SR's Opinion On MLB Lofton (1 Viewer)

I tried asking this in another thread, but I think it went unnoticed...

Whatever happened to Casillas? I thought I remember reading somewhere here that he was a playmaker, but just wasn't getting enough time.

Thanks bud. I love to talk football and i'm not into all of the trash talk because someone supports another grown man wearing a different colored jersey. They play the game for our entertainment, and that's how I approach it.

A reasonable Falcons fan!?
inconceivable.jpg

But seriously, thanks for being a voice of reason on here.

hahahahaha... that's awesome..

And it's not a problem. I unfortunately cannot speak for every Falcons fan, just myself. It's a shame that people have to act the way they do sometimes.

Casillas may or may not be retained. I like his aggression but im not so sure he wouldn't want to go somewhere that he could start.

If he stayed hed have to gain a little weight...which i think his frame is maxed out to be a backup@ ILB/special teams contributor and maybe come in for nickel situations.

Lofton was our biggest asset. He was on a mission to prove that he was an every down back, and I personally believe he did a great job. I'd almost be scared to think WHERE the defense would have been without him. You can't overlook that this guy has started ALL 16 games for the defense, I have ZERO complaints about Lofton, and I only look forward to how he plays in a 3-4 scheme.

As far as Spags, I'll be honest with you, I never saw a ton of intensity. Of course for comparison, we had GW, who was very mouthy, and 'in your face' more. I believe if Coach Payton was there, it would have been a different story for sure. But, he felt the change was needed enough to let him loose.

Lofton was our biggest asset. He was on a mission to prove that he was an every down back, and I personally believe he did a great job. I'd almost be scared to think WHERE the defense would have been without him. You can't overlook that this guy has started ALL 16 games for the defense, I have ZERO complaints about Lofton, and I only look forward to how he plays in a 3-4 scheme.

Lofton will be ok in zone coverage and dropping back and getting depth. ITs when hes asked to cover a faster RB out the backfield or a TE down the seam man to man. He doesn't have good ball skills. His height also allows QB's to drop Balls right over his head into the WR's hands.

HE will probably be the SILB in the 3-4 rather than the weakside. His responsibility will only be the Bgap/blitzing/some zone. I think we will see him with more tackles for loss next year.

Lofton will be ok in zone coverage and dropping back and getting depth. ITs when hes asked to cover a faster RB out the backfield or a TE down the seam man to man. He doesn't have good ball skills. His height also allows QB's to drop Balls right over his head into the WR's hands.

HE will probably be the SILB in the 3-4 rather than the weakside. His responsibility will only be the Bgap/blitzing/some zone. I think we will see him with more tackles for loss next year.

I believe you are right on this. But I just believe he was relied on a ton to do just about everything last season, and that that would be his impact for our defense. I'm not saying these may be some weaknesses, but I think he did well given the situation, and filled in great.

As far as TFL, yes, I believe the penetration will be right for him to make some good plays next season.

I tried asking this in another thread, but I think it went unnoticed...

Whatever happened to Casillas? I thought I remember reading somewhere here that he was a playmaker, but just wasn't getting enough time.
He is a good player but his biggest problem is his inability to really shed blocks. I think he is an above average Nickel LB who is really good at coverage and he is pretty fiery. I hope we keep him around for a Nickel LB / special teams role.

He is a good player but his biggest problem is his inability to really shed blocks. I think he is an above average Nickel LB who is really good at coverage and he is pretty fiery. I hope we keep him around for a Nickel LB / special teams role.

I agree. As a role player, JC can still help us. He's a vet, but still young (25). He's lil undersized, but he's fast and plays hard. In '11, he had 5 starts, with over 40 tackles and 3 sacks.

Not everybody is gonna be a full time starter. You need players like a Casillas on your team.

I just wanted to start a thread and get an idea of how y'all felt Lofton played coming off the injury. Did he exceed expectations? What are your worries going forward with him? Are you glad that you guys signed him?

Lofton was pretty much a one man tackling machine. He was in on all the plays. One of the hardest working guys on the field.

I share the same opinion USAF Hart, great against the run, liability in coverage. The liability in coverage was most noticeable, to me, in the red zone. I thought his pass coverage in space was decent.

He never complained and always gave effort. I really like him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom