St. David's mock draft version 1.0 (1 Viewer)

St. David

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
This mock draft has no trades and just based on team needs and value as I believe NFL teams see the draft prospects value wise.

Round 1
(001) 1 Miami - DE Vernon Gholston, Ohio State (fits system better then other prospects)
(002) 2 St. Louis - LT Jake Long, Michigan
(003) 3 Atlanta - QB Matt Ryan, Boston College (Joey and Redmen says it all)
(004) 4 Oakland - DE/OLB Chris Long, Virginia (can't pass up on Howie's son)
(005) 5 Kansas City - LT Branden Albert, Virginia (Fans will be shocked people inside the NFL won't be. He may be a better LT then Long!)
(006) 6 New York Jets - RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas (they can't let him go to the Pats)
(007) 7 New England (from sf) - CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy State (best player at position of great need)
(008) 8 Baltimore - CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
(009) 9 Cincinnati - DT Sedrick Ellis, USC (Bengals want a nose tackle)
(010) 10 New Orleans - DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU (no brainier here)
(011) 11 Buffalo - WR Devin Thomas, Michigan State (he is moving up draft boards)
(012) 12 Denver - LT Ryan Clady, Boise State
(013) 13 Carolina - DE Derrick Harvey, Florida
(014) 14 Chicago - RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois (need RB and he played at Illinois)
(015) 15 Detroit - OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh
(016) 16 Arizona - CB Mike Jenkins, USF
(017) 17 Minnesota - OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
(018) 18 Houston - LB Keith Rivers, USC
(019) 19 Philadelphia - WR Limas Sweed, Texas
(020) 20 Tampa Bay - WR DeSean Jackson, California (Galloway Jr.)
(021) 21 Washington - WR Malcom Kelly, Oklahoma
(022) 22 Dallas - RB Jonathon Stewart, Oregon (they pick the best RB and if need be can wait on him getting healthy)
(023) 23 Pittsburgh - OT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College
(024) 24 Tennessee - WR James Hardy, Indiana
(025) 25 Seattle - WR Early Doucet, LSU (Deion Branch will be out most of the year)
(026) 26 Jacksonville - DE Phillip Merling
(027) 27 San Diego - OT Sam Baker, USC (starting RT is Jeromey Clary right now that says it all)
(028) 28 Dallas - WR Mario Manningham, Michigan (Terry Glenn Jr? lol)
(029) 29 San Francisco (from ind) - OLB Quentin Groves, Auburn
(030) 30 Green Bay - S Kenny Phillips ,Miami (boy are they happy to get Phillips here!)
--forfeited (ne - penalty)
(031) 31 New York Giants - LB Jerod Mayo, Tennessee (Smart MLB/OLB that is moving up fast)

Round 2
(032) 1 Mia - QB Joe Flacco, Delaware (this is the guy Bill wants and he will get)
(033) 2 StL - DE Calais Campbell, Miami
(034) 3 Atl (from oak) -DT Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina (they are very happy to take Balmer since they passed on Dorsey at 3)
(035) 4 KC - QB Brian Brohm, U of Louisville
(036) 5 Car (7from NYJ) - OT Carl Nicks, Nebreska (he can play OG or OT they need both)
(037) 6 Atl - CB Aqib Talib, Kansas (Hall's replacement
(038) 7 Bal - QB Chad Henne, Michigan (McNair's replacement)
(039) 8 SF - S Reggie Smith, Oklahoma (they need a FS BAD)
(040) 9 NO - LB Dan Conner, Penn State (Best player available)

Branden Albert, I'm pretty sure, is a G. I'm pretty dissapointed with this mock. It is poorly done. No way both DTs fall that far. Devin Thomas, most likely, will not be the 1st WR taken. Early Doucet will not be drafted that high. Dan Conner will not fall to us in the 2nd.

Appreciate the work though.

It's a pretty decent mock. I like the gholston pick and i like the TB-DJackson pick. But i'm gonna have to disagree on the Brandon Albert pick. He only started 2 games at Tackle his entire college career. He was nothing special...he was decent , but once Eugene Monroe got healthy he was put back at gaurd. He lacks the overall technique to be a LT...he could at one point be a good RT but that will be after a few years. His position is at gaurd and thats where he belongs. He should have stayed in school and worked on technique....coming out early deprived him of maybe getting some tackle work in. And if i'm in the top 5 i'm not shelling out top 5 money to someone who might be able to play LT for me. I'm gonna take the guy whose played it and has excelled at it. Long is probably the best Tackle available..he should be the pick.
I also see Mike Jenkins possibly falling out the first round a la Chris Houston....just my gut feeling.
All in all a decent draft and it gives us something to talk about.

But i do agreee...Albert may be the best O-lineman in the draft....but not tackle.

Branden Albert, I'm pretty sure, is a G. I'm pretty dissapointed with this mock. It is poorly done. No way both DTs fall that far. Devin Thomas, most likely, will not be the 1st WR taken. Early Doucet will not be drafted that high. Dan Conner will not fall to us in the 2nd.

Appreciate the work though.

before I did the draft I didn't think either DT would be there at 10 but as I did research and checked on needs and team draft interest this is the draft I came up with. I feel pretty strong about it and I don't see many changes I do beleive teams will trade up and down but I didn't want to try to project trades so some of the guys will go higher and some will go lower based on trades/new team needs.

It's a pretty decent mock. I like the gholston pick and i like the TB-DJackson pick. But i'm gonna have to disagree on the Brandon Albert pick. He only started 2 games at Tackle his entire college career. He was nothing special...he was decent , but once Eugene Monroe got healthy he was put back at gaurd. He lacks the overall technique to be a LT...he could at one point be a good RT but that will be after a few years. His position is at gaurd and thats where he belongs. He should have stayed in school and worked on technique....coming out early deprived him of maybe getting some tackle work in. And if i'm in the top 5 i'm not shelling out top 5 money to someone who might be able to play LT for me. I'm gonna take the guy whose played it and has excelled at it. Long is probably the best Tackle available..he should be the pick.
I also see Mike Jenkins possibly falling out the first round a la Chris Houston....just my gut feeling.
All in all a decent draft and it gives us something to talk about.

But i do agreee...Albert may be the best O-lineman in the draft....but not tackle.

I don't know of many 6'7" Guards in the nfl also not many that have his athletic ability watch this highlight reel.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7L1h1uZfk4M&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7L1h1uZfk4M&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Watch his feet and see how athletic he is and how he moves?.... THATS a LT in the NFL playing Guard in college.

BTW Virginia has the best LT prospect in college football right now in Eugene Monroe. When he was coming out he was ranked 3rd over all on rivals.

Last edited:
I don't know of many 6'7" Guards in the nfl also not many that have his athletic ability watch this highlight reel.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7L1h1uZfk4M&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7L1h1uZfk4M&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Watch his feet and see how athletic he is and how he moves?.... THATS a LT in the NFL playing Guard in college.

BTW Virginia has the best LT prospect in college football right now in Eugene Monroe. When he was coming out he was ranked 3rd over all on rivals.

I look at highlight reels like I look at Baseball batting averages. Mickey Mantle is one of the greatest if not THE greatest baseball player ever and he had a .300 batting avg. Thats great...but 70% of the time he did NOTHING. Thats just like a highlight reel...we see a guy make 5 or 6 great plays...awesome....but what did he do the other 500 snaps while he played. Highlights are fun to watch but in no way should determine a players full worth.

Yes he is quite large for a Gaurd and he does have athletic feet...great....all the top o-line prospects have that going for them too. I'm not saying he can't play tackle....he can...but not the same way Long or Clady or Otah or Williams can. They can come in right off the bat. They have game and position experience. Some team may draft him to play tackle but he's a better gaurd regardless of his size and athleticism. He'll go as high as...well I could see us taking him at 10 or he could fall as far to 25 to Seattle. I think he'll be one of the best Gaurds in the game...an average tackle though.
Look at it this way...who would you rather have? Jeff Backus or Steve Hutchinson?

I don't think Thomas will be picked before Sweed. Albert is not a top 5 player. I love your second round mock so far. The first isn't that far off. Bold predictions. I like that

I think that if dorsey slips just a little he could slide to us and here is why...
Of the top ten the two DT'd only fit certian schemes and most of those teams hae other needs with players just as good on the board.

Miami- Chris Long IMO will end up with a Long to start the 3-4
St Louis- Jake Long would be the pick for sure in my mind but if he is gone I see them taking Gholston.
Atlanta- Matt Ryan They have no QB and need a face to the franchise.
Oakland- Darren McFadden Oakland is in love with him sorry NE.
Kansas City- Branden AlbertI totally agree with the idea here this is the player nobody thought would go top 10.
Jets- Vernon Gholston DT's Doesn't fit the scheme.
NE- Leodis McKelvin DT's Doesn't fit the scheme and they need CB's.
Balt- DRC Matt Ryan would be the easy pick but the need a CB to help the aging secondary.
Cinn- Dorsey He is the better athlete.
NO- Ellis i would die if this all happened.

I just do not see Dorsey going after Ellis. Both are good players but a team especially like Cinn. will take the more athletic guy

there is just no way that dorsey and ellis will go 9 and 10! I mean, i would love Dorsey too, but it's not gonna happen guys. (Unless we trade up). They are both way too coveted to fall that far.

You are not going to draft a college Guard in the Top Ten hoping to convert him to LT.

Albert played some LT when the starter was injured. I heard his coach on an interview on Sirius NFL...he said after about a week of practicing the position he looked like it was his natural position. If you would have seen tape from the games he played LT not knowing he was substituting, you could not tell he wasn't their starter.

He is moving up.

This mock draft has no trades and just based on team needs and value as I believe NFL teams see the draft prospects value wise.

Round 1
(025) 25 Seattle - WR Early Doucet, LSU (Deion Branch will be out most of the year)

Round 2
(040) 9 NO - LB Dan Conner, Penn State (Best player available)

After his poor timing in the 40 for his pro day, Doucet will not be drafted in the 1st round...maybe not in the 2nd either.

Dan Conner will not be available in the 2nd.

That would be a huge first 2 rounds David, it would make my millenium

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom