st dude at the movies: 300 (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Add me to the group that was eagerly awaiting 300 to hit the theaters. I have always enjoyed ancient history and the story of Sparta and Athens was my favorite. I also had seen and loved the original 300 spartan movie (starring Richard Egan) when I was a boy. Add to that I was a semi fan of director Frank Miller's Sin City, a flawed but very original and different movie. Finally, like most everyone else, I had seen a half dozen trailers for 300 and the hook had been set pretty good with me.

The story is based on fact, and its one thats been repeated in history. 300 Spartans led by King Leonidas fought thousands of Persians and other Asians under the command of Xerxes at Thermapylae and they became the inspiration for all Greeks to unite and later defeat the Persians at the battle of Salamis. It reminds me of the Alamo, its just that you had Texans instead of Greeks; Mexicans instead of Persians; Davy Crockett instead of Leonidas and Santa Anna instead of Xerxes. And just like the battle of the Alamo inspired the texans to unite, so did the battle at Thermapylae unite the Greek nation which at the time was composed of city states that often warred against each other.

I went to see Music and Lyrics a couple of weeks ago, so my wife owed me a man flick big time. 300 is the ultimate man flick with more heads being lopped off per minute than any film I can ever remember. Actually, that was my major complaint with the movie. I did not grow up on video games featuring decapitations and I still cringe watching guys get their arms, legs and heads whacked off. The battle scenes were so incredibly stylishly filmed. The gore detracted from that for me. I guess there must be something wrong with me, I just do not enjoy seeing heads roll with blood gushing from the neck and swords pushed through eyeholes.

I also thought a few of the villians got a little too much comic book for me. Some of the bad guys were awesome, but some had swords for hands and stuff like that which was a bit overboard.

The big shocker for me when we walked out was that my wife(who hates gore and fight scenes) absolutely loved the movie. I immediately knew why. It was the abs on the Spartans. I kid you not, she thought the muscular and ultra macho Spartans were hotter than a barrel of Chippendale dancers. In fact I have been doing sit ups and crunches ever since we got home now that I know she is so hot for the washboard abs.

I did like the movie. Its hard to describe a Frank Miller movie to someone who has not seen one. The filming is so artsy and different. The courage of the Spartan soldiers is intoxicating. And the movie features two of my favorite movies lines ever. The first is when the Persians demand the Spartans surrender or their arrows will blot out the sun, tow which the Spartans reply "Then we will fight in the shade". The other is when Xerxes offers Leonidas his life if he will kneel before him, this fate Leonidas and his men have kille thousands of Persians. Leonidas replies words to the effect that he would like to kneel but he has a cramp in his thigh from killing so many Persians and can't kneel.

I am going to give 300 8 out of 10 beans. I would have given it more beans it more for less gore, but thats just me. Now back to the crunches for me. I am going to have six pack abs for the beach this year.

photo_44.jpg

photo_40.jpg

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty good. I learned about all that here a couple years ago, when i attempted to actually do the college thing at the age of 29-30. Interesting stuff. I thought they portrayed Xerxes pretty cool. I liked his voice and stature in the movie. He was a very Powerful man, and the movie did a good job of making sure that he was JUST a man and not a god.

Yes, I thought this movie was awesome. I am a huge history buff, but you can't go into this movie thinking that it will be historically accurate. Some things were true, but the movie was for intertainment purposes first and foremost.

just watched it tonight. that guy was tall ^. great movie though

Speaking of great war movie lines. One of my favorite is from The Patriot with Mel Gibson.

When Gibsons character is setting the strategy for the coming battle at Cowpens in which the citizen miltia plays a big role:

Martin: ... so all we're asking is that the
front line of militia fires two shots.

Militia Man: Lot can happen in the time it takes
to fire two shots, 'specially against British regulars.

Martin: Which is why I'm not asking for
three shots.

I will say that on a second viewing it did lose just a little bit. So now I can say Sin City was a better film because Sin City gets better with each viewing.

apparently the 'fight in the shade' line was actually said at the battle, at least according to greek historian herodotus and author Steven pressfeild. (gates of fire)

the spiel (tell a passer by etc...) at the end is engraved on some moment at the battlesight

I really didn't think the movie was as gorey as what everyone was making it out to be. I only remember 3 heads being chopped off (which is bad enough for some I guess). But the way it was done wasn't exactly gorey or anything. It didn't seem much worse than any other movie for that genre.

My fiance loved the film. And it wasn't because of the men. She is a big fan of those types of movies. Anyway, she cringes at blood, makes her want to vomit most the time actually. And she was able to sit through it, at an IMAX showing no less, without a problem. She said the blood didn't look real enough to make her sick.

The movie was so much more layered than most movies I've seen. I think this fact alone takes it to a different level. The director really understands the medium and in my opinion perfectly meshes a good story, great visiuals, cool music, sexy people, and just an overall tone that never drifts through the entire 2 hours. The best part for me was that I think you can stillframe any scene and see a perfect visiual composition through poses, color, & placed elements. Really well done on all levels.
Also I picked up the hardcover graphic novel off Amazon for 40% off and have enjoyed it as well.

I think thee action to suspense ratio was a little off in 300. It was a good movie, but I got kind of bored during it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom