SSF refuge clubhouse (1 Viewer)

Happy to see I’m not alone, not only has my interest in the NFL has diminished but I don’t remember the last time I spent an entire Sunday watching games

It's been awhile since I felt like I absolutely had to watch all three typical Sunday time slots. I remember during the 2017 season in particular, it seemed like the Saints had a lot of Noon games, moreso than usual. This was also during a stretch where they were winning 8 games in a row after an 0-2 start. So I would watch the Saints win, then head out to an area where I Iiked to do some running, since it was only 3:30-ish or so. Somehow became a mini-tradition that I still try to do after Noon Saint victories.

Thank you for this thread.
I do have a confession though. I’ve been trying really hard to care about all this football stuff but honestly I can’t and I don’t. It really is just entertainment and that about wraps it up for me.
I fear that I am becoming too cynical in my old age, and I’m starting to shrug my shoulders at things like sports. I used to be the ultimate caveman. Now, I’m turning into my grandma. Someone hold me, please. :covri:
similar, but it's really just football (even college to a degree) - I still will watch most any athletic competition that comes on - Alpine skiing, Ax throwing, Korean baseball, rugby, whatever
there is now way too much 'noise' and not enough 'signal' when it comes to football

I feel similarly. Two things I can think of happened that started this for me. First, the Saints won the Superbowl. I was pretty sure I was going to die before I saw that happen. Once they won, there was a huge decrease in any sense of urgency. I saw them reach the top and felt that was pretty good. I still enjoy watching them play, but there's no where near the same level of attachment that I once had.

Second - kids happened. I started coaching their sports and helping them out with their projects, and it is way more emotionally satisfying to watch them learn new things, to try and fail and then try again and succeed. Watching them hit new accomplishments and beam with pride makes pro sports pale in comparison.

I still really enjoy watching sports. But it's put into a better perspective for me. I'll watch a game, enjoy it, and then when it's over, I go about my life and stop thinking about a game.

Last edited:
there is now way too much 'noise' and not enough 'signal' when it comes to football

I’ll echo what a lot of y’all are saying.. I still love football, and have become more of a college football fan as I’ve gotten older.. i used to be all NFL, all the time- now it’s about 50/50 in terms of what i like to watch.. but i still love it, even though it’s not as big a part of my life as it once was to keep up with what EVERY team is doing, and exactly what’s happening off the field like it’s some kind of daytime soap opera... . No kids for me, i think it’s just getting older, and also , as someone mentioned above- once the Saints won the Super Bowl, i said “I’m good”... still pay attention, but if they never win another one in my lifetime, Feb 7th, 2010 will keep me warm for the rest of my days.

Also, i think Guido’s post i quoted above sums it up well- funny, my absolute favorite part of game day used to be the pregame shows and all the hype, sometimes i enjoyed that more than the games themselves.. now it does seem like more ‘noise’ to me than anything, and i just like the actual games more, and sometimes catch highlights afterwards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom