SR's Opinion On MLB Lofton (1 Viewer)

Seems like Lofton is pretty much regarded as the shining star in a down season for you guys.

What about Spag's system went wrong? I remember when we were battling for hiring DCs (New Orleans and Atlanta) an overwhelming majority of posters here thought thay they had the better end of the deal with Spags. Were injuries to blame for the lack of defense? lack of right personnel? Or had Spags reputation made him seem better than he really was?

Since you're asking questions, I've got one for you: Are y'all scared ******** about next season that even with the worst defense in NFL history and no head coach the Saints managed to win 7 games and split with y'all?:hihi:

I understand that the Saints had a horrible defense, but given all the distractions, I thought Spags would have been given a pass. I couldn't believe it when I saw that he was fired.

This is the best time to build a new defense. Period. We can't do worst. So it was to start from zero with Spagnuolo's or any other system.

Coach Payton said that he thought right now we are more suitable for a 3-4 front (and I agree), and also, they have realized that is easier to find 3-4 players in the draft now. I may add that the system may be cheaper since rush linebackers are paid like, linebackers, not ends.

I like Coach Spagnuolo, but basically his system was not a good fit since we don't have serious pass rushers in our line, or zone defensive backs.

I do hope it takes time and Coach Payton brings the right candidate, not whomever is available.

No i'm not scared. I believe that both the Falcons and the Saints have come an extremely long way from the days of the NFC West where we were annual door mats. Both teams have risen to the top marquee teams in the NFL. I LOVE the rivalry that we have. Luckily for the Falcons, divisional losses don't matter like they do in college ball. I would be ok with losing 3-4 games a year within the division as long as we take care of business elsewhere.

The Saints have owned us the past several years, but the Falcons have managed to limit the damage and beat the other teams on their schedule to turn it into playoff appearances. I'm excited that SP is back. It will be interesting to see who the Saints hire as the DC and to see what kind of scheme and playcalling he brings to the table.

Lofton is what we thought he was... He was better than than the MLB the Failcons replaced him with... Ask Vernon Davis if the Falclowns have figured out how to stop TEs since C-Lo left...

C-Lo will be better in the 3-4, but he is what he is... Your thread made me think if the Failcons choking away the #1 seed again last season, and that made me smile.

I sure am glad that at the age of 36, you can hide behind a computer and act like a 12 year old. Just go ahead and leave this thread and let the real adults stick to an ACTUAL conversation of football without stupid childish jabs.

Decent against the run, bad against the pass. Hopefully he will strive more in a system more suited to the players around him. He had a lot of guys struggling around him so that probably brought his overall play down.

This is the best time to build a new defense. Period.

This is actually a very good point and I didn't really think of it. The surplus of LB's seems like making the switch to 3-4 wouldn't be too hard at all for the Saints. All that y'all would need would be to get a big gap plugging NT via free agency or the draft, and maybe get a beefy DE on the outside to help with the run stopping.

Hawthorne seems atheletic enough to have blitz packages built for him. Whatever happened to Casillas? Was he injured last year or just not used? It seems like outside of Vilma, and Lofton, y'all have a young LB corps that could really benefit from being let loose in a 3-4.

What about the secondary? Roman Harper doesn't seem like he would be a 3-4 fit, but his cap penalty is pretty significant. What direction do you think the Saints will go with the secondary if the switch to a 3-4 is made.

What about the secondary? Roman Harper doesn't seem like he would be a 3-4 fit, but his cap penalty is pretty significant. What direction do you think the Saints will go with the secondary if the switch to a 3-4 is made.

This is the most interesting element of the switch. With what we have right now, I think we can manage on a front seven with Akeem Hicks and Cam Jordan at ends and Bunckley at the nose. Lofton and Hawthorne patrolling the middle with Gallete and Wilson as rush ends.

I can see Wilson and Hawthorne as our cover linebackers in nickle and dime, with possibly Harper also doing the same function.

Now, the biggest question is the system the new coach will bring to the secondary. As of now I think the way to go is mostly man and avoid zone, where we are killed often. Right now I see Robinson and Greer at corners with Jenkins either at the slot receiver or the tight end. Right now our starter at Free Safety is Issa Abdul Quddus and maybe Harper at the strong position.

During Gibbs' and Williams' adminstrations we tried to play interchangeable safeties, but it has not worked, because both Jenkins and Harper are slow to react.

I think maybe our biggest need right now is a center fielder safety that can protect us against the big play, but most importantly, to put our corners in order. One thing for sure, we can,t expect better results leaving a 10 year island between corners and receivers. I see more press coverage besides the increase of pressure.

We are fascinated with the front 7, but maybe our biggest need is to put our secondary in order.

We love Lofton, he is sooo much more than we had, tackling machine. love him

No i'm not scared. I believe that both the Falcons and the Saints have come an extremely long way from the days of the NFC West where we were annual door mats. Both teams have risen to the top marquee teams in the NFL. I LOVE the rivalry that we have. Luckily for the Falcons, divisional losses don't matter like they do in college ball. I would be ok with losing 3-4 games a year within the division as long as we take care of business elsewhere.

The Saints have owned us the past several years, but the Falcons have managed to limit the damage and beat the other teams on their schedule to turn it into playoff appearances. I'm excited that SP is back. It will be interesting to see who the Saints hire as the DC and to see what kind of scheme and playcalling he brings to the table.

I might have missed your intro in another thread, but I'm impressed w/ the reasonable and insightful manner in which you post here...

I might have missed your intro in another thread, but I'm impressed w/ the reasonable and insightful manner in which you post here...

Thanks bud. I love to talk football and i'm not into all of the trash talk because someone supports another grown man wearing a different colored jersey. They play the game for our entertainment, and that's how I approach it.

Lofton is a beast and I expect him to have a career year in the 3-4. He struggled a bit last year but that was more so because of Spags D than him IMO.

Lofton played well. Did what we hired him to do, IMO.

Well I am glad that you guys like Lofton. I liked him as well for his run stopping ability, but he did struggle (as did the rest of our defense, even this year) against the intermediate pass.

I think a switch to a 3-4 will do wonders for Lofton. Much like what the switch to the 3-4 did for Ray Lewis when he started losing a step. He can still cause havoc in the run game but it should protect him a little bit more from the pass and having to go sideline to sideline. Which was never one of his strong points. He can be THE consumate thumper in the 3-4. Place Tez or Hawthorne next to him and let those guys do the majority of the coverage work as they are a bit more fleet footed than Curtis.

Overall his leadership will take over for the departed Vilma. I think hell look better this year because the defense as a whole will look better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom