st dude sec game of the week: Ole Miss at South Carolina (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ole Miss probably has about the easiest away schedule one can have in the SEC this year. They get South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Auburn and Mississippi State. One might argue those are the four weakest teams in the SEC, cetainly four of the weakest teams.

But it is the SEC and as good as Ole Miss looks to be this year, they do not (yet?)have the look of a dominant team that can go out, play poorly, and still win easily.

South Carolina has been better under Spurrier, but they do not get a lot of big wins in the SEC. Their game this year at Georgia is typical for them. They came very close to beating a very talented SEC East team. They just cannot seem to get it done in the end.

I went to South Carolina last year to see them play LSU, a game they easily could have won. They just did not. The problem for Ole Miss going in is that you never know when a team like South Carolina will have the breaks go their way and win a big game. Spurrier is a top notch coach. I think South Carolina will probably be the biggest road test for Ole Miss this year. It should be a good barometer for the rebels. A top ten team should beat South Carolina on any field(Florida beat them by 50 last year). South Carolina is a solid middle of the pack SEC team, though, who can easily beat another middle of the pack SEC team and/or upset a good team not on its game.

Everybody needs to keep track of their record against the spread. I am 1-0 in our sec challenge games having taken Tennessee last week with the points. This week Ole Miss is a 3 and 1/2 point favorite. I think the rebels will win, but not beat the spread so I am taking South Carolina plus the 3 and 1/2 points. Last year South Carolina did beat Ole Miss in Oxford 31 - 24. After that game Ole Miss lost a close one to Alabama and then went on an impressive six game winning streak which included a convincing win over a struggling LSU team in tiger stadium.

Since this is a Thursday game I may do a bonus SEC game fo the week afterwards which will probably be Ark-Kansas at Alabama.

Ole Miss by 10. I am 1-0.

I think st dude is right in predicting a tight game, Dre. Ole Miss could very well win by 10, but South Carolina seems to be clicking on offense. Although South Carolina is getting pretty nicked up early in the season, the Rebels had a bad flu bug go through their team and haven't really played tough competition yet - so its hard to get a read on them. I see the game coming down to a clutch drive by Snead and South Carolina loses a lead deep in the 4th Q.

I'm scared ****less by this game. Traveling to South Carolina on a Thursday night after the early season we've had is a recipe for disaster. Granted, top 5 teams generally win these games anyways, but this is arguably our toughest game of the season for reasons only marginally related to the opponent.

ESPN ****ed us out of playing TCU this season and ****ed us with this ridiculously timed Thursday night away game as far East as Ole Miss can go.

Oh well, at least it's not opening the season at Washington :covri:

Oh and no predictions for the game. If we play well we win comfortably, but I have a hard time believing we'll play well. I'm praying for "good enough"

I thought I'd be picking South Carolina in this one, but the spread is only 3 1/2? I'll take Ole Miss.

Ole Miss probably has about the easiest away schedule one can have in the SEC this year. They get South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Auburn and Mississippi State. One might argue those are the four weakest teams in the SEC, cetainly four of the weakest teams.

I agree with your assessment of the Rebels' road schedule. Ole Miss looks to be a sentimental favorite with a lot of the pollsters. Perhaps it's due to their long drought from the Top 10.

I guess we'll see how well the BCS system will work in their case. If those teams turn out to be truly weak this year, it is supposed to be a detriment to getting a high ranking. Theoretically, if a team who won against tougher competition ended with the same record as the Rebels, they should finish with a higher rank. But if Ole Miss still claims high BCS rankings despite a cupcake schedule, it will just add more fuel to the "GET US SOME PLAYOFFS!!!" fire.

If Ole Miss wants to seriously compete for an SEC Championship and live up to their present ranking, they had better win this game and win it by at least 7 points.

I agree with your assessment of the Rebels' road schedule. Ole Miss looks to be a sentimental favorite with a lot of the pollsters. Perhaps it's due to their long drought from the Top 10.

I.

Bill, I think the reason the pollsters like Ole Miss is because last year they beat Florida in Florida, nearly beat Alabama and then ran off six wins to end their season. Those wins included convincing wins over LSU and Texas Tech.

Ole Miss was solid at the end of last year playing as well as any team in the country. What the pollsters and everyone else want to see is whether Nutt can sustain that type of play and how bad the loss of Peria Jerry and Michael Oher hurt Ole Miss. Some teams can lose first round NFL talent and reload, some can not.

The other question is how Nutt does with a bulls eye on his head. The rap on him, fair or not, has been one he pulls off big upsets but loses games he should win.

Personally I think Ole Miss is a solid team who can stay top ten if they can beat LSU and/or Alabama and then just win all the other games they should. South Carolina is probably their biggest road test and they are favored in that game.

I will definitely be watching and pulling for South Carolina. If LSU is going to win the West they will likely need Ole Miss and Alabama to lose at least two games each. I have a hard time seeing LSU get through their schedule without a couple losses.

Its a big year for Nutt. As we have seen with Brees qb is the main position on any team. Nutt has a good one with Snead and a decent cast around him. This is Ole Miss's best chance to win the west since Eli's senior year.

If Ole Miss wants to seriously compete for an SEC Championship and live up to their present ranking, they had better win this game and win it by at least 7 points.

All Ole Miss needs to do is win. A month from now all the pollsters will care about is if they won or not.

LSSpam.. you from oxford? me too. Well i've lived there for the past 4 years haha :)

I live in birmingham now, but im coming for the Alabama game October 10th.. should be 1 hell of a game.

Who dat!

Ole miss fan and Saints fan... the ultimate combo

LSSpam.. you from oxford? me too. Well i've lived there for the past 4 years haha :)

I live in birmingham now, but im coming for the Alabama game October 10th.. should be 1 hell of a game.

Who dat!

Ole miss fan and Saints fan... the ultimate combo

Not from Oxford, just in it currently. But yeah i'll be at the Alabama game. Considering traveling up to the Vandy game in Nashville, I got tickets and the drive isnt that bad.

ESPN ****ed us out of playing TCU this season and ****ed us with this ridiculously timed Thursday night away game as far East as Ole Miss can go.

i:

More bad news dude. Now you are up against two hour season premiere of greys anatomy.:no: I guess you will have to tivo the game. :mwink:

My wife is going to pitch a fit if she figures out her show is on while I am watching the football game. :ezbill:

Bill, I think the reason the pollsters like Ole Miss is because last year they beat Florida in Florida, nearly beat Alabama and then ran off six wins to end their season. Those wins included convincing wins over LSU and Texas Tech.

Yeah, there's no doubt that their finish last year coupled with a softer-than-usual road schedule puts them in the drivers seat for taking the SEC Western Conference.
I fear that without at least two SEC losses (one being to LSU), the Tigers won't have a prayer to take the western crown. Obviously, dominance runs in cycles and the Rebels are getting their turn to ride the big wave this time. But as long as the SEC takes the BCS Championship every year, we'll get to show the rest of the nation what conference is truly the toughest!

:9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom