the NFL.

He is a bit stiff in coverage and can be beaten by quicker slot receivers. Has been protected by some awfully talented cornerbacks throughout his career and wasn't the playmaker in 2012 he had been the past two seasons with Claiborne and Mathieu no longer on the roster.
Compares To: LaRon Landry, FS, New York Jets -- Reid signed with LSU patterning his game after the former Tigers' standout and it shows in his physique and bone-jarring hits. Of concern to scouts is the fact that Reid, like Landry, is a bit stiff and not as fast on the field in deep coverage as he may test during workouts.
ER.jpg

eric-reid-vs-vandy.jpg

We lose Gholston and replace him with a NFL ready FS who will be able to create turnovers with his teeth jarring hits and ball skills. We feel he will step right in and start next to Dontae Whitner and our top 5 defense will not miss a beat.

GREAT freaking pick STEW!!!!

The Jets are now not excited. Eric Reid was our man. Rex has informed me that he will be slapping feet later tonight in an apparent outrage over Eric's lack of availability

I got the Ravens board from nextyear..
WIth the last pick in the 1st round the Ravens select....

FloridaInternational_logo.gif
Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
Height: 6-0. Weight: 209. Arm: 30 1/2. Hand: 10 1/8.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.

Jonathan-Cyprien.png

I got the Ravens board from nextyear..
WIth the last pick in the 1st round the Ravens select....

FloridaInternational_logo.gif
Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
Height: 6-0. Weight: 209. Arm: 30 1/2. Hand: 10 1/8.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.

Jonathan-Cyprien.png

Marvin is upset, this guy was a big Bengals target!

Good pick Stew!

Here's my write up on the Raven's 1st round selection S Jonathan Cyprien

Overview
Another talented safety from the Miami area, Cyprien did not attend the "U" but instead made a name for himself under Mario Cristobal at FIU. The interchangeable safety is a talker on the field and never plays half speed, as he showed during unpadded practices at the Senior Bowl.

The North Miami Beach native earned honorable mention All-Sun Belt notice as a true freshman, playing every game and picking up seven starts; he ranked second on the team with 78 tackles while also picking off one pass, breaking up three others, and forcing two fumbles. There was no sophomore slump, as he led the Panthers with 113 tackles (three for loss) while intercepting another pass, recording six pass breakups, and creating three fumbles. Before the 2011 season, Cyprien claimed the number seven jersey previously worn by 2011 Tampa Bay Buccaneers&#8217; seventh-round pick Anthony Gaitor (he switched from the 25 sweater). While his tackle total decreased in his junior season (81), his tackles for loss (5.5) and passes defended (one INT, eight PBU) rose on his way to a second-straight second-team All-Sun Belt honor. His 11-tackle, two-pass-breakup effort against Louisville early in the year didn&#8217;t escape the notice of scouts, even with teammate T.Y. Hilton lighting up the Cardinals as a receiver and returner for 268 all-purpose yards.

In 2012, Cyprien drew enough recognition with his play to earn a Senior Bowl invitation. On the way to becoming FIU's all-time leading tackle, Cyprien notched 93 total tackles his senior year, including 3.5 for loss. He added five pass breakups and four interceptions, along with one forced fumble.
</SECTION><SECTION id=yui_3_5_0_5_1363991520826_23>
<ARTICLE>Strengths

Looks and plays like a strong in-the-box safety with solid thickness throughout his build. Holds his ground against blocks from bigger opponents, and also runs through traffic to wrap up ballcarriers inside (sometimes as a fast edge blitzer). Possesses enough speed and athleticism to cover ground as a zone defender in the back half and line up against slot receivers inside. Closes on stretch runs and quick throws to outside receivers even when playing well back from the line. Beats receiver blocks with quickness or strength. His secure tackling in those situations is also notable, as he brings some attitude into his attempts unlike other defensive backs in this class. Used as a blitzer on run and pass plays, can overpower running back blocks.

</ARTICLE><ARTICLE>Weaknesses

Doesn&#8217;t have elite range or the height/length combination to play as a single-deep safety. Quick enough to make a hit after the catch when deep, but is often a step slow to recognize the pass coming into his area. Aggressive in coverage, he can be sucked up by play action and will jump underneath routes, allowing plays over the top. Lacks elite change of direction and quickness in man coverage, and does not recover like a corner if beaten by a quick move off the line or in space.

</ARTICLE><ARTICLE>NFL Comparison

Jordan Babineaux

</ARTICLE><ARTICLE id=yui_3_5_0_5_1363991520826_22>Bottom Line

One of the hardest-hitting safeties in the 2013 draft class, Cyprien offers enough range to be reliable in box coverage while displaying an aggressive mentality againt ball carriers and receivers. He plays smart, and that might be the most improtant trait when looking at safeties. However, despite it being unique, Cyprien doesn't have a very well known name ... yet. </ARTICLE></SECTION>

<!-- clear your column set -->
<!-- start right column -->

<!-- END DECORATOR yui/global --><IFRAME style="WIDTH: 0px; DISPLAY: none; HEIGHT: 0px" id=destination_publishing_iframe_nfl_0 src="http://fast.nfl.demdex.net/dest3.html?d_nsid=0#http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fdraft%2F2013%2Fprofiles%2Fjohn-cyprien%3Fid%3D2539223"></IFRAME>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom