Ssshhhhh... a little Saints talk back here please (1 Viewer)

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ok guys, I would like to talk a little Saints football back here away from the stampede. There will be a couple of negative Brees thoughts so if you get offended, now is the tie to leave.

A couple of guys and I were talking today and the Brees contract came up. I am not sure if this was ever discussed on SSF or not. The question is did his mega contract rub some players the wrong way? Forget about whether he was worth it or not in our mind. What do the players think when they are laying in bed about to go to sleep?

Are we seeing the fallout of that mega contract? Do we have some receivers and lineman just a little jealous/upset? Do we have some running backs a little discouraged that we are a pass first offense? Are the tailback chip blocks a little less chippier?

How much influence does Drew have on our pass first scheme? Is he really considered a team leader now or more of a selfish individual? Would Drew had better served himself if he would have agreed to a smaller contract leaving some money available for other players?

I of course have no clue what it is like to negotiate a multi-million dollar contract. I do know that as an employee of a small company (which is what the Saints really are), if one employee received the kind of contract Drew did, there would be riots in the parking lot. There wold be some attitudes. There would be some dissension in the ranks. Mumbling around the cooler.

Did we create a monster with the mega contract?

I don't think Drew's contract made the other players look at him any different. They all know he played his heart out and has been underpaid the past six years (comparing to the pay of other elite qb's). IMO though especially with JG to see Gronk and Hernandez get those big contracts in the offseason and the front office not even attempt to begin negotiations with him, I could see where that would rub him the wrong way.

I don't think Drew's contract made the other players look at him any different. They all know he played his heart out and has been underpaid the past six years (comparing to the pay of other elite qb's). IMO though especially with JG to see Gronk and Hernandez get those big contracts in the offseason and the front office not even attempt to begin negotiations with him, I could see where that would rub him the wrong way.

That is true and a good point. He was under paid for many years and he probably earned a great deal of respect from the players because of that.

I am not trying to point the finger at Drew or but the blame solely on him. I just thought it was a good topic to discuss. In relating it to a typical company, I could see how some would be upset that one guy got such a huge contract.

I think the players seemed genuinely happy for Drew when they were interviewed after the fact. Is it possible there are a few grumblings, of course. But I think you underestimate the goodwill Drew creates naturally by his leadership and personality. From everyone who makes public statements about Drew, this is a special person. Someone who is universally liked and admired.

I've followed his career since Purdue, and even met someone who had a couple classes with him there. He said he was a very genuine, down-to-earth person, someone who everyone gravitates toward. So that's my take, anyway, FWIW.

I'll never get the under paid angle. He signed the top QB(comparable to Brady) contract when he signed with the Saints to start with.

They hate him.
PS Movies don't have a salary cap.
Wrong, movies have a budget. Schedule F actors have payment schedule that equals out to a certain total. 99% of the time when a movie goes over budget it is not because of Actors, but because of crew wages and purchases.

Teams thrive on consistency and routine. The Saints had the offseason from hell with more distractions then most teams face in a decade. Brees contract negotiations were a small part of the distractions of the offseason. Seems likely that if the contract stuff was the only distraction this offseason the team would not be unraveling.

I think the other players realize that without Brees, they are nowhere near playoff caliber, although this year is different.
Although, like has already been said, this offseason was filled with distractions, and the organization as a whole has been hit with the most incomprehensible penalties without evidence of any sport in history, I would imagine that other players realize that Brees has no effect on thier contracts, that is on the organization. If you want to keep top quality players, you find a way to make it happen.
New England has been doing it for years!

To clarify... Brees' contract may stangle hold the Saints, but his contreact is not the only one, and his contract is one of the very few that has actually been earned!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom