Stan Kwan the other coach hired today {MERGED} (1 Viewer)

stevend

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Hired as asst ST Coach - Seems like a solid coach

22 years in the NFL

Buffalo Bills: Stan Kwan

Kwan served as Detroit’s Special Teams Coordinator from 2008-09. Highlights from 2009 season include:
Ranked fifth in the NFC in average drive start (27.0)
Ranked tied for fourth in the NFL with three special teams turnovers

Below is a list of Detroit’s special teams highlights in 2008:
Forced an NFL-high five special teams turnovers; Plus-four turnover margin led the NFL also
Kickoff coverage unit allowed the fourth-lowest average drive start following kickoffs (25.5)
Ranked second in the NFL in percentage of drives forced inside the 20-yard line following kickoffs (23.81)
K Jason Hanson kicked an NFL-high eight 50-plus yard field goals (became the oldest NFL kicker with eight 50-plus yard field goals); eight 50-plus yard field goals is also tied for the most in an NFL season.

113573057.jpg

STAN KWAN new Assistans ST coach

Stan Kwan is entering his 10th overall
season in Detroit and his third as special
teams coach. In 2008, his special teams
units combined to force a league-high five
takeaways, and the plus-four special
teams turnover margin topped the NFL as
well. The Lions kickoff coverage unit
allowed the fourth-lowest average drive
start following kickoffs (25.5) last
season, and that unit was second in the
NFL in the percentage of drives forced
inside the 20-yard line following kickoffs
(23.81).

Detroit Lions: Stan Kwan

Could be a hire then promote type thing. I don't think the shake ups are nearly over

I don't think so, we did pretty good with John Bonamego and McMahon in 2011. I think that's probably the route Payton is taking again. Really having co-coaches.

"We like this hire, not because he seems qualified for the position, but because he's a minority. Good job Saints!"

--NFL

Edit:
Really? 11 of you who thumbed me down don't understand a subtle protest against Goodell's remark that the NFL will make sure more minorities are hired and be-damned about qualifications? Sorry if I think hiring only the most qualified should be paramount over skin color. In a business that makes billions of dollars, I find it hard to believe that people are hired because of skin color and not because the owner or GM feels the guy that was hired is the most qualified to help the team win. I certainly wouldn't hire someone because of skin color over the most qualified when I have millions of dollars on the line, and I would think that in this day and age neither do the owners and GMs. But hey, maybe I'm just an optimist in thinking this. Keep thumbing me down if you disagree with my belief in hiring the most qualified person. Won't hurt my feelings or change my belief.

For whatever reason Payton is tied to McMahon and won't fire him, but he knew he had to do something to improve ST, which aside from a great punter who also does a good job of kicking off stunk last season. I'm glad he's at least brought in a guy like Kwan, who should improve the unit's performance.

So why not make him ST coach
Because Payton has some kind of attachment to McMahon that clouds his judgement.

It's good to see the effort, but hope they clearly discussed roles because this could be awkward and make for weird dynamic on the staff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom